You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sparta Prague (A) - EL R16, 1st leg - Thu 7th Mar 2024 (5:45pm)

I wonder if we will hold Salah back as Egypt have pretty much said if he plays anytime for us he's fit enough to play. And tbet are big enough pricks to go to FIFA if Mo pulls out

Koumas and McConnell both played the first 45 minutes in the U21s 2-0 defeat against Villa today.

Nyoni played the full 90, as did Kaide Gordon.

Certainly would not be surprised if McConnell gets a start in Prague, with Koumas on the bench.

As things stand, I think I'd go with the following, with a couple of arranged subs at halftime, all things being equal.

Kelleher; Gomez, Quansah, Virg, Tsimikas; Endo, McConnell, Clark; Gakpo, Danns, Elliott.

I'd have Konate and Bradley on for Virg and Gomez at the break. Dom and Mo on for Endo and Harvey around 60 minutes, if Mo is deemed fit enough.

• Upvote 2

Shirley, it’s only going to be a minimum amount of players here who start both in Prague and on Sunday?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Adrian started.

I wouldn’t like to choose over who starts at right back between Gomez & Bradley, I wouldn’t be against them both doing 45 mins each. Like Southampton, I assume  VVD & Konate both to do 45 mins each again. I’d assume Quansah & Tsmiskas are certain to.

I think Szoboszlai should get some minutes for some sharpness. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Clark and McConnell along side him. 

Similar up front, Nunez to get some minutes (likely on the left), Gakpo and Danns alongside. 

If Mo and Trent are available, have them there for cameos & minutes. 

Realise I’ve named like 4 subs there! It’s a very difficult balancing act ahead of Sunday.

No matter the outcome, I’d hope that if we have to turn round a deficit, we’ll have enough at Anfield to be able to do so. 

On 04/03/2024 at 14:07, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Adrian cannot play. The end. It probably would be.

I know there's a lot of 'he's great around the place', but it does make you wonder what the point of the exercise is when all of us are really concerned when we see his name is on the team sheet.

Would be interesting to see what wage he is on, if it's relatively (for professional football) miniscule that would make sense in the context of supporting additional spending elsewhere in the squad and probably something that would be more acceptable.

1 hour ago, Moctezuma said:

I know there's a lot of 'he's great around the place', but it does make you wonder what the point of the exercise is when all of us are really concerned when we see his name is on the team sheet.

Would be interesting to see what wage he is on, if it's relatively (for professional football) miniscule that would make sense in the context of supporting additional spending elsewhere in the squad and probably something that would be more acceptable.

Probably a decent wage for a Morale Officer. We lost Firmino, Milner and Henderson so maybe w needed some ‘characters’ to help the dressing room. 

On 03/03/2024 at 22:36, Allan said:

Koumas and McConnell both played the first 45 minutes in the U21s 2-0 defeat against Villa today.

Nyoni played the full 90, as did Kaide Gordon.

Certainly would not be surprised if McConnell gets a start in Prague, with Koumas on the bench.

As things stand, I think I'd go with the following, with a couple of arranged subs at halftime, all things being equal.

Kelleher; Gomez, Quansah, Virg, Tsimikas; Endo, McConnell, Clark; Gakpo, Danns, Elliott.

I'd have Konate and Bradley on for Virg and Gomez at the break. Dom and Mo on for Endo and Harvey around 60 minutes, if Mo is deemed fit enough.

Kinell, if our kids can win the League Cup how good must Villa's be?

Kelleher, Gomez, Quansah, Van Dijk, Tsimikas, Endo, Szoboszlai, Clark, Danns, Gakpo, Nunez

Run the bench in the second half.

The above lineup keeps Bradley, Konate, Robertson, Mac Allister, Diaz and Salah fresh for Sunday.

But surely Salah needs to play some part tomorrow.