You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

WAZ or W-delta-Z on Amazon Prime- 5/10. It's a shame, this is a cross between Se7en and Saw with a great cast (Stellan Stensgard, Tom Hardy, Sally Hawkins), a decent plot with an interesting twist and a good, grimy atmosphere. And yet it rarely rises above the mundane, possibly because of a lack of budget and a script that just doesn't make you feel invested in any of the characters and kind of goes nowhere at times. Worth a watch if you can't find anything else, but ultimately just a bit disappointing overall.

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Watched The Matrix 4 for the fourth time (no spoilers here), first three with a crappy quality torrent, this was the first time watching it in good quality. I still like it a lot, that's partly because I've been a Matrix fan for over two decades but I still thought the story was good, liked the acting and a lot of the action. After a good opening I thought it got a bit weak for a while, and that happens here and there before the end too but I really enjoyed watching it overall.

Still think like I said in the upcoming films thread that this is better than Matrix 2 and 3, original is still by far my favourite though. It's been a long time since I saw the 2nd and 3rd films so might watch all of them again at some point now that I think there's a better end point.

Four times? How about paying to see this movie series that your purport to love so much?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedKnight said:

Four times? How about paying to see this movie series that your purport to love so much?

I would've paid to see it on HBO but read that I'd have had to use a VPN and mess around because it's not available in the UK. I'll make sure to pay for it when it's released on dvd/blu-ray though. There's other stuff I can do to make up for not paying before that too, like pre-ordering this that I've been wanting later this month/early Jan because it looks neat and I also got a 10th anniversary edition of the first film not that long ago that has a book included in the casing (although I can't remember exactly when or where now that I'm trying to work that out), so I have no issue with buying Matrix stuff.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Just not the metric that could mean future films (box office numbers)?

I used to do that fairly often for the few films I really wanted to watch. Last time I went to cinema though I had several anxiety attacks (including one where I got off the bus halfway there, had to get my head together then wait for another bus to carry on) when I was in a bad place. That was for Doctor Strange 5 years ago. With omicron going around I'd have probably avoided it too.

Going to cinema got less fun as it went on too and the increasing amount of trailers/ads at the start used to piss me off and whatever noise disturbances from other people while watching. So it's not something I miss that much. As long as I can see it in 1080p in good quality at home it's fine.

The Grifters (1980). A delightfully young Annette Benning isn’t shy of taking her kit off alongside John Cusack and Anjelica Huston in a dastardly tale of theft and hoodwinks. 8/10.

4 hours ago, RedKnight said:

39 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Just not the metric that could mean future films (box office numbers)?

Also : if either of you are planning on going to watch this I do agree with your concerns too. To the point that I'll send either of you whatever cash you need for your cinema ticket. It's no problem for me and I'd be genuinely happy to do it so send me a pm if you want to (I'll probably have to do that via paypal though if that's ok.)

• Upvote 1

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

Also : if either of you are planning on going to watch this I do agree with your concerns too. To the point that I'll send either of you whatever cash you need for your cinema ticket. It's no problem for me and I'd be genuinely happy to do it so send me a pm if you want to (I'll probably have to do that via paypal though if that's ok.)

I'm going 100 times mate. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Don't be daft, I don't think the film needed to be made and have no stake in the box office numbers, it's a common thing is all and hurts films/directors.

The fact anxiety is what is keeping you away is understandable which is why i suggested Autism screenings as a way of easing back in. I hate busy cinemas and hate people sitting near me so if it's a film I really want to see I'll pick a quieter time.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Don't be daft, I don't think the film needed to be made and have no stake in the box office numbers, it's a common thing is all and hurts films/directors.

The fact anxiety is what is keeping you away is understandable which is why i suggested Autism screenings as a way of easing back in. I hate busy cinemas and hate people sitting near me so if it's a film I really want to see I'll pick a quieter time.

Yeah I used to make sure to go when it was quiet too if I could. Going normally could be fine at some point too and it's mainly the memory of last time I went that's an issue. Thanks for mentioning it though because it might be worth trying in the future.

The Matrix 4 - 7.5/10

It's obviously not a patch on the original but better than 2 and 3. I thought the recasting of Morpheus and Agent Smith was pretty much spot on despite no Hugo Weaving and Laurence Fishburne. It didn't overcomplicate itself like in the previous sequels and the story/action was engaging. Slightly too long but not as bad as the reviews say.

12 hours ago, Chip Butty said:

Film: Die Hard

Venue: Me bed

Time: Last night sometime

Musings: Whats else is there to say, its a classic. 

Score: 9 Yippee Ki Yays out of 10 Hans Grubers falling

Hans Gruber was told he would be dropped after a 3-2-1 count but he was dropped just after the 3 count. That's why he looks genuinely scared at being dropped.