You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

I remember somebody with Bristol City fans as mates (Col?) going on about Alex Scott and how Liverpool should be all over it.

Don't know what happened there, but it's good to see that the shouts are proving to be correct.

Good luck to him, and also to Bournemouth who obviously took a bit of a financial risk to get him in.

30 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Seeing talk that Arsenal supporters want Ivan Toney in January to spear head their attack.

Have I missed the memo here that Toney is some world class striker?

He decent but there are much better out there. I’m not sure how much better he is than Nketiah. If they are going to be feeding him as many scraps as they would have done the last few games, I suspect he’ll be equally ineffective. 

9 months out, about to turn 28 in March, never played in Europe, 1 England cap…. He has a flop of Benteke proportions written all over him. 

Nah...Toney is a very good player.

He'd suit us down to the ground too IMO.

He links play really well, he is clever and has good awareness and finishes well too.

I'd love us to sign him. I honestly believe he'd do really well for us.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Nah...Toney is a very good player.

He'd suit us down to the ground too IMO.

He links play really well, he is clever and has good awareness and finishes well too.

I'd love us to sign him. I honestly believe he'd do really well for us.

If a big club pays any transfer fee for Toney, they've lost it. 

It's basically impossible to forecast whether he could translate his game to a bigger club, never mind if he can play at a high level after his ban. Brentford played a style with him that no one else does.

His pass completion percentage is absolutely appalling because in the buildup, Brentford launched it to him nonstop and then he played like a big #10, trying high risk passes and through balls. No big club will play like that, you can't have a player be that loose with the ball. He doesn't create shot opportunities well for himself either. 

The idea if he hadn't been banned would be he's a danger in the final third because he does have technique and size and he knows where the goal is if he gets service, but the ban and what Brentford would demand, and how he would actually fit a big club as anything other than a plan B, makes it a humongous risk.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's basically impossible to forecast whether he could translate his game to a bigger club, never mind if he can play at a high level after his ban. Brentford played a style with him that no one else does.

His pass completion percentage is absolutely appalling because in the buildup, Brentford launched it to him nonstop and then he played like a big #10, trying high risk passes and through balls. No big club will play like that. He doesn't create shot opportunities well for himself either. 

The idea if he hadn't been banned would be he's a danger in the final third because he does have technique and size and he knows where the goal is if he gets service, but the ban and what Brentford would demand, and how he would actually fit a big club as anything other than a plan B, makes it a humongous risk.

Far too much is made of the ban IMO - players miss as much and more football with injuries -  in 2023 he'll have played a lot more football in the calendar year than Thiago for example...

He'll have been keeping fit, yeah of course it will take a bit of time to get sharpness back etc but it isn't as if he is recovering from something - he's fit and strong and will be ready to go - first couple of months would make sense for him to come off bench (good option to have)....I remember Cantona after his 8 month ban he came back in October and started to fire again around Christmas....

As for whether he'd be any good - i stand by my original comments, he is a smart footballer, links play really well, has good awareness and is an accomplished finisher - for my money he'd do well.

Yeah the step up is always an unknown/concern but one for me too much is made of.

It is a moot point anyway, as I don't think we'll go for him - i do though think Arsenal will, blud!...

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

His pass completion percentage is absolutely appalling because in the buildup, Brentford launched it to him nonstop and then he played like a big #10, trying high risk passes and through balls. No big club will play like that. He doesn't create shot opportunities well for himself either. 

While all that is true pretty much every large PL club that buys anyone from another PL club does so with a huge amount of risk. Take ourselves and Fulham as an example, if we wanted Palhina or Robinson they are costing ballpark club record fees. Same with Bowen, Olise, Mitoma or anyone else that doesn't have a buyout or contract situation. 

Toney comes with huge risks as you say but anyone that doesn't is costing £100m.

5 minutes ago, No2 said:

While all that is true pretty much every large PL club that buys anyone from another PL club does so with a huge amount of risk. Take ourselves and Fulham as an example, if we wanted Palhina or Robinson they are costing ballpark club record fees. Same with Bowen, Olise, Mitoma or anyone else that doesn't have a buyout or contract situation. 

Toney comes with huge risks as you say but anyone that doesn't is costing £100m.

Good few 100m or not far off players been bought recently that seem pretty risky too!

15 minutes ago, No2 said:

The specific risk here is the adaptation to the style of play and whether the time off affects his level.

The Premier League premium fee is the cherry on the risky sundae, if you will.

16 minutes ago, an tha said:

Far too much is made of the ban IMO - players miss as much and more football with injuries -  in 2023 he'll have played a lot more football in the calendar year than Thiago for example...

He'll have been keeping fit, yeah of course it will take a bit of time to get sharpness back etc but it isn't as if he is recovering from something - he's fit and strong and will be ready to go - first couple of months would make sense for him to come off bench (good option to have)....I remember Cantona after his 8 month ban he came back in October and started to fire again around Christmas....

As for whether he'd be any good - i stand by my original comments, he is a smart footballer, links play really well, has good awareness and is an accomplished finisher - for my money he'd do well.

Yeah the step up is always an unknown/concern but one for me too much is made of.

It is a moot point anyway, as I don't think we'll go for him - i do though think Arsenal will, blud!...

I think he's a pretty unique player and there are some attributes there, but to actually invest significantly in him, is another thing.

Toney isn't worth £80m or anywhere near that.  It would be a desperate buy as he won't be fully up to full speed/fitness till Feb

18 months ago Union Berlin bought Victor Boniface for €6m from Bodo Glimt. He's now tearing it up at Xabi's Leverkusen.  He is arguably just as good and younger than Toney.  Not saying he should be bought but it shows there's options & talent out there with good scouting.

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think he's a pretty unique player and there are some attributes there, but to actually invest significantly in him, is another thing.

He reminds me of Harry Kane - he is clearly not as good, but he genuinely reminds me of Kane in his attributes. I think I have heard players make this comparison too.

I very much doubt we'll buy him anyway.

4 minutes ago, an tha said:

He reminds me of Harry Kane - he is clearly not as good, but he genuinely reminds me of Kane in his attributes. I think I have heard players make this comparison too.

I very much doubt we'll buy him anyway.

Kane has years and years of playing in a team that plays attacking football on the floor, that used him as a pivot, as an outlet deeper, as a creator and finisher. 

You can't compare that with Toney. As I said, Brentford launched it to him and he'd try to find the runners around him, succeeding at a really low percentage.

You could imagine a bigger team using his attributes in a different way, but there's just no proof of it. And then, you have the other risks mentioned.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Kane has years and years of playing in a team that plays attacking football on the floor, that used him as a pivot, as an extra midfielder at times, as a creator and finisher. 

You can't compare that with Toney. As I said, Brentford launched it to him and he'd try to find the runners around him, succeeding at a really low percentage.

You could imagine a bigger team using his attributes in a different way, but there's just no proof of it. And then, you have the other risks mentioned.

We could go round in circles all night to no real purpose.

We've both made our points clearly enough - everything else now is just circling.

4 hours ago, razor said:

I remember somebody with Bristol City fans as mates (Col?) going on about Alex Scott and how Liverpool should be all over it.

Don't know what happened there, but it's good to see that the shouts are proving to be correct.

Good luck to him, and also to Bournemouth who obviously took a bit of a financial risk to get him in.

I’ve never watched him play a match, but mates that are City fans were wanking over him, said he’s the best prospect they’ve had there since Andy Cole. 

5 hours ago, razor said:

It's better for us to let him test himself at Bournemouth first. If he's any good we can always buy him off them. I know he'll cost a lot more but it's a better way to do it.

It's too big a step to go from the Championship to our level. We tried it with Fabio Carvalho last year and it didn't work.

• Upvote 1