You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ah, yes - the "thin edge of the wedge" fallacy.  Utter bollocks, of course. 

Most players are OK with the pressers. One player finds them so stressful that she'd rather withdraw from a tournament than be forced to go through them. Any decent workplace  - certainly any properly unionised workplace  - would make a "reasonable adjustment" and allow her to swerve the unnecessary thing that's causing her mental health problems. 

Not utter bollocks at all. Every tennis player could feasibly use mental health issues to duck out of future interviews. Possibly same for other sports.

35 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Ronnie OSullivan hinting here he's under an obligation to give interviews.  Otherwise he just wouldn't bother turning up.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/snooker/watch-ronnie-osullivan-puts-on-strange-robotic-voice-for-interview-after-latest-slap-on-the-wrists-35434729.html

I think a lot of people would prefer him not to turn up

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If the organisers required the wheelchair players to walk up the stairs would they ban those that weren’t able to do it? 

She’s got mental health issues, she can’t do do the interviews. She should be able to miss them and just play tennis. 

Curiously her mental health issues never arise during the hard court season. 

Strange that. 

Both parties strike me as a little childish here. Couldn't she get a Doctor's note that waivs her from going to press conferences or something? Surely, if you prove it's effecting your mental health, you could get out of them, or atleast tell press people before hand so they don't ask specific questions. 

And then threatening to kick her out of the tournament is just messed up.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Both parties strike me as a little childish here. Couldn't she get a Doctor's note that waivs her from going to press conferences or something? Surely, if you prove it's effecting your mental health, you could get out of them, or atleast tell press people before hand so they don't ask specific questions. 

And then kicking her out of the tournament is just messed up.

She quit, no? 

Which is a real shame, because her record of 7 match wins in 5 tournaments at Roland Garros suggests that she was going to storm to victory... 

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

She quit, no? 

Which is a real shame, because her record of 7 match wins in 5 tournaments at Roland Garros suggests that she was going to storm to victory... 

Right, yeah, she withdrew, but it seems like she was effectively bullied out of the tournament.

30 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Curiously her mental health issues never arise during the hard court season. 

Strange that. 

So, you're saying that someone with mental health problems has good days and bad days?

Not a groundbreaking discovery, to be honest. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

https://www.skysports.com/share/12322394

According to this, Kvitova has had to withdraw due to an ankle injury sustained during press requirements. They will now be getting under even more scrutiny …

Setting a bad precedent, this. Any tennis player who doesn’t want to meet the press could feasibly just claim ankle injuries to avoid it.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Not utter bollocks at all. Every tennis player could feasibly use mental health issues to duck out of future interviews. Possibly same for other sports.

So other people with mental health problems could be treated decently? What a fucking nightmare that would be?

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So, you're saying that someone with mental health problems has good days and bad days?

Not a groundbreaking discovery, to be honest. 

Good days (happy to fulfil her contractual obligations) when she wins, bad days (can't be arsed fulfilling her contractual obligations) when she loses. All the while earning $40m+ per annum. 

It's a genuine tragedy.

hasn't she said that she has struggled since she won the US Open in 2018? I've seen nothing suggesting its something she can turn on and off depending on the surface she is playing on although someone with a fragile mind and confidence issues might well find it more difficult when she traditionally doesn't do well ...... 

• Upvote 1

Apparently money in and of itself is an evidence-based treatment for mental health ailments. The only reason that’s not more widely known is the elites want to suppress the fact to keep it all to themselves, not because it’s retrograde, small-minded claptrap of the type which routinely features in the columns below online tabloid articles.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Josef Svejk said:

Good days (happy to fulfil her contractual obligations) when she wins, bad days (can't be arsed fulfilling her contractual obligations) when she loses. All the while earning $40m+ per annum. 

It's a genuine tragedy.

Mental health problems being triggered by setbacks at work.  This really isn't hard to understand. 

You're taking the Homer stance here "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

hasn't she said that she has struggled since she won the US Open in 2018? I've seen nothing suggesting its something she can turn on and off depending on the surface she is playing on although someone with a fragile mind and confidence issues might well find it more difficult when she traditionally doesn't do well ...... 

Absolutely. 

I'm sure the overpriced watch manufacturers or whoever it is who pay to get their logos in shot will be just fine if they decide to cut players a little bit of slack.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Mental health problems being triggered by setbacks at work.  This really isn't hard to understand. 

You're taking the Homer stance here "Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."

Is there a way that her mental health problems can be diagnosed by an expert? Were they diagnosed by an expert and then rejected by the tournament as an excuse? Without it, we can go round in circles, people will either take for granted that self-diagnosed issues must exist because she says so or reject them out of hand, depending on where they normally stand on this.  

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Column in a national newspaper claiming - on the grounds of... something... presumably - that she's lying about her mental health problems. 

I mean, I read the article - if you can call it that - but to call it bullying is just a lie. I really don’t get this ‘widen the definition of terms so it means whatever you want’ approach so many take these days. 

12 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Absolutely. 

I'm sure the overpriced watch manufacturers or whoever it is who pay to get their logos in shot will be just fine if they decide to cut players a little bit of slack.

You think? I'm not sure you're in tune with the cutthroat world of advertising, they'll pay and do almost anything to get their products in shot, after all its pretty much their job.