You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

58 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Unfortunately for him I think it is looking more like people do care what he did as a player and the rest is irrelevant.

I would agree with this view not forgetting the cheats up the road have already paid a fine for abusing FFP and only escaped further punishment on a technicality.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Unfortunately for him I think it is looking more like people do care what he did as a player and the rest is irrelevant.

People have almost forgotten he even played football. If you asked anybody whether they think of him first as a manager or player, they are saying manager. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm sure he's fuming that some people ding the trophies he's won over an arbitrary feeling that he doesn't manage small enough clubs. 

Well I guess neither of us know that answer but maybe there is a clue in the fact that he admitted his frustration that Liverpool trophy wins received more praise than the wins achieved by the oil state XI .

• Upvote 1

Even if we assume they get past Madrid, they’ve had shoe-in finals before where they’ve fucked up.

I don’t know the quality of AC or Inter, but my impression of Italian teams is that they tend, traditionally, to be decent in defence, they know all the dark arts, and because of that their strikers can generally take whatever chances they get efficiently.

This City team rely on Haaland I think it’s fair to say, so it should be less difficult for a good defensive team to try and neutralise the biggest threat and City’s defence is rarely tested in the PL, but have their weaknesses I think.

Plus there’s always Guardiola’s overthinking and fiddling.

Not a given yet by any means.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

He wins trophies and does it in a dominant fashion, that's just the bottom line. What he did as a player is irrelevant and unless he gets stripped of stuff because of the Barca ref or City financial things, no one will care.

I fucking care

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Even if we assume they get past Madrid, they’ve had shoe-in finals before where they’ve fucked up.

I don’t know the quality of AC or Inter, but my impression of Italian teams is that they tend, traditionally, to be decent in defence, they know all the dark arts, and because of that their strikers can generally take whatever chances they get efficiently.

This City team rely on Haaland I think it’s fair to say, so it should be less difficult for a good defensive team to try and neutralise the biggest threat and City’s defence is rarely tested in the PL, but have their weaknesses I think.

Plus there’s always Guardiola’s overthinking and fiddling.

Not a given yet by any means.

I was surprised to see that Bayern had more possession in both games v City and had 31 shots on goal across the two games, but could only score a last minute dodgy penalty. 

It shows again that you can have all the technical players in the world - Mané, Musiala, Müller, Sané, Cancelo, Davies, Coman, Gnabry, etc., if your main striker is a failed Stoke centre forward, you will struggle at the top level.  

Goals change games, but they also change the narrative about games. The overall commentary last night was that City dominated home and away and had too much for Bayern, but if Haaland plays for the Germans, or if Lewandowski still plays for them, it's a totally different tie and story.

If Real get the better of them in the semi-final, wouldn’t it be great if the story is that Pep has abandoned all principles, now plays 4 centre-backs, lets the other team have the ball, while his main tactic is to get the ball to the big grock up front, to score. We can but hope. 

Apparently Chelsea are talking to Pochettino.

While he’s available and a good manager, it just shows what it idiot Boehly is.

Chelsea paid a world record to get Potter out of Brighton in September and then had to pay to sack him in April. 

He could have hired Pochettino, a manager with a better record than Potter, not had to pay a fortune to another club for his services and he’d likely still be the manager now. 

31 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Juventus have had their 15 point deduction overturned 

Seriously, what's the point? You have the likes of Derby County getting deductions and subsequent relegation but the likes of City, Juve and so far even Everton getting charged with rule breaking and false accounting and  all likely get nothing more than a slap on the wrist or a five figure fine.

It will soon be a free for all.