You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's 19th and Utds 3rd??

ScouseJim

Would you swap places with Manchester United?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you swap places with Manchester United?

• Yeah, number 19 is priority for us!
    • No way! Number 6 is the best!

My dad just posed this question to me and we had differing answers. His question was:

“Would you swap our position for Man Utds?”

For us to be 5 points clear in league and in FA Cup final, but them in the European Cup final?

I was only 9 when we last won league and would so like us to be Champions again, so I said yes I would, and just hope Utd lose the final.

Dad said he’d never swap places, but then he remembers a lot more league wins than me.

What would you do?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Winning the Premier League is the better achievement than winning the CL, much as the CL is an incredible thing to do. In some ways the CL is better, and the glory is continent wide, but the week in week out consistency needed to win the Prem is the thing that sets the best team apart.

Hopefully we can do that next term.

As for swapping, no, never. We have what we have and we win what we win. We are Liverpool and don't need to be envious of anyone else.

Maybe because until the last few years you had to win one to be given a shot at the other.

and the European Cup has been going since 1955 and English teams were barred for some time as well.

Its a competition for all of Europe and more and were one of the 3 class teams who are steeped in the tradition of this great trophy

Winning the Champions League/European Cup is the pinnacle of achievement for any European side. It carries more prestige and is harder to win both in its old and current format than any domestic league. Ask yourself on the 23rd would you want to swap and I suspect there will be an even greater majority in favour of number six.

Man Utd. have won eight Premier Leagues and are on the verge of a ninth in the same time that it has taken them to win 1 European Cup. You have to beat the best Europe has to offer to sucseed in the Champions League. To win the Premiership, you have to prove to be adept at consistently beating Middlesbrough, Bolton, Wiagan etc. home and away over a season. I know which I think is harder to sucseed in.

Also, about the prestige point, the European Cup is the ultimate for fucks sake, ask any player from Italy, Spain, England, Germany etc. which they would prefer to win between their domestic league and Big Ears and I think the opinion would be unaminous in favour of European glory.

Man Utd. have won eight Premier Leagues and are on the verge of a ninth in the same time that it has taken them to win 1 European Cup.

Yeah, and we've won zero Premier Leagues in the time that we have won 1 European Cup and are on the verge of a second. Your point has no substance.

You have to beat the best Europe has to offer to sucseed in the Champions League. To win the Premiership, you have to prove to be adept at consistently beating Middlesbrough, Bolton, Wiagan etc. home and away over a season. I know which I think is harder to sucseed in.

Well, quite clearly it's been harder for us to succeed in the Premier League hasn't it? Since we haven't won the league since 1990.

No manager was ever sacked for fucking up in the European Cup. Managers are sacked every season for fucking up in the League. That ought to dispell any myths about which is more important.

Vincent Del Bosque at Real in 2003?? You also changed my point there, I said that winning the Champions League carries more prestige than claiming the Premiership. Come on, as Liverpool supporters, we have always placed more stock in the glory of Rome 77, Paris 81 etc. than say our first ever double in 86. We acknowledge ourselves as the most sucsessful team in Britain primarily because of our European sucsess. That wont change even if (God forbid) the unthinkable happens and "the others" reach 19 before us.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Yeah, and we've won zero Premier Leagues in the time that we have won 1 European Cup and are on the verge of a second. Your point has no substance.

Well, quite clearly it's been harder for us to succeed in the Premier League hasn't it? Since we haven't won the league since 1990.

No manager was ever sacked for fucking up in the European Cup. Managers are sacked every season for fucking up in the League. That ought to dispell any myths about which is more important.

S D mate, you make some valid points and you make them very well....but in fact the question posed for this thread wasnt 'Would Strontium Dog want us to swap places with Man United?' was it ?

So, as you right as you maybe, and as right as you think you are, in actual fact yours is just one subjective opinion amongst many.

In reality all of us ache for success, most times I would have voted to be in Uniteds place, 5 points clear and in the FA Cup final....its just I love that European Cup and would dearly love to win it again, so at this specific point in time, I wouldnt swap, 95 times out of 100 I would.....but, the point remains that the poll asks for peoples subjective and personal opinions which they are entitled to without incredulous hectoring from you.

S D mate, you make some valid points and you make them very well....but in fact the question posed for this thread wasnt 'Would Strontium Dog want us to swap places with Man United?' was it ?

For me it was.

So, as you right as you maybe, and as right as you think you are, in actual fact yours is just one subjective opinion amongst many.

Rafa would agree with me. The fact that this question can even be discussed is ludicrous. Rafa would pick the League every single time. Because he knows what is actually more important

In fact, it's even more ridiculous if you take the question literally; we're not talking about which is more important even, but whether you'd swap 5 points clear at the top of the league for a place in the Champions League final.

the point remains that the poll asks for peoples subjective and personal opinions which they are entitled to without incredulous hectoring from you.

"Incredulous hectoring"? Clearly you haven't grasped the point of a discussion forum. If I think people are talking shit, I'll tell them, and I would hope that in that 1 case in 100,000 when I talk shit, that people will tell me too.

Maybe because until the last few years you had to win one to be given a shot at the other.

Ah, that explains it then. And there was I thinking you had to get past several of the top teams in Europe to get your hands on Big Ears. It's a piece of piss this winning the biggest trophy in club football lark.

The delusions in this thread would be removed if the CL was for league winners only (as it arguably should be). But due to the change in format (which for tv audiences has been a huge improvement) it now means a club finishing 5th in the domestic league can be european champions.

Guest PaddyBerger15
For me it was.

Rafa would agree with me. The fact that this question can even be discussed is ludicrous. Rafa would pick the League every single time. Because he knows what is actually more important

In fact, it's even more ridiculous if you take the question literally; we're not talking about which is more important even, but whether you'd swap 5 points clear at the top of the league for a place in the Champions League final.

"Incredulous hectoring"? Clearly you haven't grasped the point of a discussion forum. If I think people are talking shit, I'll tell them, and I would hope that in that 1 case in 100,000 when I talk shit, that people will tell me too.

Alright then, its a discussion forum, and Ive obviously missed the point when someone puts up a poll and asks for a subjective vote....Ive now just grasped the point and will say this....I couldnt give a fuck what you think and Id rather win the European Cup again, and anybody who thinks otherwise is a cunt....there, discussion over...is that ok for ya ?!:lol: