You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I heard someone saying that his ancestors came from Ireland and emigrated during the famine, so they were illiterate and unsure how to spell their name. Heard once that there is 1-2 million people of Irish descent living in Argentina which is a bit mad - Di Steffano had an Irish granny. Welsh speaking areas there too - a Welsh lad told me Batistuta could speak Welsh.

Really like Mac Callister. Very good player. De Paul is class too.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/dublin/welcome-to-little-argentina-relatives-of-midfielder-alexis-mac-allister-celebrate-world-cup-win-in-north-dublin-42228466.html

12 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Can't believe he has a brother called Kevin Mac Allister. 

He's got a brother called Kevin
He's sure to go to heaven
Always spotless, clean and neat
As smooth as you'll get 'em
He's got a fur lined sheepskin jacket
His ma said they cost a packet
But she won't even let him explain
That him and Kevin are just not the same

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Can anything happen this side of New Year?

Technically yes, I think people may be getting ahead of themselves though. There's no benefit to the likes of Dortmund or Benfica* (assuming those are the players people have in mind) to agree a deal early for a summer move OR agree a January move.

Both clubs are fighting for the CL or a Title and it's massively in their interest to drag it out so more and more clubs get involved.

*only way to bypass Benfica would be to pay a release clause.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Still lots of Bellingham and Fernandes.

Doubt anything will happen this side of Christmas, maybe even the New Year. 

The only way I can see us signing Fernandez in Jan is if someone else looks to pay the release clause. With him being so  highly in demand I could see other clubs being prepared to pay it. 

If we did meet his release clause I would think it would be a sign super wealthy owners are imminent. 

Does anyone really think we’re going to sign anyone in January?

We’re obviously trying for Bellingham, he’ll probably not move until the summer and will cost £100 million.

So there’s no way we’re spending big on anyone if we are seriously interested and think there’s a chance.

And of course we’ve seen this scenario a few times before.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Mook said:

Too late to sign Fernandez, his value has shout up £90m on the back of a handful of games in the last month, fuck that sideways.

I was listening to the redmen podcast and they where saying both utd and wolves agreed fees for him during the summer, but Fernandez would only sign for someone if they agreed to loan him back to river plate until they got knocked out of the copa libertadores. 

Seeing as river plate where fancied to go deep in the tournament, that was expected to be around October/November. 

The only club to agree to his request was benfica, they signed him, immediately loaned him back to river plate, then low and behold, river plate got knocked out in the first round and fernandez ends up in benfica in August. 

I'd like to sign the lad just to piss utd off if I'm honest. 

• Upvote 1

On 19/12/2022 at 07:17, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Maybe buying these players before other lesser PL might come in handy, silly I know.

Keep hearing on podcasts that clubs don't want to take the risk on unproven players want to see them ply their trade at a decent level in Europe first. I cant help but think its the dumbest shit I've heard. Hardly seems a risk paying 12 million for someone because you know the talent is there but your not sure rather than waiting and paying 80 to 100 million quid and 200 grand a week because clubs like Benfica take the risk. You'd nearly always get your money back anyway. We don't want to take the risk so we will pay 10 times more in a season or two.

• Upvote 1

I’m team ‘sign all the wonder kids from the womb’ but I think our issue is more the risk of putting players into slots they’re not ready for than financial. Obviously it’s an argument that falls apart once you look at our bench and see Ox dabbing away in his slides and 16 year old kids on it but that’s the company line at least.

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Does anyone really think we’re going to sign anyone in January?

We’re obviously trying for Bellingham, he’ll probably not move until the summer and will cost £100 million.

So there’s no way we’re spending big on anyone if we are seriously interested and think there’s a chance.

And of course we’ve seen this scenario a few times before.

I am starting to feel that maybe we actually will.  

It does feel a bit different this year. Apart from Pearce's comment there has not been a lot to say we won't be and usually by now a line is emerging from Jones, Joyce,  Pearce etc collectively that says we wont be. Maybe it will arrive in early Jan. 

Suppose it will come down to their attitude to risk. Maybe the owners think that the Dubai trip will rectify all ills and we sail into the top 4. Maybe they will hedge their bets a bit by allowing us to sign a £50m player to try and help get top 4. 

Surely though any potential buyer/investor is not going to offer the same amount if we don't get CL. Especially if they know they need to compete in a market Vs Newcastle, City etc without CL. 

Best case scenario is everything is already in place and they don't want to further  increase prices in a market inflated by the WC and our clear need for a midfielder by advising we have deep pockets (see Newcastle last season). 

If we agree to pay Fernandez's release clause I would be really confident that is the case. If we make a move for Gvardiol I would be certain that is the case! 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Keep hearing on podcasts that clubs don't want to take the risk on unproven players want to see them ply their trade at a decent level in Europe first. I cant help but think its the dumbest shit I've heard. Hardly seems a risk paying 12 million for someone because you know the talent is there but your not sure rather than waiting and paying 80 to 100 million quid and 200 grand a week because clubs like Benfica take the risk. You'd nearly always get your money back anyway. We don't want to take the risk so we will pay 10 times more in a season or two.

Very much this. It seems ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Agree. I thought one of the big points of a data analytics team was to spot the gems before they cost a fortune.

Maybe (probably isn't) a factor in Ward and Graham going. They are spotting players, advocating we move for them and being told to wait until others are more certain. 

Our alleged pursuit of Fernandez is interesting. In the one situation the fans will now be delighted if Ward and Klopp can convince him to come here on the other hand he will probably cost at least £70m more just 6 months after he was available for £9m. Would be interesting to be on a fly on the wall in the recruitment meetings. You would think either the recruitment team are pissed off for not being able to go for him last summer or the owners are pissed off for us having to spend so much more money. 

Maybe we aren't in for him so no one is bothered!