You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

I'm surprised we're not looking to move Ox on today. He's barely going to get a kick between now and May, so why let him run his contract down?

It's not much but the 5m quid we'd get for him will help when we're out of the Champions League money next year. 

it would at least pay for the leccy for a few weeks

3 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Jorginho's a very good last minute acquisition for Arsenal at £12m. He won't be winning any sprints, but he's a decent midfielder. He'd improve us, but then I probably would at the moment too. 

If our problem's are almost universally being described as a midfield that is too old and too slow how would he improve us?

Like the Sabitzer shout (or the often touted anyone is better than no one), if people want a signing for the sake of a signing then by all means get annoyed about it, but if not you should be annoyed at not getting the right players not any players.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

I'm surprised we're not looking to move Ox on today. He's barely going to get a kick between now and May, so why let him run his contract down?

It's not much but the 5m quid we'd get for him will help when we're out of the Champions League money next year. 

Because the only player we could sign is an equivalent HG player or nothing. Unless we could sign Bellingham or Mount (no) or Gallagher (no) then why leave yourself a further player short?

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

If our problem's are almost universally being described as a midfield that is too old and too slow how would he improve us?

Like the Sabitzer shout (or the often touted anyone is better than no one), if people want a signing for the sake of a signing then by all means get annoyed about it, but if not you should be annoyed at not getting the right players not any players.

I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed. More resigned at this stage. The absence of incisive passing is as big an issue as movement for me in terms of our midfield, so he'd improve us slightly I reckon. I'm not threatening to self-immolate outside Anfield over it or anything, I just think he's a good signing for Arsenal. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

I'm not in the slightest bit annoyed. More resigned at this stage. The absence of incisive passing is as big an issue as movement for me in terms of our midfield, so he'd improve us slightly I reckon. I'm not threatening to self-immolate outside Anfield over it or anything, I just think he's a good signing for Arsenal. 

The annoyed comments were more a general comment rather than aimed directly at you.

I can understand FSG doing the absolute minimum as it couldn't have worked any better for them with Jurgen keeping the trophies and CL monies rolling in at limited expense, but I do question Jurgen in all this. Fair enough when the sale of the likes of Coutinho allowed us to buy a few top-rankers, but for a guy who preaches 'marginal gains', to act as a human shield for their miserliness seems odd, if not a bit masochistic.

51 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I think the issue is that we know what we have doesn't work, so we are effectively writing off this season by doing nothing.

We've made a decision to do nothing rather than even try and fix the problem.