You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Ham Vs Liverpool - Wednesday 26th April at 19.45

3 minutes ago, bossy said:

Selling him now would be monumentally stupid.

Only if you don't replace him with a player that fits the system and can also add balance to the attack.

Adding a multi-functional forward who can play right or central would have been far more productive for this attack if, as it currently seem's, we're wed to the idea of a false 9.

Moussa Diaby or Nkunku (I know he's going to Chelsea), for example, would have made far more sense with the forwards we had and we could have still added Gakpo.

We either have to find a set up that maximises Nunez's strengths or sell him.

We can't completely mould Nunez into a different sort of player.

So how do we get him into a side and maximise his strengths - it is hard to see.

For me he needs to become more refined in certain aspects of his game if he wants to be a regular starter in our front 3 down the middle. I'd say it is mostly about off the ball positioning and awareness and linking play and his hold up play.

I read somewhere other day someone say he is like having an elite version of Milan Baros at the moment....He works hard - he is exciting and makes things happen and causes problems and carries a goal threat.... Loves to run in behind but can't hold the ball up very effectively and his work off the ball is less effective than it should be.

Seems fair to me that...

We don't ask our central forward to play on the shoulder which he is clearly good at - and when we have got him down middle in those situations he has shown what he ca  do - but we ask him to come short, we ask him to interchange, we ask him to link play and press....Is he suited to what we ask of our wide forwards either - again not ideally IMO.

He is clearly a very talented player and we spent a lot of money on him - maybe Klopp has a masterplan and we'll see it whwn we fix things behind the front men - but as it stands as good a player as he is, it is hard to see where and how it works for him. Gonna be interesting this. It is a real puzzle.

19 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I disagree. I saw a lot of dithering on the ball, being dispossessed on several occasions putting WH on the front foot, and none of the calm assurance. The Hammers finished strongly. I’m just glad we had a decent ref because it wasn’t a penalty but I wouldn’t have wanted someone like Tierney calling it. I think a fully firing Thiago is just what we need, but his last couple of appearances have been far from it.

He's been out for a while and has only had a few short cameos. He did get caught in possession once but aside from that he was fine.

6 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Darwin has the highest IG and second highest goals / assists per minute in our squad. He’s also the only plan b player we have. 

Yeah. Important considerations. Mo was well below par tonight but didn’t get subbed at all. Like I’ve stated in another post, we currently appear to have zero backup for Mo, or the ability to sub him w/o changing our shape. Could Darwin make the right hand side his? You’d think the training schedule for these players included adaptation to the right since we are so weak there. 

We've spent a lot of time hearing about Trent's defensive deficiencies, but when he throws a shimmy in midfield leaving an opponent wondering where he has gone and then skims across the ground like the ball is talking to him it is poetry in motion and a privilege to watch.

• Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Darwin has the highest IG and second highest goals / assists per minute in our squad. He’s also the only plan b player we have. 

Nah, fuck that. We should sell him because he done fuck all in a 15 minute cameo in an away win tonight.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We've spent a lot of time hearing about Trent's defensive deficiencies, but when he throws a shimmy in midfield leaving an opponent wondering where he has gone and then skims across the ground like the ball is talking to him it is poetry in motion and a privilege to watch.

In contrast, Hendo, if given some tackling blocking coaching, has the style and panache of a solid uninventive Right Back.

Straight swap it is then.

We ain't gonna get top 4 but for next season it's important to finish this season well with a bit of momentum and positivity. 

There are still massive questions marks over some of our senior players and big decisions still need to be made in the summer.  Collectively we still aren't playing as a cohesive unit at all but we're at least grinding some results out at last. 

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

To be honest he seeks to be much less passive in the middle and does close down quicker and gets a foot in. Maybe he just feels more comfortable there vs right back, which is crazy to think considering how many assists he's got from a position that's not his natural one.

I thought we were very good tonight. Sure West Ham had their moments, but their spells were brief flashes in an otherwise dominant away display. We looked sharper when there was a second ball to be won, and we put together attacks with much more cohesion than we've seen in other away displays this season. We had to come from behind. AND we did it while wearing that awful away kit! Nice finish by Cody and a bullet of a header from Big Bird. The game reminded me of our league run-in last season.

Saying all that, I think our worst spell of the match was after Darwin and Milly came on. The composure of the first 80 minutes gave way to giving West Ham a chance to build up a head of steam and get up the pitch. Though we had Thiago on already, we didn't keep the ball. An attack consisting of a rusty Lucho, Mo on one of his off nights and Darwin looking like a player who relies on instinct over game intelligence, wasn't going to help us keep the ball in their half of the pitch.

I have to mention the officials. On the whole I thought they had a good game too. Kavanagh the ref wasn't fussy so the game had a flow to it rather than being stop-start. The non-penalty call was spot on as Thiago's arm was moving exactly as you'd expect when your body is falling to ground. That the ball connected with it in that moment, after coming off his own foot, meant there was nothing intentional whatsoever. Won't stop Moyes having a moan though. The only thing that annoyed me was that once West Ham went behind, they were stealing 10 yards off every throw-in and the officials didn't do anything. There was also a free kick conceded by Fab about 10 yards inside the West Ham half late on that was allowed to be taken about 5 yards inside OUR half! 

A win is a win though. Let's keep up the momentum.

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Nah, fuck that. We should sell him because he done fuck all in a 15 minute cameo in an away win tonight.

It's about more than goals and assists though, it's about team cohesion and being able to introduce players into the game that don't disrupt the way you play.

Ronaldo scored loads of goals for Utd on his second go around, doesn't mean he was the right signing for them and he had an adverse effect on the team and the other forwards around him (although granted for different reasons to Nunez).

If we're building a side that can cater for a forward line that utilises both Gakpo and Nunez (either together or in rotation), and can alternate between those systems within a game, then fine, but if we don't and if we build a side for the same kind of forward line we've seen since the beginning under Klopp and every time we introduce Nunez we look disjointed and he looks like he doesn't fit, then whats the point?

11 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I thought we were very good tonight. Sure West Ham had their moments, but their spells were brief flashes in an otherwise dominant away display. We looked sharper when there was a second ball to be won, and we put together attacks with much more cohesion than we've seen in other away displays this season. We had to come from behind. AND we did it while wearing that awful away kit! Nice finish by Cody and a bullet of a header from Big Bird. The game reminded me of our league run-in last season.

Saying all that, I think our worst spell of the match was after Darwin and Milly came on. The composure of the first 80 minutes gave way to giving West Ham a chance to build up a head of steam and get up the pitch. Though we had Thiago on already, we didn't keep the ball. An attack consisting of a rusty Lucho, Mo on one of his off nights and Darwin looking like a player who relies on instinct over game intelligence, wasn't going to help us keep the ball in their half of the pitch.

I have to mention the officials. On the whole I thought they had a good game too. Kavanagh the ref wasn't fussy so the game had a flow to it rather than being stop-start. The non-penalty call was spot on as Thiago's arm was moving exactly as you'd expect when your body is falling to ground. That the ball connected with it in that moment, after coming off his own foot, meant there was nothing intentional whatsoever. Won't stop Moyes having a moan though. The only thing that annoyed me was that once West Ham went behind, they were stealing 10 yards off every throw-in and the officials didn't do anything. There was also a free kick conceded by Fab about 10 yards inside the West Ham half late on that was allowed to be taken about 5 yards inside OUR half! 

A win is a win though. Let's keep up the momentum.

It was ridiculous how far from the foul they were allowed to take that freekick. And the cheeky bugger still rolled it forward a couple of extra yards right at the end when the ref wasn't looking. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

It's about more than goals and assists though, it's about team cohesion and being able to introduce players into the game that don't disrupt the way you play.

Or it is about the exact opposite. As an impact sub, or Plan B, you would want something completely different to change a game.

And Now For Something Completely Different GIFs | Tenor

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Or it is about the exact opposite. As an impact sub, or Plan B, you would want something completely different to change a game.

And Now For Something Completely Different GIFs | Tenor

You don't bring a player on to have an adverse effect on how you play.

10 minutes ago, sir roger said:

We have been talking for years about strength in depth, then as soon as we have 5 excellent forwards we are desperate to sell one straight away, with absolutely no guarantee the money will be used to replace him.

same people were saying Jota doesn’t fit in a short while back.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

You definitely bring a player on to change and adverse game situation. It is the definition of a Plan B.

Which is different to what I've said.

A plan B should have a positive impact not a negative one, if that player makes us more disjointed then it isn't a positive change.

If we can find a way of playing that makes us better when they come on then it would be a positive impact and not an issue.