You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-Season 2023

TD_LFC

On 19/07/2023 at 22:16, Trojan1892 said:

Quansah got it….. my mate is a Bristol Rovers fan and said he was absolute class for them last season.

He was winning all his duels against grown men with ease and I'm not an exercise physiologist or whatever, but you can tell by his frame he can still get much bigger and stronger. He has wide shoulders. Maybe one that will actually make it to the first team. 

Hope so, if they want to move on Phillips and keep Quansah around then great, but still feel we're walking into a repeat of the midfield situation in the defence. A right back would give us numbers, but I still want to avoid Gomez covering Virgil as he was terrible on that side last season.

(Joe Gomez still very much a good player, btw. Just not there).

Absolute minimum of two bodies still needed, I've also come around on needing one more when the two sales happen. Even with Quansah and Clark providing further depth.

On 19/07/2023 at 22:16, Trojan1892 said:

Quansah got it….. my mate is a Bristol Rovers fan and said he was absolute class for them last season.

Rovers are my local team down here, so I saw the majority of his games for them. Absolute class is a stretch. His performances were quite mixed. The Rovers fans aren't clamouring for him to return.

Ben Gibson, another centre back on loan (Everton), stood out a lot more and there's a lad at Stoke, Conor Taylor, who was on loan the season before who also had a much better loan spell than Quansah. 

Quansah's very accomplished on the ball, but quite prone to errors. He was directly responsible for some goals through being clumsy and misreading the play. However, he's young and would have learnt a lot from his time in League One. There's definitely a decent player in there but he's nowhere near ready for the Premier League at the moment. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Anyone have 'a Lion* ate one of our players' as a reason to fuck up our pre-season?

https://apnews.com/article/germany-berlin-escaped-animal-lioness-alert-884a68e65c0461b843d126e1dc797564

*they think it might be a Boar

"He has a slight problem. A knock. Two, maybe three weeks."

man-mauled.gif

On 19/07/2023 at 20:41, bossy said:

I do enjoy footy when there’s no pressure and it’s us playing. Should just play friendlies, good for the old blood pressure. Some good, some not so good, but nice run out. 

Complete opposite, for me. 

Liverpool matches that have no stakes bore me. I remember playing City, a few days after losing to them in the league cup, and having no interest in the game.

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I can't even work out what type of formation that side is supposed to be in either.

Trent 6

Mac allister right sided 8.

Gakpo left sided 8.

In possession gakpo and Macallister push into ten positions, bradley inverts alongside trent, van dijk, konate and Robertson into a back 3.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Trent 6

Mac allister right sided 8.

Gakpo left sided 8.

In possession gakpo and Macallister push into ten positions, bradley inverts alongside trent, van dijk, konate and Robertson into a back 3.

Thanks, will try to watch how they're moving around when it starts too.

3 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks, will try to watch how they're moving around when it starts too.

Slight variation on that might be Gakpo and Mac Allister may line up on the opposite sides if we stick to  the the left sided cm being the most defensive out of possession.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its the new craze "Make do" formation.

I'm sure it makes sense whatever they've got planned, just strange seeing Trent in midfield then what I thought would be four attacking players. I was thinking 4-2-4 or 4-2-3-1 at first.

We played without a midfield last season even though we had about 74 midfielders.

So maybe this is a new cutting edge move - play with hardly any midfielders!

The only problem with all this is if it all bears absolutely no resemblance to what we actually really wish to do going forward and then how can we get it to work if we haven't played that way in pre season/had the players we want getting time doing it.

It all feels very make and do - hopefully for next leg of pre season it is more of a proper dummy run that resembles what is going to be our identity. We need our new men in and our new identity to be forged.

As for kids getting mins that is nothing new or to worry about - but usually it is as close to like for like as possible and in a preferred or usual formation - it all feels a bit like we just don't really know yet - maybe it is all in hand, but does not really look that way as it stands.

Next leg of pre season will hopefully tell us more and that it is.

11 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'm sure it makes sense whatever they've got planned, just strange seeing Trent in midfield then what I thought would be four attacking players. I was thinking 4-2-4 or 4-2-3-1 at first.

As Scott says we beat the Mancs 7-0 with a variation of this system and the change to inverted fullback coincided with out 10 game run at the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Yeah, similar to the one where we beat the mancs 7-0.

Oh here we go! 

There you go Jurgen, theres your formation for next season! All the thrills and spills from when we beat the manc's 7-0. Give us the trophies now, we will be unstoppable!

(Bournemouth 1 Liverpool 0)