You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2024 Transfer Thread

Bjornebye

42 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

His ceiling as a player is probably league 1 so dont really think his attitude makes much of a difference.

It made a difference to him getting a game at Aberdeen, which is why he was sent up there.

29 minutes ago, Mook said:

It made a difference to him getting a game at Aberdeen, which is why he was sent up there.

Sure, didnt mean to question that at all. 

Point I intended to make was that I doubt he’s got the potential to be a PL player, regardless of attitude. If he’s got attitude issues as well he’ll probably struggle to make it as a professional player.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Sure, didnt mean to question that at all. 

Point I intended to make was that I doubt he’s got the potential to be a PL player, regardless of attitude. If he’s got attitude issues as well he’ll probably struggle to make it as a professional player.

Aye, doesn't look we're going to make much money on him if the attitude thing is true.

United's problems was laid bare in an article the other day , where their 4 main targets for up front in January were discussed, and every single one of them were totally different types of forwards ( Guirassy, Werner, Choupo-Moting and Muller ). Where is the plan in that ?

8 minutes ago, sir roger said:

United's problems was laid bare in an article the other day , where their 4 main targets for up front in January were discussed, and every single one of them were totally different types of forwards ( Guirassy, Werner, Choupo-Moting and Muller ). Where is the plan in that ?

Hopefully whoever they get in will be as successful as Falcao, Weghorst & Ighalo.

Not as if they’ve just spent £72m on a new  striker with more spots than goals, £86m on one of the worst wide forwards the league has ever seen or are about to loan out £73m winger because he’s fallen out with the manager or anything like that. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Well, I think we can agree this will fix all of their issues…

IMG_0632.png

I didn't realise Werner was back at RBL! I would have loved to see what Klopp could have done with him though. 

47 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Well I don't think it is a footballing plan, it is who they can get through the door without breaching FFP and if that player has a slightly higher chance of scoring than their current forwards who don't score.  

It's short term measures while they re-structure the playing squad. They've already refused to pick up the extra year on Varane's deal (unless he takes a wage cut) and look to be shifting Sancho out on loan, under the previous owners they'd have triggered Varanes deal and locked themselves into another year of 350k a week and just had Sancho sulking around for the remainder of his contract.

Any striker they sign will be a stop gap while Hojlund is up to speed which is why they're looking at slightly older strikers, in some instances, than they usually would.

They're also cutting costs fractionally on players like Lindelof and Wan Bisakka by triggering their extra year deals which will protect value for any future moves as well as saving a small amount on their respective book values.

You'll see lots of these little, seemingly insignificant moves, before any grander moves further down the line which they presumably hope will all add up.

Remains to be seen if it all comes together but they at least look like sensible business/cultural decisions with one eye on whats happening on the pitch.

15 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Phillips and Keller will both be part of our 2030/31 squad. 

Certainly hope so, though Kasey Keller will be in his early 60s by then. 

A 37-year-old Endo still financing all of our lives with his weekly yellow card too.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Certainly hope so, though Kasey Keller will be in his early 60s by then. 

A 37-year-old Endo still financing all of our lives with his weekly yellow card too.  

More fool you, I was referring to Alfred Keller the distinguished Nazi general.

Need to be scouring the world for the best up and coming #6 available who's a year or two away with a view integrating them into the team over that period if Endo is to be the short term option.

Ideally someone who would be complimentary to Bajcetic rather than a similar player, a big imposing defensive wall who can also play.

53 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's short term measures while they re-structure the playing squad. They've already refused to pick up the extra year on Varane's deal (unless he takes a wage cut) and look to be shifting Sancho out on loan, under the previous owners they'd have triggered Varanes deal and locked themselves into another year of 350k a week and just had Sancho sulking around for the remainder of his contract.

Any striker they sign will be a stop gap while Hojlund is up to speed which is why they're looking at slightly older strikers, in some instances, than they usually would.

They're also cutting costs fractionally on players like Lindelof and Wan Bisakka by triggering their extra year deals which will protect value for any future moves as well as saving a small amount on their respective book values.

You'll see lots of these little, seemingly insignificant moves, before any grander moves further down the line which they presumably hope will all add up.

Remains to be seen if it all comes together but they at least look like sensible business/cultural decisions with one eye on whats happening on the pitch.

while they might have extended varane previously, they have always been happy to ship players out on loan. the likes of sanchez they were paying his wages for years. everton had the likes of Donny on the beak and I am sure a few others. Didn't they also shift lukaku on loan initially? 

9 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Need to be scouring the world for the best up and coming #6 available who's a year or two away with a view integrating them into the team over that period if Endo is to be the short term option.

Ideally someone who would be complimentary to Bajcetic rather than a similar player, a big imposing defensive wall who can also play.

As a rule we don’t really sign these players though do we. They’re either a signed a few years younger whilst still cheap enough or a few years later when they’ve had a couple of years of first team football. It’d certainly be a sensible way of adding to what is a fairly balanced yet slightly short on numbers squad though.

The authorities seem to be cracking down on FFP, Everton and City charged, Forest and Chelsea being investigated, Arsenal and Utd with no money to spend. Our penny pinching may be about to come home to roost and not in the way most on here thought. 

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

The authorities seem to be cracking down on FFP, Everton and City charged, Forest and Chelsea being investigated, Arsenal and Utd with no money to spend. Our penny pinching may be about to come home to roost and not in the way most on here thought. 

are forest and chelsea being investigated? i know chelsea have kind of grassed themselves up from the previous regime in the hope of being let off. but i don't think the league would have acted otherwise. and what is happening with forest? i read forest will be close to the PL PSR, but I don't think that is a crackdown, it is just they're breaking rules, which nobody has before (except everton). 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

are forest and chelsea being investigated? i know chelsea have kind of grassed themselves up from the previous regime in the hope of being let off. but i don't think the league would have acted otherwise. and what is happening with forest? i read forest will be close to the PL PSR, but I don't think that is a crackdown, it is just they're breaking rules, which nobody has before (except everton). 

I'm sure Chelsea is all but official, Forest, that's me reading between the lines. They issued some very Everton like statements, as in yeah we're guilty but it wasn't our fault. I've long been of the belief that FSG are the main instigators behind this along with Spurs, Arsenal and Utd with the ultimate aim to destroy Man City. If the latter 2 have to suffer spending restrictions to make it happen then that's all good. Once Everton were punished there was no turning back, its all very black and white now and we are appear to be the whitest of the white.

33 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

So we’ve had Carvalho, Williams and Phillips all come back early from their loans?

Carvalho and Nat could be useful for these cup games coming up.

Nat was catastrophically bad for Celtic. No way will he get a game. 

55 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

As a rule we don’t really sign these players though do we. They’re either a signed a few years younger whilst still cheap enough or a few years later when they’ve had a couple of years of first team football. It’d certainly be a sensible way of adding to what is a fairly balanced yet slightly short on numbers squad though.

Depends, you're probably going to be looking at, ideally, 19 at a minimum and 21 pushing 22 maximum so you're not looking at players in the reserves with no first team experience and you wouldn't be mothballing them for two seasons in the U23's or looking to send them out on loan (unless an exceptional opportunity opened up at a premier league club and even then only consider it in the first year) ideally they'd be part of the first team squad.

You're probably casting your eye, initially, to France/Portugal/Holland so they're going to have some games at a decent level under their belt.

Age/experience wouldn't be dissimilar to a Gravenberch when we tried to get him from Ajax although he was arguably slightly further along experience and reputation wise.

19 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Depends, you're probably going to be looking at, ideally, 19 at a minimum and 21 pushing 22 maximum so you're not looking at players in the reserves with no first team experience and you wouldn't be mothballing them for two seasons in the U23's or looking to send them out on loan (unless an exceptional opportunity opened up at a premier league club and even then only consider it in the first year) ideally they'd be part of the first team squad.

You're probably casting your eye, initially, to France/Portugal/Holland so they're going to have some games at a decent level under their belt.

Age/experience wouldn't be dissimilar to a Gravenberch when we tried to get him from Ajax although he was arguably slightly further along experience and reputation wise.

I think that’s definitely the profile we should be looking at and speculative bids in the summer suggest we’re willing to push the boat out and take somewhat of a risk in attaining the right player for that role.

I’d love to see us go balls out in the summer and add Wirtz to the mix. He’d be the guy I’d throw any potential Mo money at. Once Mo goes team will need adapting anyway so a no10 might be fruitful to have in the mix.