You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

Spurs spurring it up again. They initially loaned Doherty to Atletico, then realised they were already at the limit of their players on loan, so had to mutually agree to terminate his contract so he could sign for Atletico, and thereby lose any fee from a sale.

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Which makes it one of the greatest pieces of business in modern sport.

Yes indeed.  There are some (very) few players where selling them for any amount of money just makes you look stupid in the eyes of history.  Enzo Fernandez is not going to be one of those.

7 hours ago, No2 said:

I think 4th is still possible, Guimeres is now out of our game, win at Newcastle and we will catch them. We've been quite lucky in recent weeks, Toney, Trossard and Caicedo have missed our games, the wolves goal ruled out, marginal offsides going in our favour. 

Great spirit, I’ll give you that.

But need to remind you that the injuries to those players you mention didnt exactly make us win games. Perhaps they helped avoid a total humiliation, but that wont bring many points.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Oh well 9th in the league and we've chosen to stand still... again. Other sides will drop points but we will drop more, we've had to tighten up there's no way round that but we don't look like we can score. Shit season.

Feels like we thrown the towel in unless and I’m clutching straws here we got something big lined up this summer 

9 hours ago, No2 said:

I think 4th is still possible, Guimeres is now out of our game, win at Newcastle and we will catch them. We've been quite lucky in recent weeks, Toney, Trossard and Caicedo have missed our games, the wolves goal ruled out, marginal offsides going in our favour. 

Although we have been lucky with players being out, we still lost all those games! 

I will accept a large part of my frustration has come from the contempt that Athletic article treated supporters with. I was disappoint with what I assume we’d do in this window (ie nothing after Gakpo) but to blame electrical and match day travel costs just insults our fan base intelligence. 

Normally, I’m as optimistic as they come, I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I just don’t see it is getting Top 4. I think we have more chance of winning the CL and even though I’ve seen worse sides than this win the CL, I don’t see that happening either.

You can count on one hand the amount of times we’ve played well this season.

I can accept not playing well, it happens. Towards the end of the COVID19 season, we weren’t playing well but we got results by wanting it and sheer force of will. 

I’ve said multiple times, we’ve not looked up for the fight all season. Other teams are hungrier and we’ve been unable to match it.

Klopp commented this weekend players didn’t look arsed going out the FA Cup. 

Regardless of how we’re playing, we don’t want it enough and haven’t since the first kick of the season.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong, I don’t see us sticking a great league or CL run together. 

Yes, we’ve been unlucky with injuries. We’ve changed formations, we’ve changed personnel, we’ve had a second pre-season, we’ve had mostly free weeks this year (and will continue until Madrid) to work it out on the training ground and we’ve seen, at best, minimal improvements. 

Some feels badly off. Whatever Klopp is trying at the moment isn’t getting the expected results.

I’m not saying we should be buying Bellingham or Fernandez this window, I’m hugely frustrated that we couldn’t even get somebody on loan or somebody coming to the end of their contract to tie us over until the summer. The mancs started looking yesterday morning and had somebody signed by yesterday evening!

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

£106 million for Enzo Fernandez has to be up there with the stupidest transfers of all time.

He cost £9 million a whole 6 months ago.

Some of the transfer fees being paid by Chelsea and Man City are pure dick-swinging, and nothing to do with the value of the player.