You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sparta Prague (A) - EL R16, 1st leg - Thu 7th Mar 2024 (5:45pm)

Work-rate. Incisiveness. Nous.

I don't ask for much.

This is how it's gonna be. Build from the ground up.

Back on the Europa League grind. Finishing top of our group meant that we had a bye from the Round of 32, which saw the Europa League group runners-up face the teams that had finished 3rd in the Champions League groups. One of those was not Sevilla thankfully. They are the only team in Europe that actively wants to finish 3rd in their Champions League group and drop down. They have an extraordinary record in this competition, which qualifies them for the elite competition each time, only for them to do very little in it. Anyway, I digress.

We've only faced Sparta Prague once before, and that was in the Round of 32 stage of this competition in 2010/11. We had new owners in the boardroom and Kenny was now in charge, and we'd recently sold Torres and signed Suarez (who was cup-tied) and Carroll (who was injured). Ngog was playing up front as he'd been a regular starter in Europe that season, and we had the likes of Cole, Jovanovic and Coady on the bench. Kenny's record in Europe wasn't great as a manager. He never got the opportunity in his first spell with us, the entirety of which coincided with our European ban. Blackburn's first foray in Europe in 1994 resulted in a tame early exit from the UEFA Cup (he wasn't their manager when they played in the Champions League, and Le Saux and Batty got into a scrap). With Newcastle, the highlight was a home win over Barcelona in 1997 which featured a hat-trick from Asprilla. They finished 3rd in their Champions League group, ahead of Van Gaal's Barcelona. With the way our season had been going, it was no surprise that the game against Sparta was a drab goalless draw. Sparta had former West Ham defender Tomas Repka back in the side as captain. There is nothing noteworthy about the game other than this gif/meme, and even he had to come off after little over half an hour thanks to yet another injury:

what-is-this-shit-fabio-aurelio.gif

Incidentally, the final in 2010/11 would also take place at the Aviva in Dublin, which is where we hope to be come May. Note the kick-off time for this match. Like all our European travels this season, it's an early kick-off. I know nothing about the current Sparta Prague team other than they finished behind Rangers in the group stage, and beat Galatasaray in the Round of 32.

For us, it will again be a needs-must situation. Earlier in the season, the fringe players and youngsters were given a run out with the big names making sporadic appearances, usually from the bench. Jurgen has had to turn to the youngsters in recent weeks, and also the likes of Danns and Koumas due to the catalogue of injuries, so we have a lot of players approaching the 'red line' the sports science guys are so fond of mentioning. This is one of those games where you still look to apply yourselves and try to get the result but without needing to get out of second or third gear, and also hope not to pick up injuries. I think he will want the likes of Darwin, Dom and Mo on the bench and will look to give them a run-out ahead of the league game against the oil cheats at the weekend. The balance has been a problem on our European travels this season. Whatever the line-up, I expect maximum motivation, concentration, attitude and application from first minute to last. We have an opportunity to bring home a significant advantage ahead of the second leg next week, so let's take it. Get it done!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 10

Sparta have a tough game themselves today, Prague Derby between 1st and 2nd place, so 1 fewer days rest. 

They also play 3rd place between the games against us. 

Might make a difference and even things out again, considering our tough game against the blue mancs next weekend. 

Maybe Salah we could just introduce him against City but Szobo and Darwin need minutes here, no doubt about it. They need to be as sharp as possible for the weekend.

Otherwise, we have a 2nd leg to save something if need be, so the result, as long as it's not a multi goal defeat, is whatever.

There's no way I'm going as weak a team as sone on here. All well and good being all in for the City game but throwing all our eggs in one basket is stupid. We could easily go half strength for this lose by a couple,not beat City and go out. Rest who we can but not so much its a weak side full of kids

• Upvote 2

I’m going to go against the grain here. Hope we start with the strongest line-up available and run the bench if we can. We’ll probably rest Konate and Robertson but most others should play. 

It’s second only to the league in terms of importance and the only trophy left for Jurgen to win with us.

We can’t afford to get caught on the hop. Anyway, we’re a team that seems to thrive on momentum, we always look disjointed after rest periods or fielding teams of complete reserves.

Hopefully Mo has twenty minutes or half an hour in him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Weird fixture, this.  Even if we lose 1-0, I'd be confident of finishing the job at Anfield. Obviously, a win in Prague would be preferable.  At least as significant as the result is the need to manage the fitness of our most important players, so we can smash the cheats at the weekend.

Just get these beat, Reds.

• Upvote 1

If away goals were still a thing I could see us going full strength for this, as it is I’d defo be going with some more minutes for the young lads. Gomez and Bradley 45 minutes each at right back, probably need 90 from Bobby Clark, definitely need 90 from Quansah, McConnell and Danns should get some time too.

2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

If away goals were still a thing I could see us going full strength for this, as it is I’d defo be going with some more minutes for the young lads. Gomez and Bradley 45 minutes each at right back, probably need 90 from Bobby Clark, definitely need 90 from Quansah, McConnell and Danns should get some time too.

Szoboszlai could probably do with some minutes to get up to speed.

46 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Weird fixture, this.  Even if we lose 1-0, I'd be confident of finishing the job at Anfield. Obviously, a win in Prague would be preferable.  At least as significant as the result is the need to manage the fitness of our most important players, so we can smash the cheats at the weekend.

Just get these beat, Reds.

1-0 loss should be fine but anymore could be a disaster. If they won 2-0 is a everyman in a low block, late tackles and time wasting from minute 1. And any freak set piece, counter goal could see us out. That's why I'd be going fairly strong especially at the back. 45 mi s each Konate and Virg, Gomez RB,Tsimikas LB. I'd start Endo with Clark and Szoboszlai amd change him later. Hopefully get a couple of goals and make subs from 60/70 mins

Kelleher

Bradley Quansah VVD Tsimikas

Elliott Endo Szoboszlai 

Gakpo Nunez Diaz

Subs: Adrian Gomez (for Bradley) Konate (for VVD) Robertson Macca (for Endo) McConnell (for Szoboszlai) Clark Salah (for Nunez) Danns

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Kelleher

Elliott Endo Szoboszlai 

Gakpo Nunez Diaz

Subs: Adrian Gomez (for Bradley) Konate (for VVD) Robertson Macca (for Endo) McConnell (for Szoboszlai) Clark Salah (for Nunez) Danns

Something like that I reckon. I’d give Bradley a break for Sunday though, so start with Joe Gomez. Agree that Mac Allister needs a bit of a break. 

You’d imagine Salah would need to get some bit of a run-out ahead of the City game too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razoray said:

Kelleher

Elliott Endo Szoboszlai 

Gakpo Nunez Diaz

Yeah I'd go similar except I'd change Elliot for Clark. Elliot has been out of his feet for a bit and must be running on fumes