You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Edwards Return Confirmed

7 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Sounded at the time that Rodgers was the one demanding Benteke

7 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

Wasn't the signing of Benteke mainly because Rodgers pushed for him? 

I thought so too, but if I'm looking back at that time, got to take it as a whole.

57 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Signed Gomez, Milner and Bobby in the last pre-klopp summer. Ings and Clyne too who were both solid squad additions for little outlay.

Less said of Benteke the better, but that's more of a mentality thing on him than anything, plus Klopp wanted Bobby as his sole striker so a bad start became terminal.

He was also involved in ballotelli, Lambert, markovic, Moreno and others. He was definitely hit and miss before klopp's arrival. 

Edit... Not that it matters, as he won't be doing that job anymore. That'll be Richard Hughes. 

11 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

My tattoo artist says he’s too busy to squeeze me in.

You going glasses or no glasses?

Full portrait on the neck, I assume? Goes without saying really.

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He was also involved in ballotelli, Lambert, markovic, Moreno and others. He was definitely hit and miss before klopp's arrival. 

Yeah, but still not sure they're all ridiculous mistakes. Moreno much like Clyne, probably showed up some flaws with the data-first approach though as pace doesn't make up for all issues... Markovic probably did the same, eye test was that he was an exciting prospect, loads of pace. Along with Div, seems like that was a focus that summer.

Lallana and Can were both good signings at that point. Balotelli would have always come with huge caveats, but the data will always have shown him to be a potentially world class player on his day, because he was.

Measured gambles seeking to maximise resources, but without the oversight of a quality football mind on the management side of things. Turned out in failure, but also learned some lessons and clearly got better.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Edit... Not that it matters, as he won't be doing that job anymore. That'll be Richard Hughes. 

Richard Hughes used to be our piggy bank, he's the man that bought Jordan Ibe, Smith and Solanke. That Smith signing must be one the worst in PL history. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

Richard Hughes used to be our piggy bank, he's the man that bought Jordan Ibe, Smith and Solanke. That Smith signing must be one the worst in PL history. 

He helped to build Edwards rep bigly there and by doing so insured he got the gig here.

4d chess.

7 minutes ago, No2 said:

Not sure if he was quite holding the keys by then, had only retired a year before. Solanke was a great signing for them.

We are going down tbe multi club route

I hate it. I understand it as you can't get left behind but from a 'good of football' view I think it's a disgraceful system

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Welsh said:

Him coming in makes me think the next manager will be that Sporting guy moreso than Xabi. I don't think Edwards will want a strong figure like Klopp who can overrule his decisions (Obviously I could be wrong)

What makes Alonso (who works under a similar sporting director model) any more or less a strong figure than Amorim (who works under a similar sporting director model)?

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

What makes Alonso (who works under a similar sporting director model) any more or less a strong figure than Amorim (who works under a similar sporting director model)?

Backing of the fans. Alonso is idolised here so would have more sway due to the potential backlash from us if something goes against him.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

You going glasses or no glasses?

Full portrait on the neck, I assume? Goes without saying really.

Full portrait on the face is the only way to go. Supply your own glasses.

Nothing wrong with the principal of multi club ownership it just depends on the structure and how it's applied.

If you're investing in a beleaguered club in another league and running it like a proper club that buys and sell's it's own players but can also make use of it's parent clubs resources then fine, the aim then is to see a natural growth within that club and if we get first refusal (at market price) of any top tier talent all the better.

The alternative is having a raft of clubs used solely to circumnavigate various financial and ownership rules where one club buys a talented player but never get's to use that player because he's loaned endlessly to other clubs in that group before he's deemed good enough to sell for a profit on City's accounts or to play for City.