You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

He's been shite at that all season. Watch a stream mate. 

I watch all of the games - and I particularly watch his contributions.  There are loads of YouTubes out there showing every touch the player makes in a game.  He hasn't been shite all season.  

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

If you look at the 18-20 midfield. Fabinho is the 6 who wins duels, Gini conserves the ball and Hendo is the progressive one. They all did more than that, but that's sort of the vague summary, and the balance was great. Then you had Firmino who at the same time, had midfield skills with grit and creativity, and he was a threat in the final 3rd.

Thiago basically fits with anybody because he's good at almost everything, but he's getting older. Hendo is still useful, but getting older and Fabinho has been Space Jam'd. All I'm arguing for is that we need complimentary players, but I'm not sure we really know what we're doing currently.

I agree we need complimentary players, but we don't have Chelsea's money to change them all at once, so it's a work in progress. 

You mention about the players getting older. While.weve had some kids have a crack in bajcetic and Elliot, the reality is we effectively stuck with what we had age wise when keita was signed. We effectively replace Gini with thiago, but while different players, they were similar ages. We're 5 years older than 2018 and it's not a great surprise when bajcetic plays we look fresher. 

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I watch all of the games - and I particularly watch his contributions.  There are loads of YouTubes out there showing every touch the player makes in a game.  He hasn't been shite all season.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on that then..I think all of our senior players in midfield have been shite with a slight milner exception. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, an tha said:

I am not convinced if we are going to rebuild and build another great team that Thiago has a part to play - I can see the argument for him having a reduced role and maybe the mentor stuff - just not convinced about it - personally i'd let him go.

I get where you’re coming from. 

IMO, we won’t give Thiago a new contract. If Thiago stays, unless it all clicks perfectly next season, he won’t be part of Klopp’s 2nd team.

Only Klopp knows the right or wrong answer to this, or even if there is one. 

When you look at the most important players under Klopp, Gini has gone, Mane has gone, Firmino is going, Hendo & Milner will play less & less… I think there is a possibility we leave ourselves a bit leaderless / lack in experience.

IMO, I’d prefer Thiago to stay, I wouldn’t argue if he left.

Been reading the Wolves v Spurs match report. They all say Nunes gave the ball away a lot and was hooked after an hour. 

He had a few good games when Lopategui came in, given the feedback from Weds and today, I’m a bit concerned if we sign him. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on that then..I think all of our senior players in midfield have been shite with a slight milner exception. 

we're always going to disagree on this- you have called Thiago shite almost since he came through the door, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

5 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I get where you’re coming from. 

IMO, we won’t give Thiago a new contract. If Thiago stays, unless it all clicks perfectly next season, he won’t be part of Klopp’s 2nd team.

Only Klopp knows the right or wrong answer to this, or even if there is one. 

When you look at the most important players under Klopp, Gini has gone, Mane has gone, Firmino is going, Hendo & Milner will play less & less… I think there is a possibility we leave ourselves a bit leaderless / lack in experience.

IMO, I’d prefer Thiago to stay, I wouldn’t argue if he left.

Yeah i can see need for experienced heads and leaders - a side needs them.

It's a problem we have with our age profile in midfield - literally our only peak/prime age midfielder is Naby fucking Keita - a leader should emerge around that age and around that level of experience. We have to rely on a player closer to 40 than 30, a near 32 year old with a terrible injury record and a near 33 year old captain who's legs have gone as our leaders in midfield. None of them unfortunately add enough on the park over course of a season because of those respective issues.

Wouldn't be surprised if we go for that lad Alcarez at Southampton in the likely event they go down. Apparently, he was Benfica's target to replace Enzo Fernandez and he's looked decent so far.

31 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I agree we need complimentary players, but we don't have Chelsea's money to change them all at once, so it's a work in progress. 

You mention about the players getting older. While.weve had some kids have a crack in bajcetic and Elliot, the reality is we effectively stuck with what we had age wise when keita was signed. We effectively replace Gini with thiago, but while different players, they were similar ages. We're 5 years older than 2018 and it's not a great surprise when bajcetic plays we look fresher. 

Yeah, I edited my post to say also that Gini, Fab and Hendo were all at peak athleticism. Obviously also a big deal 

• Upvote 1

Yeah it is an obvious shout and yeah it has been made many times on here by people, but that Caicedo would be an absolutely ideal signing for us.

He is already some player at just 21 and could maybe become absolutely top class - could be an absolute lynchpin for years.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yeah it is an obvious shout and yeah it has been made many times on here by people, but that Caicedo would be an absolutely ideal signing for us.

He is already some player at just 21 and could maybe become absolutely top class - could be an absolute lynchpin for years.

Read this morning he has extended his contract at Brighton to 2027

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Said a while back him over Bellingham for me if we are staying with the same tactics and formation. He has the potential to do what Kante has for years. He will cover defensively so the fullbacks can get forward. If he has signed a new deal at Brighton will be hard to prise him out unless there is a release clause

5 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Said a while back him over Bellingham for me if we are staying with the same tactics and formation. He has the potential to do what Kante has for years. He will cover defensively so the fullbacks can get forward. If he has signed a new deal at Brighton will be hard to prise him out unless there is a release clause

Bound to be a release clause because he skipped a game to try and get the move to Arsenal in January.

6 hours ago, Lee909 said:

If we're staying with the same formation and tactic then Bellingham and Caicedo aren't alternatives to each other, they perform different roles.

12 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Been reading the Wolves v Spurs match report. They all say Nunes gave the ball away a lot and was hooked after an hour. 

He had a few good games when Lopategui came in, given the feedback from Weds and today, I’m a bit concerned if we sign him. 

I only watched the second half but he was poor until he was hooked. 

12 hours ago, an tha said:

Yeah i can see need for experienced heads and leaders - a side needs them.

It's a problem we have with our age profile in midfield - literally our only peak/prime age midfielder is Naby fucking Keita - a leader should emerge around that age and around that level of experience. We have to rely on a player closer to 40 than 30, a near 32 year old with a terrible injury record and a near 33 year old captain who's legs have gone as our leaders in midfield. None of them unfortunately add enough on the park over course of a season because of those respective issues.

I’m not sure you’re thinking about this the same way I am. We might / might not sign some players I mention below, let’s just use them as examples.

Assuming Ox & Keita are the only ones to leave…

Milner, Hendo, Thiago to be around the squad and play intermittently - Thiago likely used the most of the 3.

We still have Fabinho (who has been getting back to his old self recently) & Bajcetic (19 in October). 

Say we sign Bellingham (20 in June) or Kone (22 in May) or Caicedo (22 in November) or Nunes (a bit different as he’s 24 but only ever played in average sides)…. As good as these players are (or might be) that is still a very inexperienced group of players.

Bellingham is maybe a bit different this season, none of them have experience of going toe to toe for the league or latter stages of the CL. It’ll be a huge step up coming from Brighton or Wolves or Monchengladbach etc to play for us. 

That’s why I’d be looking to keep Thiago in the squad. He’s played his whole career at challenging for trophies. He has the most quality on the ball and most likely change the game with a killer pass or be a calming influence when needed. 

Let Hendo & Milner show professionalism around training and what the expectations of a Liverpool player is. 

With Thiago, I do appreciate though that the previous factors (injuries, age, contract, wages etc) might all feed into a decision to sell this summer. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I’m not sure you’re thinking about this the same way I am. We might / might not sign some players I mention below, let’s just use them as examples.

Assuming Ox & Keita are the only ones to leave…

Milner, Hendo, Thiago to be around the squad and play intermittently - Thiago likely used the most of the 3.

We still have Fabinho (who has been getting back to his old self recently) & Bajcetic (19 in October). 

Say we sign Bellingham (20 in June) or Kone (22 in May) or Caicedo (22 in November) or Nunes (a bit different as he’s 24 but only ever played in average sides)…. As good as these players are (or might be) that is still a very inexperienced group of players.

Bellingham is maybe a bit different this season, none of them have experience of going toe to toe for the league or latter stages of the CL. It’ll be a huge step up coming from Brighton or Wolves or Monchengladbach etc to play for us. 

That’s why I’d be looking to keep Thiago in the squad. He’s played his whole career at challenging for trophies. He has the most quality on the ball and most likely change the game with a killer pass or be a calming influence when needed. 

Let Hendo & Milner show professionalism around training and what the expectations of a Liverpool player is. 

With Thiago, I do appreciate though that the previous factors (injuries, age, contract, wages etc) might all feed into a decision to sell this summer. 

There's no sense in shelling out hundreds of thousands of pounds each week just to demonstrate professionalism in training, especially if those coining it in aren't contributing on the pitch when it matters.

I've said before but my view for this window is there should be no way back for any of the out of contract midfielders. The only way I would make an exception for that is if a big offer came in for any of fab, thiago or Henderson. And again, I wouldn't entertain losing any of the other midfielders aside from the 3 out of contract, unless the player wants out or an exceptional offer comes in. 

We need to bring in 3 to replace the 3 leaving and I think that's enough for one summer. We've seen the positive impact of some legs in bajcetic, add 3 more players and there's no reason to think Henderson, thiago and fab can't all contribute next year with a lessened work load - Henderson and fab have both had decent moments on the back of some rest recently. 

The only real question mark for me remains is Jones. He seems so far away from getting a game and misses the squad regularly, but I'm never sure if that's injury or klopp just drops him. I see no reason to sell him, there's so little upside - we won't get a big fee and he earns low wages. But equally if he's not going to make it, just get rid. 

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

There's no sense in shelling out hundreds of thousands of pounds each week just to demonstrate professionalism in training, especially if those coining it in aren't contributing on the pitch when it matters.

I do get that. I’m not saying they won’t play full stop, their game time would / should be limited.

An alternative question is would you, come March / April time, be happy with Fabinho and a bunch of players <23?