You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What about a GF wine thread?

biglad

I spent 15 years drinking lager/bitter and not much else, but last year I decided to try wine. Started with the chemical joys of fake German stuff then moved onto BigNBooze white wine best buys. Now my taste buds have moved to the world of red wine: Italian, German and even some of the proper French stuff.

My current suggestion:

Name: Cono Sur Pinot Noir Reserve

Price: 7.99

Why: Light that goes well with both MOTD and Later with Jools Holland.

Can't stop me now; here comes another little number:

Tim Adams

The Aberfeldy Shiraz 2004

£25.99

Tesco

Don't let the price put you off. Cracking smell that tastes more like blackberry juice than wine. Goes well with poker, cheese and slagging past mates on Facebook.

Vasse Felix 'Adams Road' Cabernet Merlot 2005 Margaret River

'This delightful Bordeaux blend offers a concentrated nose of blueberry jam and fresh black currants with spicy edges. Medium bodied, this wine has a generous fruit driven style with vibrant berry fruit characters. Matured in French oak, the wine's soft supple nature makes it approachable to drink from an early age.'

From the website: Winedrinkingforprimaryschoolchildren.com

I'm quite into Sauv Blanc at the moment but on the rare occaissions we drink white at home it'd probably be a soave. We drink dark spicy reds by the bucket load. I'd love to find a source for Lebanese wines in this country. The Red from the Bekka Valley they serve in my local Lebanese restaurant is superb (if you like your wine to taste of spicy straw).

Guest PaddyBerger15

I always thought Red Wine was the discharge of the Devil, but over time, a little drink here and there, I got to the stage where I was willing to part with dough to try it. Since starting in a small way, I have discovered that I enjoy McGuigan Estate Australian Shiraz and Kumala Zenith Shiraz.

These obviously won't be to everybody's tastes, but they tickle my Salmon and are worth trying.

Anything by these geezers is usually really good, albeit fairly pricey.

Home: De Bortoli Wines Pty Limited ... Australian Winemakers Since 1928

They do a Shiraz Tempranillo that costs about a tenner here. I had some a couple of weeks ago. Very nice indeed. They do a bog standard shiraz too which is no great shakes, but very drinkable.

I'm quite into Sauv Blanc at the moment but on the rare occaissions we drink white at home it'd probably be a soave. We drink dark spicy reds by the bucket load. I'd love to find a source for Lebanese wines in this country. The Red from the Bekka Valley they serve in my local Lebanese restaurant is superb (if you like your wine to taste of spicy straw).

Chateaux Musar. Is lovely. Dry as a bone.

Château Musar : Château Musar wine from Château Musar, Lebanon

For anyone that is after a great red, albeit a little pricey try and find any of Rockfords, Charles Melton, Henschke or St. Hallett wines. All from the Barossa Valley in South Australia. They are more boutique wines, but well worth the effort if you can locate some.

Penfolds is another decent supermarket wine also

Not sure where to buy it in England, but Peter Lehmann Shiraz or the Cab Sav are both excellent wines.

Anything by Jacobs Creek is utter gash

Not totally true. I don't like a lot of their stuff but they do a Reserve Riesling and a Steengarten Riesling which are both excellent and won big trophies in Decanter and Wine Challenges.

Aussie Riesling is a real find recently, look for Eden Vally area and Polish Hill in particular.

I'm a Burgundy fan myself and like most Pinots so the recommendations above are good for me.

I'll add M&S basic red Burgundy, which comes from a good producer

My value tip of the day is the 2005 Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz. You can get it for about $10 a bottle down here, which by the time it’s got to the UK should make it available for around a fiver.

It got second best shiraz in the world at some French wine award thingy apparently, so how can you go wrong at 5 quid? There are currently 20 bottles of it in my house.

My value tip of the day is the 2005 Wyndham Estate Bin 555 Shiraz. You can get it for about $10 a bottle down here, which by the time it’s got to the UK should make it available for around a fiver.

It got second best shiraz in the world at some French wine award thingy apparently, so how can you go wrong at 5 quid? There are currently 20 bottles of it in my house.

Good call. I wouldn't read too much into the wine ward things. I have had quite a few prizewinners that were very ordinary indeed. The Bin 555 is dead nice though. Costs about 8 quid here.

For Pinot Noir try Mud House (NZ) and Madfish (SA). Both lovely.

Waterstones are stocking this Best Supermarket Wine book for £7.99 at the moment. Bought it on Sat and then bought a Sainsbury's own Organic Cab Sauv (SA) for around a fiver which was also very good.