You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who had him in the deadlist?

The-Sir

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | The Stooges guitarist found dead

The Stooges guitarist found dead

Asheton formed the group in Michigan in 1967

The Stooges guitarist Ron Asheton has been found dead at his home in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Asheton, 60, was an original member of the rock band fronted by Iggy Pop in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

His riffing featured on hits including I Wanna Be Your Dog, No Fun and Down On The Street.

Police sergeant Brad Hill said there were no signs of foul play, and the musician's death appeared to be from natural causes.

He said officers discovered Asheton after being called to his home on Tuesday by an associate who had been unable to reach him for several days.

The band - which also included Asheton's brother Scott on drums and the late Dave Alexander on bass - are on the shortlist to enter the US Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this April.

Split and reform

Formed in 1967, The Stooges were not well-received by critics or fans in their early days but their records, especially 1973's Raw Power, were a key influence on punk.

A tour in support of that album was overshadowed by Pop's heroin addiction, and the group disbanded in February 1974.

Pop went on to score solo hits such as Lust for Life, Real Wild Child and The Passenger.

Asheton, meanwhile, acted in a series of low-budget horror films in the 1980s and 1990s.

He was also ranked as the 29th greatest rock guitarist by Rolling Stone magazine in 2003.

By this time Asheton, his brother Scott and bassist Mike Watt had started playing as The New Stooges. The Stooges officially reformed, along with Iggy Pop, in 2003.

Their first album in three decades, The Weirdness, was released in 2007.

They played Glastonbury the same summer, and last year headlined the Get Loaded event on Clapham Common, south London.

I'm actually quite shocked, I remember watching him play Glasto 2 years ago and his guitar playing was awesome.

Guest TK-421

I doubt anyone has him, Sir, because (puts on Alf Stewart voice) most people wouldn't know a decent rock guitarist if they came up and smashed a Telecaster over their head.

Fuck me, that's a shame.

Top top band, as evidenced by the clip above being on my secret santa. Its only really occurred to me recently that Sonic Youth have basically made a career from "I wanna be your dog". No shame in that but shows how ahead of their time The Stooges were.

Meanwhile, Iggy Pop does adverts for car insurance.

Guest davelfc
Do we have annual dead lists? If not we should arrange such competition. 10 names each.

Bad idea, I get all upset when the people I pick don't die.

Then imagine how spooky it would be if all of the people on your list died.