You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

a question for those who know the squad

Bob

Have a hard time believing alot of the negative stuff I hear about Houllier.

You hear stories about what he was supposedly like and how not many people liked him and then from others you hear how much of a nice guy he is and how he gave up the medals he won at the club so the likes of Kirkland could have one.

Seems if you are fair on him he'll be fair back and if you're not watch out.

I worked in the local media for a bit and I can tell you that many of the guys there hated dealing with him because he tended to treat everybody but the National press like sh1t.

You hear stories about what he was supposedly like and how not many people liked him and then from others you hear how much of a nice guy he is and how he gave up the medals he won at the club so the likes of Kirkland could have one.

From what Robbie said though it seemed that he was a nice guy but was never wrong, so if you proved him wrong, or if you disagreed with him , that was that.

I thought it was amazing that Robbie said that the beginning of it came from Houllier being mocked for his eating the grass excuse when Robbie snorted the line against everton. He seems to think that Houllier blamed Robbie for the press ridiculing him and it was all down hill after that.

Robbie's explanation of the Thommo bust up was a real eye opener. The bit about the 'public apology' and the cameraman behind the fence shocked me. That was a fucking disgrace, and if I'd know about all of that stuff at the time I'd have had a different view on things.

How was that bust-up explained to you at the time Dave? Thommo denied it was a sting in his book but then he would wouldn't he - His explanations a lot less detailed than Robbie's and he makes no mention him telling him he'd been at the club too long.

From what Robbie said though it seemed that he was a nice guy but was never wrong, so if you proved him wrong, or if you disagreed with him , that was that.

I thought it was amazing that Robbie said that the beginning of it came from Houllier being mocked for his eating the grass excuse when Robbie snorted the line against everton. He seems to think that Houllier blamed Robbie for the press ridiculing him and it was all down hill after that.

Robbie claimed in the book that Houllier told a friend of his that he was finished at the club from that moment. It wasn't just a gut feeling or whatever, he claimed Houllier actually admitted it.

I have to say that as far fetched as that sounds, from everything I've heard from people who knew Houllier, it fits in with his character perfectly.

How was that bust-up explained to you at the time? Thommo denied it was a sting in his book but then he would wouldn't he - His explanations a lot less detailed than Robbie's and he makes no mention him telling him he'd been at the club too long.

At the I just heard that they'd had a falling out on the training ground, Thommo had apologised but Robbie wouldn't. It was how the press reported it too, as that was the line that GH and Thommo were putting out.

My thoughts at the time were that even though the incident was very petty, and Robbie probably had nothing to apologise for, I felt he should have just said sorry anyway and that he was being stubborn. I thought he wasn't helping himself, and I remember being well pissed off that his name was chanted against West Ham (when he was in the Main Stand) when Owen was on the pitch doing the business. If I knew then what I know now I'd have been chanting his name too.

I didn't realise the extent of what he'd had to put up with there, in terms of the 'sting'. I don't think there's any doubt about it now, it was a set up job and it worked a treat from GH and Thommo's point of view.

It makes me feel very uneasy that kind of thing was going on, and I just wish I knew at the time what had happened. It was a shitty thing to do, and they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

It makes me feel very uneasy that kind of thing was going on, and I just wish I knew at the time what had happened. It was a shitty thing to do, and they should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

If they wanted rid of him then fair enough, that's their prerogative, but the snidey, underhand way they went about it was disgraceful & completely unnecessary. It says a lot about their characters, Houllier mainly as Thommo was clearly just his yes man.

I'm amazed Robbie put up with it for so long, just shows how much he loved the place.

Hitler was very nice to his mum

i read that book, on the journey to my first away game ever(Rela Betis, Seville)

i couldnt help but wish we had kept Robbie, but in high and sight, its 1 thing ill give credit to houllier for, its getting rid of a striker that had seen his best days pass him by, its hard to admit, but a great bit of business by houllier,

although, fowler has been riddled with injury for years now, i often wonder if bringing players in that young wrecks them before their time, look at Owen, doesnt seem as potent as he used to be O_o

Writing in his book, Fowler said: "Nicolas Anelka had done something to piss him (Houllier) off and he wasn't signed on a permanent basis and neither Diouf or Baros had scored any goals. It looked as if the problem was really going to cost him, and Houllier was looking for a solution, any solution, even me.

"It seems mad now but the same friend who had spoken to Leeds for me went to see Houllier at the team hotel before they played in the first leg of their Worthington Cup semi-final at Sheffield United. They spoke about me coming back and Houllier was interested. The fee would be as low as £5million and I was prepared to take a pay cut."

The phone call with the news Fowler craved for never came.

"When Ridsdale (then Leeds Utd chairman) found out about the interest from Liverpool, he got straight onto the phone to Parry himself and tried to sort out a move," said Fowler. "He said that Parry had said the board wouldn't sanction it, even though the manager (Houllier) wanted it."

I rest my case about how the club is run under Parry.

we might not like it but the board should respect the manager's wishes

Not true. What really happened was a deal was cut, but it was nigh on the office closing. Parry had a childrens party to do, and time was of the utmost essence. Risdale faxed through the papers to sign, Parry's secretary got them off the fax machine. As she entered Rick's office, he jumped from behind his desk at let the squirty flower rip. The secretary, in a reflex move, held up the papers and they were ruined in a barrage of squirty-flower water. Before Risdale could fax them again, there was puffs of smoke from the Krustymobile and Robbie would never wear Red again.

Not true. What really happened was a deal was cut, but it was nigh on the office closing. Parry had a childrens party to do, and time was of the utmost essence. Risdale faxed through the papers to sign, Parry's secretary got them off the fax machine. As she entered Rick's office, he jumped from behind his desk at let the squirty flower rip. The secretary, in a reflex move, held up the papers and they were ruined in a barrage of squirty-flower water. Before Risdale could fax them again, there was puffs of smoke from the Krustymobile and Robbie would never wear Red again.

although that is a lovely picture, and a scenario that will have undoubtedly happened on many occassions, to answer RedNick about the club being run under Parry, it was merely Parry who spoke to Risdale, not Parry's decision, he was passing on the decision of te board, who as it comes over in the book were fed up with Houllier wasting moneyby then and it was in the january of his final season.