You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Sunderland keeper viewed as Kelleher replacement if he departs in summer

TLW

image.jpeg

Anthony Patterson is reportedly on Liverpool’s radar if Caoimhin Kelleher decides to leave Liverpool to become a first choice keeper elsewhere.

The Sunderland goalkeeper has kept eight clean sheets in 27 appearances this season with the Black Cats currently on the fringes of the playoff positions in seventh.

The future of Kelleher has been a source for discussion for a couple of seasons.

The Irishman is highly unlikely to unseat Allison as Liverpool’s number one with the Brazilian currently regarded as the best goalkeeper in the world

That said, Kelleher is arguably the best reserve goalkeeper around at this point of time, a title that Jurgen Klopp bestowed on him two years ago.

The 25 year-old who is contracted until the end of the 2025/6 season has already set a personal record in terms of appearances for the club this season already having made 11 in all competitions, the first time he has reached double figures in his senior Liverpool career.

image.jpeg

While the Europa League does not hold the status of the Champions League, it presents itself as a great opportunity for fringe and emerging players to get experience on the European stage and certainly has aided Kelleher who has made five appearances in the competition so far.

The Mirror reports that Celtic are certainly looking closely with Kelleher and he has been previously linked with a move to Brentford as a replacement for David Raya.

When it comes to Patterson, the Sunderland academy graduate has been previously linked to moves to Wolves and Leicester.

The 23 year-old who is also under contract until 2026 spoke at the start of this season that his main goal is to achieve success with his boyhood team.

image.jpeg

“This is my team, I have grown up supporting Sunderland. I'm happy here, content and looking forward to many more games. It's that extra bit special being able to play in front of the Sunderland fans and being able to be on the pitch rather than as a fan really."

In a perfect world it’s clear that Liverpool would not want to lose Kelleher as they realise what a talent he is, but there may come a time when eventually he wants to become a number one in his own right especially with Alisson still in the prime of his career.

And if the time does arise that Liverpool are on the lookout for a backup you sense they will look for a prospect in the mould of Patterson rather than a seasoned veteran with not too many miles left on the clock.

View full article

And if the time does arise that Liverpool are on the lookout for a backup you sense they will look for a prospect in the mould of Patterson rather than a seasoned veteran with not too many miles left on the clock.

Why? They aren't going to play. 

39 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I'm not sure why Patterson would come here to be a backup player?

I do think Kelleher needs to move on for the sake of his own career. 

You'd have to assume we know Ali is ready to move on at some point and he can come in and have a year or two before replacing Ali. 

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

You'd have to assume we know Ali is ready to move on at some point and he can come in and have a year or two before replacing Ali. 

If our plan on replacing Alisson is signing a 23 year old Championship keeper, and then playing him in a handful of league cup games over the next two or three years to ensure he doesn't actually develop at all, then everyone at the club should be thrown in the sea.

9 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

If our plan on replacing Alisson is signing a 23 year old Championship keeper, and then playing him in a handful of league cup games over the next two or three years to ensure he doesn't actually develop at all, then everyone at the club should be thrown in the sea.

it might just be 12 months. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

it might just be 12 months. 

I don't know if that's better or worse, to honest. 

You can't fuck around with goalkeepers, we as a club should know that better than most having pissed away seasons with the likes of Mignolet and Karius, and the various turds pre Reina.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't know if that's better or worse, to honest. 

You can't fuck around with goalkeepers, we as a club should know that better than most having pissed away seasons with the likes of Mignolet and Karius, and the various turds pre Reina.

Ali spent 12 months on the bench at Roma playing just 4 Italian cup games before spending 12 months showing us he was the world's best keeper. He'll have been about the same age at the time. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Ali spent 12 months on the bench at Roma playing just 4 Italian cup games before spending 12 months showing us he was the world's best keeper. He'll have been about the same age at the time. 

He was first choice for one of the best teams in Italy and cost about 65m six years ago, I'm not sure that's particularly comparable to someone who plays for the 7th best team in our second division.

4 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

If it was 12 months to two years, we could send Kelleher on loan next season. Unless we've decided we don't think he's capable of being the number one here. 

i don't think Kelleher will ever be our number one. i would be selling him as soon as there's a decent offer. 

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

He was first choice for one of the best teams in Italy and cost about 65m six years ago, I'm not sure that's particularly comparable to someone who plays for the 7th best team in our second division.

he was first choice for one season only. He was there for 2 and spent his 1st year on the bench playing 4 cup games. why would it not be a fair comparison, it's exactly what I am saying could be a possibility for this lad - but we effectively cut roma or whoever out as the middle man. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

he was first choice for one season only. He was there for 2 and spent his 1st year on the bench playing 4 cup games. why would it not be a fair comparison, it's exactly what I am saying could be a possibility for this lad - but we effectively cut roma or whoever out as the middle man. 

Ok, but in your example we are Roma.

It is an enormous gamble and one I hope we don't take.

You have to treat your second choice keeper as a commodity more than any other player and expect, if you have a good one, that they are going to be sold on and replaced on a semi-regular basis because of the nature of the position.

If you sign the keeper from Sunderland then you're developing him hoping he becomes a viable No.1 for you but knowing that in reality he's just a player you're going to put in the shop window in cup games and hope that you can sell on for a profit in the future.

Same goes for all the young keepers we have on the books.

16 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Ok, but in your example we are Roma.

It is an enormous gamble and one I hope we don't take.

Sure it's a gamble. But you're not paying big money to sit a lad on the bench forever are you? If he doesn't look good, you still go to market and buy Ali's replacement and you'll move on an English keeper. No matter what we do, when it comes to replacing Ali, it's going to be fucking hard and a gamble of some form. And whoever replaces him will be worse. 

There's probably stats somewhere but I imagine the number of second choice keepers (especially those who sit behind an established No.1 for more than a season or two) who go on to become first choice at the same club is tiny.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I assume the whole point of buying a million 16 year old keepers in the last few years was to try to always have a homegrown backup, like Kelleher, behind Alisson. Why we buying some guy from Sunderland?

There was the idea of a goalkeeping school https://archive.ph/qNSjA but that's not something that will yield immediate results and with Pitaluga/Jaros/Barnes(?) the most 'ready' we're probably a while off from it being in full effect.

Imagine we need to bridge the gap between 1st and 3rd choice from outside this summer if Kelleher goes.

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I assume the whole point of buying a million 16 year old keepers in the last few years was to try to always have a homegrown backup, like Kelleher, behind Alisson. Why we buying some guy from Sunderland?

Well if the link is legit, you would assume it's because the lad has something special about him.