You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Dirk

You can't beat running in the morning in spring. I've just been for a run down to the Mersey at Eastham Ferry and through Eastham Country Park and back home. It's fucking stunning outside. It's beautiful running along the Mersey when it's not too hot, as the sun shines and the birds are cheeping. Ace.

Running is awesome went for one today was great but my fitness is all shot at the moment. Running is great when the weather is like this but it pales in comparison to last year when I lived in Bournemouth... running along the beach then going for a swim is something that cannot be beat!

You can't beat running in the morning in spring.

I couldn't disagree more.

For example, take my morning today: I woke up, had bacon on toast, then had a shower and a wank. Then I went back to bed and had sex. With a woman.

I couldn't disagree more.

For example, take my morning today: I woke up, had bacon on toast, then had a shower and a wank. Then I went back to bed and had sex. With a woman.

Is the missus away then, Tom?

Guest shaunshanks
Running is shit. Tedious, knee-battering bollocks. Give me a ball to chase and I'll run all day but I can't bear jogging.

Give me a ball to chase? are you a labrador?

A wank and then sex?? You rule dude...

It's the only way he can last more than three seconds for Mrs Tom.*

*Yes - I do know my own tricks best.

the best runs Ive had are the after a few weeks where your lungs have adjusted to the run. Your mind settles down and relaxes into almost nothing.

When I lived in aus I'd either run down the beach bare foot or down the coastal road and finish with a dip in the crystal blue water beach. eaither first thing and later on after the heat had gone out of the day, heaven. healthiest id been for about 10 years. WTF I'm doing in the UK I dont know

Running is shit. Tedious, knee-battering bollocks. Give me a ball to chase and I'll run all day but I can't bear jogging.

That my friend is why I like it. It's the triumph over self and it's why it's not easy to keep it going. The furthest I've ever run is 16 miles. I ran from Bromborough to Connah's Quay. I went the long way, through the industrial estate and over the new bridge. I was in training for a half-marathon. I injured my achilles on the last training session five days before the race. That was three years ago. I was unable to run for a few months and I never managed to get motivated to start again. I put on two stone, a stone of which I've lost in the last six months.

Running is a solitary pursuit. For me, it's about conquering one's mind as much as it is a physical thing.

My missus lives there.

Fair enough. Interesting route though. Must have taken your life in your hands running along that Welsh Road through 2 Mills. No pavements - absolutely lethal. Did you know that little bungalow just before the Desside Ind Estate is a brothel - obvious once you know - big fence, space for hgvs to park up, bars on windows and cctv !! and right opposite where north wales police park their hidden speed camera van to clock all the english day trippers. fuckin heddlu bastards.

Anyway -running . . . . love the idea of it - hate the reality. More of a walker myself.

I'd been doing some jogging as part of my 'work out' in the Gym, I was reasonably fit stamina wise and can go on the rowers/bikes for an hour plus with no problem but my lung capacity was still pretty shit, however after about a month my knee started klicking and hasn't stopped, I'm 18 stone though and just not built for it, wish i was though.

Fair enough. Interesting route though. Must have taken your life in your hands running along that Welsh Road through 2 Mills. No pavements - absolutely lethal. Did you know that little bungalow just before the Desside Ind Estate is a brothel - obvious once you know - big fence, space for hgvs to park up, bars on windows and cctv !! and right opposite where north wales police park their hidden speed camera van to clock all the english day trippers. fuckin heddlu bastards.

Anyway -running . . . . love the idea of it - hate the reality. More of a walker myself.

It was a bit mad going along there on the road past Two Mills. I hit the metaphorical wall as I got onto the industrial estate. It took me as long to get from the industrial estate to Connah's Quay as it did to get from Bromborough to the industrial estate. I was doing a decent pace, got onto the industrial estate and suddenly I was turtle paced. Somebody mentioned that it was a brothel, sounds more like a park and ride.

I'd sooner swim a mile then run a mile- it just seems so futile. At least with swimming there are mini targets. I would love to get into it but I fear I never will. Running on a footie field however is a totally different ball game.

What interested me about the original post was the achilles injury- I've read articles where some people believe running can do as much harm as it does good. The wear and tear on your joints especially on hard surfaces can cause long term injuries.

I enjoy running but I have flat feet and have never bought any proper trainers to combat this. It gave me problems in my knees when I was younger but I'm still a fairly decent runner although I never do more than 2 or 3 miles now.

For me at least running is way over rated.

I take long walks with music from the mp3 player in my ears and a good book.

I get several weird looks and comments for reading and walking at the same time, but it's great:D The only problem is that I can't see/ hear anything that happens more than a couple of meters away.

In the summer I usually have a couple of beers and some food in a backpack and walk to remote freshwater lakes in the forest and spends the day there.