You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I don't see any meaningful support out there that we can bring in and expect to have instant impact with respect to what we have available now. It doesn't look like we are in a position to replace anybody from our 14 or 15 top players with an affordable January signing.

I don't really know what this means. Are you suggesting with a world leading research department and scouting team we would be unable to find players like Dom, macca and Diaz who all came in and made an instant impact? 

There's players absolutely everywhere. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It doesn't work like that? Are you 12? No business in the world, sporting or otherwise, believes the only solution to recruitment is long term strategic decisions. The world does not work like that. Sometimes you are faced with a challenge and you make a decision to spend tactically to get your goals or not spend and just hope for the best. Most businesses, unless in dire financial need, do not go for the "fingers crossed" approach. It's not a failure to need to go out of budget to solve a problem. Budgets are just targets, not unmovable constraints. The failure is being unable to identify a problem or identifying it and being unable to respond. 

You don't get many chances to win a league. Even moreso with cheats. Nobody thought we'd go 30 years, arsenal would go 20 and the mancs 10 last time they won one. When the chance presents itself you do everything you can to win it, well you do if winning is your target. 

Yes, I'm 12.

If we buy a player in Jan, unless you want Ben Davies to give us cover, it's someone we want for the next 5 years. And if there's no such player, they won't buy that player. It's simple stuff that the club have been doing for years and you can't say the club don't buy in Jan, because they do. 

Arsenal got Jorginho and Trossard last January. They were just lauded for getting the latter, "oh what ambition!" and they bottled the title spectacularly. Somewhat because those two are pretty irrelevant players.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, I'm 12.

If we buy a player in Jan, unless you want Ben Davies to give us cover, it's someone we want for the next 5 years. And if there's no such player, they won't buy that player. It's simple stuff that the club have been doing for years and you can't say the club don't buy in Jan, because they do. 

Arsenal got Jorginho and Trossard last January. They were just lauded for getting the latter, "oh what ambition!" and they bottled the title spectacularly. Somewhat because those two are pretty irrelevant players.

I'm not asking us to buy cover..go and read what I have said..I have said we should replace Matip and thiago now and bring the summers business forward 6 months. It'll cost us a little, but not a.lot in the grand scheme of things. 

Arsenal bottled the title race because arsenal are bottlers and their manager is a massive tit. We have neither of those issues. A look at how they handled the race for 4th 12.months before illustrated that. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't really know what this means. Are you suggesting with a world leading research department and scouting team we would be unable to find players like Dom, macca and Diaz who all came in and made an instant impact? 

There's players absolutely everywhere. 

I get what you are saying (sort of), I think if we are looking at someone, for example, if we were still in for that Andre lad and he tick all the boxes it would be stupid not to bring him in now just to try and save 5 or 10 million in the summer, when we have a decent chance of a title.

The thing is, we already have Dom, Macca or Diaz, we are not going to be replacing them now nor is there much guarantee such a player would have an instant impact. If there was a player sitting in a shop window in Frankfurt with a 49.99 price tag and a guaranteed-to-improve-you -at the-expense-of-what-you-already-have warranty it would be stupid not to get him.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not asking us to buy cover..go and read what I have said..I have said we should replace Matip and thiago now and bring the summers business forward 6 months. It'll cost us a little, but not a.lot in the grand scheme of things. 

Arsenal bottled the title race because arsenal are bottlers and their manager is a massive tit. We have neither of those issues. A look at how they handled the race for 4th 12.months before illustrated that. 

You've said if the club want to win the title, they'll buy someone. That's just simple, for the reasons I stated.

2 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I get what you are saying (sort of), I think if we are looking at someone, for example, if we were still in for that Andre lad and he tick all the boxes it would be stupid not to bring him in now just to try and save 5 or 10 million in the summer, when we have a decent chance of a title.

The thing is, we already have Dom, Macca or Diaz, we are not going to be replacing them now nor is there much guarantee such a player would have an instant impact. If there was a player sitting in a shop window in Frankfurt with a 49.99 price tag and a guaranteed-to-improve-you -at the-expense-of-what-you-already-have warranty it would be stupid not to get him.

I don't think Andre is on the list, and from how I understand this is the time to buy.

We don't really need someone to come in and make a massive impact. As I said before, 90 points for city is going to be really hard for them to do in the context of the points they have on the board now. They can draw just 2 and lose one to make 90. I think less than that will win the title, especially as they have to come to us and we have a good record against them at anfield. 

what we need imo, is just to replicate what we did in the first half of the season and change half of the 6 draws into wins. The squad isn't in the shape it was at the start of the season. The uefa and league cup will put a greater strain on the squad due to the quality of opposition and where we are in the tournaments. I think bringing in 2 lads who might just help us change 3 draws into wins and maintain the push we have already, might be all it needs. 

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think Andre is on the list, and from how I understand this is the time to buy.

We don't really need someone to come in and make a massive impact. As I said before, 90 points for city is going to be really hard for them to do in the context of the points they have on the board now. They can draw just 2 and lose one to make 90. I think less than that will win the title, especially as they have to come to us and we have a good record against them at anfield. 

what we need imo, is just to replicate what we did in the first half of the season and change half of the 6 draws into wins. The squad isn't in the shape it was at the start of the season. The uefa and league cup will put a greater strain on the squad due to the quality of opposition and where we are in the tournaments. I think bringing in 2 lads who might just help us change 3 draws into wins and maintain the push we have already, might be all it needs. 

Possibly, but I think we need to have things go our way a bit more (for the title) than we can simply create on our own by signing additional legs, if I understand your point correctly. Also I feel Klopp thinks we already have the tools, just need to utilize it better.

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Possibly, but I think we need to have things go our way a bit more (for the title) than we can simply create on our own by signing additional legs, if I understand your point correctly. Also I feel Klopp thinks we already have the tools, just need to utilize it better.

I think city actually have a shallow squad for once..I think they will really struggle to win 12-15 on the bounce like they have in other seasons. Some great match winners like Mahrez and gundogan are not there any more and they get those big runs generally because the tight games they win off the bench when they freshen up with more quality players. For me out of the current top 5, the team who has the strongest squad combined with a bit of luck, has the best chance to win - we can't control the luck, but we can control our swuad. Nobody is playing wonderfully well, it's almost an atritional season, where you need to dig in and just find a way to win every week, probably mostly not playing well. I don't think that'll be easy to do if we're starting owen beck at left back or whatever. 

49 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, I'm 12.

This is such a pathetic argument. Its almost as bad as when everybody said "who can we buy up front because we have Firmino, Mane and Salah?" and then we bought Jota who added more goals to that front line and switched out seamlessly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

This is such a pathetic argument. Its almost as bad as when everybody said "who can we buy up front because we have Firmino, Mane and Salah?" and then we bought Jota who added more goals to that front line and switched out seamlessly.

The turn of another year didn't make you any wiser, eh, Beef? 

What you wrote here has literally not a single modicum of relevance to what I wrote.

1 hour ago, AHA said:

Looks like we’ve brought Owen Beck back so doubt we’ll be buying a left back.

He's been one of, if not their best player since hes been at Dundee. Not sure how that'll translate to the PL but time will tell if he gets games I guess. 

11 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

He's been one of, if not their best player since hes been at Dundee. Not sure how that'll translate to the PL but time will tell if he gets games I guess. 

There’s a few cup games he can play in before Robbo returns. 

what we need imo, is just to replicate what we did in the first half of the season and change half of the 6 draws into wins.

If only we had a player capable of converting big chances on a consistent basis, not sure that's a January transfer fix though....

Maybe the next 6 months is when they come into their own.

• Downvote 2

Since we lost Wolves 3-0 on the 4th February, we have played 37 league games and won 80 points. City have won only 4 more with their 37 games. That included them having a 12 game winning run at the back end of last season. They aren't that far ahead of us since then. They have a smaller squad than us and rely heavily on a few. I'd be amazed if they get more than 87 points (47 points from a possible 57). I think it will be more like 85 and we won 43 (Spurs game cunt) in the opening 19. We do something similar and we have a great chance. 

If Robertson meets his target and is back for the Chelsea game at the end of January, that's just two more league games, including tonight, that he will miss. We may need a defender but not necessarily a left-back, as cover for the remainer of the season, though. 

I think we will be fine in midfield and up front, with what we currently have, barring a disaster. If we can get a top class option in 6 months early, then great, but we have enough, in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I see Beck’s been recalled so I’m assuming he’s the LB cover.

Probably recalled him to cover till Robertson is fit. Wouldn't be shocked if he went back there at the end of the month