You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

16 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

It would have been diagnosed as growing pains as recently as when Gerrard broke through and like you say their's far more care, scrutiny and risk these days.

Try to push a player through the issues and theirs a 10 page Athletic article with journo's and parents raging at the mis-treatment in 4 years time when they don't make it (there was one this week about Wayne Harrison and there was a duty of care investigation at the club a few months back on another player).

It makes it all the more baffling that despite the attempts to minimise risk it's going to take a massive lawsuit for leagues to start taking head injuries as seriously as they should be.

Fucking hell Wayne Harrison - that is a blast from the past. Lad died pretty young too didn't he.

Getting linked with Antonee Robinson from Fulham today

Can't see it myself, a 26 year old left back, would give us 3 LB at the start of next season. So unless Klopp was planning on moving on Kostas or Robbo in the summer to free up a non home grown spot,i can't see the club doing that. 

36 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Getting linked with Antonee Robinson from Fulham today

Can't see it myself, a 26 year old left back, would give us 3 LB at the start of next season. So unless Klopp was planning on moving on Kostas or Robbo in the summer to free up a non home grown spot,i can't see the club doing that. 

Sounds like lazy "journalism": a top club has a shortage in a position, so let's invent a link with a player who is currently doing quite well in that position.

On 26/12/2023 at 00:08, an tha said:

Fucking hell Wayne Harrison - that is a blast from the past. Lad died pretty young too didn't he.

Drank himself to death from what I remember. Poor bastard.

Edit: Died from a Pancreatic Illness so could well be alcohol related. Died Christmas Day 2013 at age 46.

43 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Antonee Robinson would be a throwback signing to when we signed average players who play well for teams down the lower end of the table. I’d be happy to get a competitive right back and keep Gomez as the LB cover, seems more switched on on the left.

Yes thats a good way of putting it. Middle of the road premiership player. I remember when us making that kind of signing was routine. 

Because transfers trump football, people get a bigger dopamine hit from signing a player (and then immediately crave the next one) than they do watching games with the actual football becoming an inconvenience that occurs between two transfer windows.

Whether it's a FIFA thing with increase of shit like ultimate teams or fantasy football or something else the culture of support is changing.

People support players over teams more often now than they did and will follow a player club to club (more prevalent in younger people).

Chelsea have become the embodiment of that as a club.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Freddo said:

If we're looking after a genuine left back the top target is surely Ait Nouri.  He's a quality player. That would mean one or Robbo or Tsimikas would leave in the summer.

Maybe more likely we look at the right back position. Anyhow, give us the dopamine hit 

There have been rumours of Nouri on and off for years (even before he went to Wolves), I think Tsimikas has secured his place in the squad with his stint while Robertson was out though.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Put a bid in for Jarad Branthwaite if only for shits and giggles.

No, seriously we should do this. A big offer, not for shits and giggles, but because they're in a perilous financial situation and can't turn it down. If they do turn it down and then fail FFP again, they'll have no excuse because they could have cashed in on him.

He's really good and adding him to Quansah and Konate solidifies that position for the next decade. I'd happily bid £50m for him on Jan 1 if it was up to me. He can be the hybrid LB/CB that City have with Ake / Gvardiol and he helps the home grown quota too.

Plus there's the fume.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, dave u said:

No, seriously we should do this. A big offer, not for shits and giggles, but because they're in a perilous financial situation and can't turn it down. If they do turn it down and then fail FFP again, they'll have no excuse because they could have cashed in on him.

He's really good and adding him to Quansah and Konate solidifies that position for the next decade. I'd happily bid £50m for him on Jan 1 if it was up to me. He can be the hybrid LB/CB that City have with Ake / Gvardiol and he helps the home grown quota too.

Plus there's the fume.

The fume is probably worth £30m so we’d be getting a huge talent for £20m.

• Upvote 1