You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

At first I thought you meant Fruit nearly had Marlo then, I was well confused.

Makes a lot more sense. I still think the Barksdale had more smarts then Marlo's crew though, they would have got him first.

I thought the same for a while. But as pointed out, Barksdale lost his best soldiers and was stuck to promoting cornerboys who wasn't ready or cut for being proper soldiers. I started to get the feeling that Marlon, due to his ruthlessness and soldiers (Kris and Felicia - the use of a nail gun was a master stroke in their line of business) would do Barksdale. Brother Mouzone or that reformed boxing trainer - forgot his name - would be their only potential saviours .

I tell you what's a mad one - that scene where thingio (mental block - murder squad Colonel who ends up Deputy Ops) is at the bar in the gay club in Season 3 and it's never been mentioned or even referred to since. It may or may not come back into the story in Season 5. I love shit like that in The Wire.

That is maybe the one 'clue' I've thought most about in The Wire. I think he will be exposed and forced out in season 5. Or it may not be. But what then? Is it to underline invulnerability or just to give us a glimpse of the 'real' Rawls as private person? Surely it's not because every american tv series need a few gay people in it. One open gay and one closet gay. The Wire is far too sophisticated for that.

No, but I would have if my brothers girlfriend hadn't come around yesterday. Grrrr. Don't you know that The Wire is more important then people!

I agree about how cold he is, I was about to say the same about Barksdale but then I remembered D.

What do you make of the new McNulty? It's made his character an irrelevance now and I'd have rather they killed him off or something then this new wuss version.

Not sure how I feel about all the politics, it's well done and interesting but takes up too much of the show in my view.

As soon as you've finished Season 4, watch the Season 5 trailer on YouTube re: McNulty.

In terms of the politics, it's always been an integral part of the show (Clay Davis is implicated in Avon's money laundering in Season 1). As far as the expanded Carcotti stuff goes, if you see the show's main star as Baltimore itself, then it makes perfect sense.

That is maybe the one 'clue' I've thought most about in The Wire. I think he will be exposed and forced out in season 5. Or it may not be. But what then? Is it to underline invulnerability or just to give us a glimpse of the 'real' Rawls as private person? Surely it's not because every american tv series need a few gay people in it. One open gay and one closet gay. The Wire is far too sophisticated for that.

My suspicion is that Rawls' sexuality could be part of the Season 5 media theme. Or even see him get ensnared with Omar in some way.

I think the Rawls issue compliments the realism of the show, not all secrets are openly exposed of peoples personal life (everyone has secrets) for that reason I would not be suprised if he was never outed.

It will be interesting to see what route Bubbles now follows, whether he will get himself clean and become a helper in the community (Much like Cutty) or get sucked back into drugs. He is such a great character where for entertainment purposes it would be better if he stayed on the street from the viewers perspective but morally everyone wants to see Bubbles on the straight and narrow.

As for Marlon I could maybe see Snoop and Chris turning on him, it would be unexpected but very possible, especially if Marlon gaining a bit of a GOD complex.

Can't wait for series 5 either way, immense show.

I'm planning on downloading all of the episodes and rewatching them. Just starting season 5 but I don't remember a lot of what's happened before.

Keep this thread spoiler free about 5 please, mate. There's a thread about 5 that's got some spoilers on it already for you download guys. I want to stay well clear until I've seen it on the box.

Bodie's death - how fucking sad?

Bodie was an ace character and became very likable after a while (In series 1 he was a cocky twat). For the whole Wallace thing though, he deserved it although it was for something he didn't do (He was just chatting to McNulty, noting more)

Bodie's death - how fucking sad?

Bodie was an ace character and became very likable after a while (In series 1 he was a cocky twat). For the whole Wallace thing though, he deserved it although it was for something he didn't do (He was just chatting to McNulty, noting more)

Twice I've seen him get capped now, he gets gunned down in 'Ghetto Gospel' too.

It's mad when you look at season one when they're all at the pit, and realise that virtually everyone is dead or in jail (except for Poot)

Stringer, Stinkum, D, Bodie, Wallace, with Wee Bey, Bird and Avon all in the can.

Wonder what the average lifespan of a pusher is over there? Early-mid twenties? I was watching the Shield last night and Garza - the head of the Biz Lats has got a gun pointed at him, and he says "Fuck it, pull the trigger, I lived five years longer than I ever thought I would (27) and all the people I came up with in the game are gone"

Twice I've seen him get capped now, he gets gunned down in 'Ghetto Gospel' too.

It's mad when you look at season one when they're all at the pit, and realise that virtually everyone is dead or in jail (except for Poot)

Stringer, Stinkum, D, Bodie, Wallace, with Wee Bey, Bird and Avon all in the can.

Wonder what the average lifespan of a pusher is over there? Early-mid twenties? I was watching the Shield last night and Garza - the head of the Biz Lats has got a gun pointed at him, and he says "Fuck it, pull the trigger, I lived five years longer than I ever thought I would (27) and all the people I came up with in the game are gone"

Good point that. I saw that on The Shield too. That is why the whole scene is so dangerous because they are not scared of dying and therefore don't give two fucks about anything or anyone.

Just got into the wire since FX started showing it from the start again. It's nearing the end of season 2 at the minute. Are FX gonna show season 3 before season 4? It's a fucking masterpiece of television.

They're showing all four seasons consecutively before, presumably, showing Season 5.

Both as good as each other IMO.

Nah it's better I reckon.

(1) Wire

(2) Shield

(3) Sopranos

The Sopranos took a massive nosedive in quality following its second season, and the fifth season in particular wasn't a patch on the first two seasons, it peaked again at the end but was not consistently great throughout its run as the above two have been.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...