You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

And now? We're well and truly fucked.

Unrighteous

Hicks calls for Parry resignation

Rick Parry has been asked to resign by co-owner Tom Hicks

Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks has written to the club's chief executive Rick Parry calling for him to resign.

Hicks is thought to feel that Parry is siding with co-owner George Gillett in the club's ongoing power struggle.

The latest twist comes on the same day that Dubai International Capital announced it was ending its interest in the club until the saga is resolved.

BBC Sport understands Parry is highly unlikely to resign and that Hicks lacks boardroom support for his shock move.

With the club ownership split 50-50 between the two Americans, Hicks would need approval from Gillett to force Parry out of his position.

But in a brief statement, Parry, who has yet to see the three-page letter, said: "It is my intention to remain focused on the job of serving Liverpool Football Club to the best of my abilities at this very important time of our season."

DIC are said to be unwilling to do business while there is so much turmoil at the club.

"You have two partners who do not see eye to eye. And we decided that we pull out completely. Let them sort out their problems," DIC chief executive Sameer Al Ansari told the Liverpool Echo.

He added: "We will continue to be interested and would love to own the club but we are not going to put ourselves in a difficult situation where we make the investment but we have no control over the destiny of the club and we cannot influence the success of the club.

"Unfortunately, the terms that have been put on the table do not allow us to do that."

Only last month, Parry asked for the Liverpool co-owners to resolve their differences.

"If they're not able to co-exist then there needs to be a solution where one buys and one sells, or both sell," Parry told BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek.

"There aren't too many other possibilities but it's pretty clear that to carry on with the status quo is going to be extremely difficult."

Hicks is said to be unhappy with those comments and was not at Anfield on Tuesday night to watch Liverpool defeat Arsenal in the quarter-final of the Champions League.

Gillett was shown on TV world-wide sitting next to Parry in the Liverpool directors' box.

BBC Sport understands Hicks is aiming to take sole control of the club with his relationship with Gillett described as "unworkable".

But although Gillett is willing to sell, it is thought that he is unwilling to sell to Hicks.

The pair have had a tough time since taking control of the club in February 2007.

Despite seeing the club enjoy some success on the pitch, with Liverpool reaching last season's Champions League final, Hicks and Gillett's relationship with manager Rafa Benitez has often been strained.

Benitez has become increasingly frustrated with the lack of transfer funds made available to him over the past year, although he was able to bring in the likes of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel.

The American pair have not endeared themselves to Liverpool supporters who idolise Benitez and have shown their backing for the Spaniard with a series of rallies.

Plans for a new stadium in Stanley Park have also had to be downsized due to rising costs.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to ignore this shit for now. It's imperative that our focus remains on supporting the team. The press will feed off our anger otherwise, I'm certain of it and there'll be a big black cloud over the club, right before a CL semi final. We can rattle fucker's nest in the close season.

Lining Rafa up with Hicks is out of order. Rafa put his neck on the line and took flak from all sides for it. Now he's keeping his head down he's also wrong. I've seen nothing from Rafa apart from a couple of platitudes concerning Hicks.

Lining Rafa up with Hicks is out of order. Rafa put his neck on the line and took flak from all sides for it. Now he's keeping his head down he's also wrong. I've seen nothing from Rafa apart from a couple of platitudes concerning Hicks.

Didn't you see what Dave wrote? Rafa IS with Hicks... it's time fans accepted that. The only reason Rafa spoke out in November wasn't for us but for himself, to save his own job. I believe that now it has come out that he is supporting the same man just because his job is safe.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Rash, I called for the thread to be deleted because it was inflammatory nonsense.

You were alluding AS FACT that Rafa was firmly in Hicks camp, which is blatantly not the case, and as has been proven by some fucking idiots on here, they take that and pass it on as fact.

So if you want to have a go at anyone, have a go at me, i'll happily take it.

Rafa has no influence in any of this anymore. He smoked this whole thing out which is the only thing he could do. His ability to influence things ended there. Now he's keeping his head down I don't see what the problem is. If that means hedging his bets with Hicks then I say fair enough. If he had any influence in these matters then I'd agree he was out of order. But he doesn't so I don't really understand what you realistically expect the man to do.

I don't recall him saying that at all.

I think he said he something along the lines of he seems to be aligning himself with Hicks and the commercial gobshite lad.

Even then I recall him saying he wasn't entirely sure it was 100% true.

I know for a fact that Rafa is with Hicks and that Gobshite Ayre. This is head in the sand stuff Drewy and that's what sickens me. I respect Andy and he does know his stuff but how he can deny that Rafa has sided with Hicks is beyond me, it's clear as the deep blue sea.

From playing games with us every year about going to Madrid and now this, Rafa has always been a political animal, it's why he left Valencia!

I have warmed to Rafa recently, he has ridden out all the crap, got the team behind him and is playing good footy... I want him to stay.. but only if he keeps his fucking arse out of the boardroom shite.

I'd rather Rafa goes than we keep Hicks just to keep Rafa. Hicks is an utter cunt.

Rafa looking after his job is Rafa looking after our best interests.......we are 2 games away from our THIRD champions league final in 4 years and yet some people wanna find any angle to criticise the man solely responsible for that achievemnet, unbefuckinglievable.

You think short term, Hicks keeping Rafa, giving him loads of money from debt and loans on the club is alright? We will be saddled with debt up to our eyeballs long after Hicks and Rafa have finished with us.

When was the last time he was involved in it? The last time he even mentioned it was in response to direct questions from the media. Why I'm even bothering point this nonsense out to you, I don't know.

Mate, Dave. You honestly think Rafa has NOTHING to do with what's going on?