You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Have we signed Defoe?

drewy

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rafa will decide when he's on Holiday

The RVN thing may have thrown a spanner into his thought process

He may not sign him but a manager Like Rafa would certainly give the matter due consideration and obviously until two weeks ago RVN wasnt an option.

Anyway spare a thought for Monse and there romantic dinner chats, shall i buy a horse or a sniffer dog, to which she will probably reply whatever you like darling but dont forget the watch.

I just don't think Defoe is the right man - he's never really lived up to his potential as a goalscorer, so he's a bit of a "hope he makes the step up" kind of signing (if he is signing) as opposed to a proven performer.

I agree with what your sayin, but I do think he is a good player. I think he'd do well for us. I wouldn't be gutted if we signed him.

Guest tactics truck
Surely you're better than that? ;)

Well I will try to take on the clueless Cisse critics for

19 goals. I don't care whether he wanks himself silly for 45 minutes as long as he gets the job done. People are expecting some misty red eyed rosy memory invoked version og King Kenny who will take the ball and arc it into the net from a goal kick. Yes he has fits and starts (You notice it more because he is a striker but not when say Xabi or Riise go missing)and whinges (So does Henry, Hasselnbaink and many other strikers) but to say he is shite or Defoe is a step up is simply a case of 'grass is greener' argument as Defoe is nowhere near as established or as prolific. He won't even be going the world cup and Sven has picked two injured players and an untested kid ahead of him.

Aside from this is the Rafa doesn't think he can do it in his system argument but that isn't to say that he isn't a class player, just not what Rafa is after.

In short he doesn't deserve the criticism.

I agree with what your sayin, but I do think he is a good player. I think he'd do well for us. I wouldn't be gutted if we signed him.

If he signs, he will have my full support (like the rest of the players) - I just hope he is able to make the leap to becoming a top performer as he is not there and proven (yet....?)

I'm very much in the middle with regards to Cisse. He clearly has the ability, we've seen him do it 20 times a season with Auxerre. He's bagged 19 this season as well, despite coming a figure of derision. I'll never forget the Fulham game, which sparked our good run, when 40,000 people were laughing at him when he didn't jump for a header.

The promising start to the season in 2004, when he scored against Spurs and did that little trick in the corner against Man City, has vanished. The 19 goals don't kid me. I think his workrate is absolutely awful. The cup final was a good example. He was switched to the left and we were getting torn to bits. Riise wasn't having a good game as it was. He sure as hell wasn't getting any help from Djib.

I really, really want to like him. If he developed a first touch, a footballing brain and some composure, I really would like him, as he would be a pacy, direct goal machine.

Defoe:

I think he's a good goalscorer. He's a top finisher, and his biggest asset is his movement. He never stays still. For such a small guy, he's curiously good at holding the ball up.

As long as the price was right (£8-9 million at the very most) I would be supremely happy with the signing.

I'm taking this with a pinch of salt though. After all the mudslinging between Rafa and the Spuds in March I would be flabbergasted if they would be willing to do business with us.

There are more technically gifted players out there, but for raw finishing ability, Defoe is one of the leaders. In the Premiership at any rate.

Think it's hard to judge him on his time at Spurs alone. Like SWP I reckon he needs a move with the promise of regular football as he's stagnating.

Not sure about him but Spurs fans seem to view him in a similar way to Djibril. The odd good moment but out of the game for long periods.

Guest TK-421

Whenever I've seen him his work rate has put Djib to shame, he is always trying to win the ball back and defends well from the front, in that respect I think he's a better player. I would also say he's more of a natural in front of goal.

However I am being more swayed to the 'lets sign proven quality at whatever cost' Rashid school of thought and wouldn't put Defoe in the 'finished article' category.

Trust in Rashid.

Hope we do not sign him to be honest as I think we could do better. Just do not think that signing Spurs reserves will improve us much, so I am hoping that it is turns out to be false.

He is a good little player like but just not what I was hoping for. Mind you I think we all get a bit carried away with the fantasy football thing.

Hope we do not sign him to be honest as I think we could do better. Just do not think that signing Spurs reserves will improve us much, so I am hoping that it is turns out to be false.

He is a good little player like but just not what I was hoping for. Mind you I think we all get a bit carried away with the fantasy football thing.

It's too simplistic to label him a Spurs reserve. It's all about different teams playing different systems.

La la la. I'm not listening...

No one is asking you to, no one is saying its going to happen, I was just giving input on something from inside Melwood!

Personally: Defoe YES Torres NO CHANCE, but since its a Liverpool site just thought i would let you know incase it does happen and you can have heard it first

No one is asking you to, no one is saying its going to happen, I was just giving input on something from inside Melwood!

Personally: Defoe YES Torres NO CHANCE, but since its a Liverpool site just thought i would let you know incase it does happen and you can have heard it first

NO! Sorry, wasn't being arsey. I'm just trying to remain calm and zen-like this summer re. transfers, and that's pretty exciting.

Post away my good man, post away!

Apologies

Don't worry. Many insults being thrown around on here recently - t'was a natural assumption.

As you say, strong negotiations are just that, but it would depend whether Chelsea are interested. Shevchenko going there may be a blessing for us. Moro AND Luis in exchange?