You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Killing Them Softly 7/10

Decent enough. Could have done without the whole film being played out in front of the Bush / Obama election and trying to give it a social commentary regarding the economic downturn. Added nothing to it, it fact, it took away from it.

Just came across this film on Wikipedia, can't decide if sounds so bad it's good or just bad.

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter is a 2001 cult film from Odessa Filmworks which deals with Jesus' modern-day struggle to protect the lesbians of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, from vampires with the help of Mexican wrestler El Santo.

Plot

The movie begins with Jesus Christ sitting on a beach relaxing and comparing the kingdom of God to a sand castle. He meets up with El Santo and a woman named Mary Magnum. Together they fight lesbian-killing vampires. Jesus fights with mixed martial arts skills and uses his carpentry skills to create weapons to slay vampires.

Looper is indeed dead ace. I would agree with the mark. Strong performances alround and a great story. very good fx and action which served the story rather than vice versa.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt was splendid as indeed was the makeup work to make him look slightly different such that it was a tad unnerving because it was all a tad off centre

Looper 9/10

Loved it, it had everything I like in a movie. I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitt was great, awesome action scenes, really stylish and a great clever story.

I'm definitely going to see it again.

[YOUTUBE]2iQuhsmtfHw[/YOUTUBE]

Killing The Softyl. 2/10, what a load of shite. I nearly fell asleep for only the second time since Green Zone. It's a massive con because when you see the trailer you see Ray Liotta and James Gandolfini and think 'I'll have some of that', but they're both in it for about five minutes and Gandolfini's whole part in the film is pretty pointless. Pitt is basically a toned down Tyler Durden which is no bad thing, in fact I reckon the writer thought 'what if Tyler Durden was a hitman?', which again, is no bad thing.

It's trying to say something clever about the economy and the states, but done in a ham-fisted manner by playing Obama videos in the background, Mark Kermode thoght it was boss but I just don't get it. Shite.

Dredd - 8/10

Karl Urban was boss as Judge Dredd, and the film was a no frills action film. Lots of guns. Lots of 'coolness' factor. I really, really enjoyed the film.

End of Watch - 7/10

Story of two police officers in poor, urban Los Angeles. It shoots more like a documentary, in how it's shot, and it's pretty gripping. I really enjoyed the realistic viewpoint, of course, it has a lot of things happening that wouldn't be the average shift.

That's my boy - 2/10

Shitty film. I gave it a 2 because Vanilla Ice is in it, and he's kinda awesome.

Resident Evil 475082 (Whatever it is this time...) - Resident Evil/10

It's a Resident Evil film. You know what is going to happen, there will be hot chicks in sexy outfits, lots of guns, fighting, zombies, etc. etc. It gives you exactly what is on the tin. Enjoyable.

Dredd. A good 7.5.

Really enjoyed it but the main villain was a proper let down at the end. Might as well not even bothered with that bit.

The beauty of the film for me was that it wasn't all about the bigger picture of Dredd, the world, his life etc. instead, it's just about one event he has to deal with and so you just get straight into it.

Lymelife

Very grainy and one speed from stat to finish. Typical suburban American family/teenage pains saga. Something very American Beauty about it but still enjoyed it. 6/10

I really liked this and it scored a little higher in the aftershave home. I agree, not quite as good but similar pitch as American Beauty. If you care for this sort of thing I can recommend 'Snow Angels', and in particular 'Little Children' which, after some persisting with, proved to be very rewarding.

PS The uncrowned king of this 'sub-genre' for me is 'Happiness'. Not everyone's cup of tea though and I can understand why.

First Blood.

8 headbands out of 10. Brilliant film, and superbly shot in some ace-looking wilderness.

Dennehy (in particular) and Stallone are both OK, but the real star-turn is Richard Crenna's Trautman, who is mesmerisingly terrible and has some of the greatest lines in movie history:

"You don't seem to want to accept the fact you're dealing with an expert in guerrilla warfare, with a man who's the best, with guns, with knives, with his bare hands. A man who's been trained to ignore pain, ignore weather, to live off the land, to eat things that would make a billy goat puke. In Vietnam his job was to dispose of enemy personnel. To kill! Period! Win by attrition. Well Rambo was the best."

"God didn't make Rambo. I made him!"

Dennehy: Are you telling me that 200 of our men against your boy is a no-win situation for us?

Trautman: You send that many, don't forget one thing.

Dennehy: What?

Trautman: A good supply of body bags.