You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think education around mental health has come a long enough way in the last 5 years to merit an "Ok lets hope the girl gets the right help" rather than the ancient "Oh bollocks you're just pulling that card because it doesn't suit you". 

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Imagine if it were possible for someone’s mental health and therefore what they feel capable of doing to fluctuate and not be the same one day/week/month as it was another.

I don't follow tennis any more and have never heard her speak before watching that video, I searched for it simply because the critical (of her) article in The Telegraph BBC News linked to mentioned she was doing fine at pressers in Melbourne and wanted to see if that was true.

It is certainly an interesting story, more so because it seems to be playing out in the open like some struggle over the shift in power balance, along the lines of the role of the media vs. player power, as mentioned in that Guardian column above.

Do you think she could have handled this differently, I don't know, seek help and than get in touch with the tournament with mental health expert recommendations she should not do media, rather than simply announcing, no media, sorry, mental health issues, end of discussion, as seems to be the case as presented in the media.

1 minute ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

I suffer with social anxiety as part of my now diagnosed aspergers or AS if we want to be PC.. I can go to work and cope but ask me to do a speech and I'll likely twat you as it gives me fear (to be fair I have done so before to a ex colleage)

I don't know this girl or follow Tennis but don't really see what the issue is if she doesn't want to go in front of the cameras.. (presume it's a money thing form tornament sponsors etc)

Yeah I think it's all to do with TV bollocks and sponsorship issues. They want their pound of flesh.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Still trying to think of other sporting events where an individual athletes press conference is mandatory.

You think Klopp talks to the media because he likes to? Have you ever seen a press junket with film stars? You are often contractually obliged to do media because media coverage translates into public attention which translates into money for the organizers and for you.

Just now, SasaS said:

You think Klopp talks to the media because he likes to? Have you ever seen a press junket with film stars? You are often contractually obliged to do media because media coverage translates into public attention which translates into money for the organizers and for you.

Just now, Gnasher said:

Wasn't Ferguson fined for not talking to the BBC?

Neither are athletes.

Neither are athletes.

Tour de France. You ride for five hours and last thing you want is go straight to talk to the media after finishing. But you have to. Because coverage is money.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Tour de France. You ride for five hours and last thing you want is go straight to talk to the media after finishing. But you have to. Because coverage is money.

Still not sure you are correct here.

Not every rider has to do one and I do not believe they are disqualified if they don't.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Still not sure you are correct here.

Not every rider has to do one and I do not believe they are disqualified if they don't.

You normally do see three on the podium being interviewed after the tour though, not sure if it's compulsory bit it seems that way otherwise they'd fuck off and inject lucozade.

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

You normally do see three on the podium being interviewed after the tour though, not sure if it's compulsory bit it seems that way otherwise they'd fuck off and inject lucozade.

Still talking about two different things here.

If you win at the Tour you have to show up in your gear for the ceremony.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure what that presser has to do with anything we are talking about. 

We are talking about sportstars taking part in interviews because they are obliged to do so, yes?

I dont think Farrell wanted to do that interview.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

We are talking about sportstars taking part in interviews because they are obliged to do so, yes?

No, we are talking about individuals being disqualified from participating before the event.

The Super Bowl has media obligations in the days before it and fellas have skipped that and been fined.

Just now, Istvan Kuntstain said:

Think the same applies in NBA as it's part of the contract, so they have to do Press Conferences or there's implications, Think the NFL is the same, remember a player at a press conference just stating over and over "i'm only here so I don't get fined" I think it was Lynch the Beast.. weather it was a press conference or just an interview I've no idea

NBA players have to be available for post game interviews.

Lynch is one who skipped media days leading up to the Super Bowl

No, we are talking about individuals being disqualified from participating before the event.

The Super Bowl has media obligations in the days before it and fellas have skipped that and been fined.

Are we talking about individuals being disqualified though? Or just a general discussion on athletes refusing to do interviews. She wasn't disqualified she withdrew.

I think this could set a precedent for sports starts pulling out of interviews in the future because I can't imagine many top level athletes wanting to face the press after a soul destroying defeat.

https://cwuobserver.com/12885/opinion/dealing-with-the-media-is-part-of-an-athletes-job/

I wonder what the viewing figures are for the press conferences v the game.  

im more likely to buy my Nike trainers after seeing an athlete win a match, rather than see an athlete struggling through a press conference and knowing Nike forced her to do it.  

I think you are right about precedent. My guess is there will be rule changes because of this.

She is off the back of the most successful season for a female athlete in history and one of the most recognizable faces in the sport - probably in the top for all sport.

She was going to be d'qed that day - the tour stated as much and the other majors have all said the same.

Keep in mind, she did let the tournament and the tour know all this before it started and did the post match interview the first day.