You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tennis

Remmie

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I wouldn't know, I am not a mental health expert.

I think education around mental health has come a long enough way in the last 5 years to merit an "Ok lets hope the girl gets the right help" rather than the ancient "Oh bollocks you're just pulling that card because it doesn't suit you". 

10 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I think that’s part of the education that needs to happen though, not just in Tennis but society as a whole.

The default position needs to be that we believe people who are struggling. Part of making that happen is to ensure others know the impact of playing the mental health card to obtain whatever, when they know it’s not real. Doing this stops people from believing the genuine cases. 

What about the disingenuous cases? Normally you could let them slide, not sure with this case tbh. I'm obviously not a mental health expert but from an amateur perspective her case seems a little frivolous.

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

She seems to be doing quite well here, you can say that this is probably not her favourite activity, may be slightly socially awkward, but she interacts well with the journalists, comes across as eloquent, intelligent and quite in control.

Imagine if it were possible for someone’s mental health and therefore what they feel capable of doing to fluctuate and not be the same one day/week/month as it was another.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Gnasher said:

If she tries that excuse at her next Atos health check she's going to find herself dinning down her local food bank.

Fair to say you haven’t been eating at the local foodbank, unless they provide free refills all day every day, you fucking sperm whale.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think if she doesn’t want to speak to the press she shouldn’t have to. Mental health or not. 

That's all well and good if she's prepared to forsake a large slice of her sponsorship money.

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think if she doesn’t want to speak to the press she shouldn’t have to. Mental health or not. 

Just now, Gnasher said:

That's all well and good if she's prepared to forsake a large slice of her sponsorship money.

Why do you think her sponsors would not support her?

Do they sponsor her press conferences or her tennis playing? If it’s both, and you know about the details of her sponsorship, what’s the relative split between the money she gets for each? 

Just now, Gnasher said:

I was thinking more of the tournament sponsors to be honest. Not sure if her own sponsors would welcome her press boycott though, do you?

The fact you are talking about it and the tournament and media are shaping up to be the assholes makes me think they don't mind.

She is one of the most recognizable faces in world tennis.

Ben bollock and his expensive education. Now fucking do one you cunt.

I went to one of the worst performing secondary schools in the country, Gnasher. I just know how to read and write you chip on the shoulder sack of phlegm.

• Upvote 1