You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

10 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Said a while back him over Bellingham for me if we are staying with the same tactics and formation. He has the potential to do what Kante has for years. He will cover defensively so the fullbacks can get forward. If he has signed a new deal at Brighton will be hard to prise him out unless there is a release clause

Rumour is he and the club have come to an agreement, he’s got a decent pay rise and it backdated to the start of the season, the club have let him have a release clause and he’s promised to buckle down for the rest of the season. 

He’s still given his word to Chelsea. 

17 hours ago, an tha said:

One of the big problems we have is the constantly rotating cast in midfield - it is literally game in game out, we hardly ever put out same 3 - for me it affects cohesion, rhythm, conssitency and understanding.

Thiago's injury issues are a part of that.

For me we need reliability and consistency - and when we do choose to our need to rotate we need more like for like that we can slot in.

I am not convinced if we are going to rebuild and build another great team that Thiago has a part to play - I can see the argument for him having a reduced role and maybe the mentor stuff - just not convinced about it - personally i'd let him go.

The midfield three have always been the most heavily rotated part of the team under Klopp.

On 04/03/2023 at 13:27, Bobby Hundreds said:

Rio Ferdinand saying Bellingham should go to United as they are on the up and Liverpool have stagnated and are being surpassed. This season is a write off but next season we finish above them I've no doubt.

Someone should ask Rio now how Bellingham feels.

2 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

The Echo running an article saying a complete re build in mf is no longer possibly required following the Manc hammering!!

It was never required.

It's always been about adding the right attributes and putting the existing players in the right roles for them to succeed rather than forcing them to do things.

We were never buying 5 or 6 midfielders and we never needed too.

Just now, Razoray said:

Need a centre back and back-up right back also in mh opinion. 

If Matip leaves we’ll need a CB. I think we’ve got enough cover at RB ( Ramsey, Milner, Gomez) and whatever money is available should be ploughed into getting the best available midfielders.  

1 minute ago, aws said:

If Matip leaves we’ll need a CB. I think we’ve got enough cover at RB ( Ramsey, Milner, Gomez) and whatever money is available should be ploughed into getting the best available midfielders.  

Matip looks to be on the wane and Gomez has been poor at centre back for a lot of games this year. If we want to be getting 90+ points again from next season, you can't have an inconsistent CB. Milner may stay and fill a gap at RB, Ramsay might step up and Gomez can do a job there but I'd much rather a 10m Tsimikas. Granted it takes money from the kitty 

Just now, Razoray said:

Matip looks to be on the wane and Gomez has been poor at centre back for a lot of games this year. If we want to be getting 90+ points again from next season, you can't have an inconsistent CB. Milner may stay and fill a gap at RB, Ramsay might step up and Gomez can do a job there but I'd much rather a 10m Tsimikas. Granted it takes money from the kitty 

I don’t disagree with any of that but assuming we’re paying £100- 120m for Bellingham that’s not going to leave much over and I think the priority should be another midfielder. 

1 minute ago, aws said:

I don’t disagree with any of that but assuming we’re paying £100- 120m for Bellingham that’s not going to leave much over and I think the priority should be another midfielder. 

We are not paying anything close to that much money upfront for Bellingham. It will be staggered payments.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It was never required.

It's always been about adding the right attributes and putting the existing players in the right roles for them to succeed rather than forcing them to do things.

We were never buying 5 or 6 midfielders and we never needed 

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It was never required.

Agreed , but 2 possibly 3 are needed with decent cover for TAA and a 3rd choice cb. I don’t believe Thiago, Hendo and Fabinho will play as many games next season , Elliot for me is not a midfielder.

Just now, Bad Red Bull said:

We are not paying anything close to that much money upfront for Bellingham. It will be staggered payments.

Yes but the budget takes into account committed payments as well as immediate payments. 

If we can sign Gvardiol we should make it happen.

He is the best defender on the market, as Bellingham is for midfield. You would be adding two young world class players to the squad. Last time we did that it set us up for 5 years.

Those two and another midfielder would be a great summer.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, etho said:

Gvardiol is brilliant but I'd be surprised if we signed him to play back up to Van dijk, and I'd be surprised if we moved Virgil over to be the right sided CB 

Tend to agree, might also give VVD a bit of a rocket up his arse. He must know he’s undroppable, he wouldnt be if we got Gvardiol.

We’re still linked with Antonio Silva at Benfica and David Lynch suggested we’re looking at Levi Colwill of Chelsea (on loan at Brighton). 

1 hour ago, aws said:

I agree on the RB point.

If we’re that convinced of Gvardiol, we should be looking to make it happen - he’s only 21. 

Not sure how we’d do it. 

2 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

It was never required.

Has annyone ever suggested we we needed to buy 5/6 midfielders? 2/3 probably. I’ve never seen anyone suggest 5 or 6.