You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brighton (H) - Sat 30th Oct 2021 (3:00pm)

Trumo

38 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Good post

What has happened that people need to eat in the middle of the afternoon and are willing to miss 5 mins of the game for the privilege. 
Don’t get me started on people leaving early 

It's what the owners want. People spending money, better they leave early. Doesn't wear as much on the seats and concrete. Selling Nachos and pinkstraw drinks makes money. Who gives a fuck if people  miss a few minutes. Anfield is a theme park now. And it's run that way too. No new attractions unless it's absolute nescessary, even then lets scrape the barrel and see what's available from some traveling hobo fair. 

1 minute ago, Johnlj said:

It's what the owners want. People spending money, better they leave early. Doesn't wear as much on the seats and concrete. Selling Nachos and pinkstraw drinks makes money. Who gives a fuck if people  miss a few minutes. Anfield is a theme park now. And it's run that way too. No new attractions unless it's absolute nescessary, even then lets scrape the barrel and see what's available from some traveling hobo fair. 

What “new attractions” could you possibly need? It’s a football stadium and it’s one of the very best in the country. 

Calm oneself. 

First, fuck our luck for scoring four but having two chalked off. 

Also fuck our luck for some mad freak of a goal beating Alisson as he's facing the low sun, there's 12 foot shadows being cast towards him it's that low in his eyeline. 

Overall, first half, some great stuff being played.  Brighton were no threat.  

Now, second half they come out and immediately it's a game plan of bombarding TAA's flank with long balls and overloading that space with players to build attacks from there.  And that's when our cracks appear.  

First crack is Konate coming over to help TAA but then often finding he's completely out of position as Brighton quickly win the second balls and chuck it back in that area of confusion.  

Why are they winning the ball back in the middle?  Because a midfield three of Jones/Henderson/Ox just don't have any experience and learned understanding of each others positioning.  

How many minutes have that three played together for LFC in midfield before? 

This becomes the second and biggest crack, as Brighton ride their luck and keep their momentum as our defence and midfield are totally disconnected.  

The tactic of overloading Trent is a recurring theme, it only gets sorted by switching to a back five and letting one of the spare CBs go across. Klopp didn't do that, and so Henderson and Jones were sucked into this vortex with TAA and Konate where nobody quite knew how to break the cycle.  

I thought Ox was decent overall, tbf. 

But yeah, we miss Milner, Thiago, Keita, Fabinho, Elliott, any team would.  But you play to your strengths and right now we have more CBs than CMs, so perhaps now is the time to switch to a 523 where we only need two CM's, until a few injuries clear up. 

• Upvote 1

I am a bit concerned that this is the third, or fourth? two goal lead we've relinquished so far this season. I thought Konate was a bit undisciplined yesterday and left VVD exposed a few times while thinking he was Big Joel going forward with the ball at his feet. I think Matip may be recalled for Wednesday to partner VVD. And although our midfield is pretty exposed with the injury list it's hardly surprising to see Keita go off yet again due to his cheese string body parts. He really does piss you off as a fan. It's unrealistic to expect Curtis Jones to carry the midfield's attacking threat,talented though he is. And as for the Ox,the less said the better.

35 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am a bit concerned that this is the third, or fourth? two goal lead we've relinquished so far this season. I thought Konate was a bit undisciplined yesterday and left VVD exposed a few times while thinking he was Big Joel going forward with the ball at his feet. I think Matip may be recalled for Wednesday to partner VVD. And although our midfield is pretty exposed with the injury list it's hardly surprising to see Keita go off yet again due to his cheese string body parts. He really does piss you off as a fan. It's unrealistic to expect Curtis Jones to carry the midfield's attacking threat,talented though he is. And as for the Ox,the less said the better.

I think we have only given up a 2 goal lead against Brighton and Madrid. Agree with you on Konate being dragged out but that was because they loaded up on Trent. Yesterday I thought Klopp would maybe change things to prevent it . It surprised me that he didn't do that or that he didn't replace Bobby , who misses a sitter at 1 nil, earlier. 

I turned it off just after half-time. A draw or even a loss was written all over it. I can watch if we're playing well, I can watch if we're playing OK. I can't watch that. 

Why anybody has the slightest bit of praise for the utter bag of cack that is Keita, I have no idea. I detest his presence in our squad and I think it reflects poorly on Jurgen. Almost the same for AOC. 

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the Mane handball goal decision. I vaguely recall one angle that showed it might have been his hand, but it could equally have been a shoulder. Certainly all the replayed angles I saw were inconclusive. 

Two fixtures ahead that could easily end up leaving us far more disappointed than this. Especially the West Ham game. 

21 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I turned it off just after half-time. A draw or even a loss was written all over it. I can watch if we're playing well, I can watch if we're playing OK. I can't watch that. 

Why anybody has the slightest bit of praise for the utter bag of cack that is Keita, I have no idea. I detest his presence in our squad and I think it reflects poorly on Jurgen. Almost the same for AOC. 

I'm surprised more hasn't been made of the Mane handball goal decision. I vaguely recall one angle that showed it might have been his hand, but it could equally have been a shoulder. Certainly all the replayed angles I saw were inconclusive. 

Two fixtures ahead that could easily end up leaving us far more disappointed than this. Especially the West Ham game. 

Looked to me like it hit that part of the arm we were told all last season could be offside because you can score with it! 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I think we have only given up a 2 goal lead against Brighton and Madrid. Agree with you on Konate being dragged out but that was because they loaded up on Trent. Yesterday I thought Klopp would maybe change things to prevent it . It surprised me that he didn't do that or that he didn't replace Bobby , who misses a sitter at 1 nil, earlier. 

We also did it at home to AC Milan,or was it only a one goal lead then? My memory is crap.

4 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Thanks @Caramac. I'm almost none the wiser. And @aws adds grist to my mill. That's never a penalty if it's one of their players and there's no hint of deliberate. Or hand. Upper arm at worst. Remind me, who was on VAR?

I think that has to be disallowed, and Mane’s response to ii when it was says it all. He smiled and patted his arm.

If it hadn’t hit his arm it’s going away from goal. Cant give that.

• Upvote 2

Bobby has been stinking the place out for over two years except for a very few games and i find it strange that Klopp thinks that its allright. It feels like Jota scores every game that he starts but he cant get much more then 10min sub when Bobby is fit, its a strange way to fuck with the subs that no matter how good you are, your not starting unless the one your competing with is injured, no matter the form. Same can be said about Robertson lately. The midfield really need a new player 1 january and selling keita and oxlade would not impact the team one bit.

The midfield is fucked. Has been all season. Clear as day. We will run over a lot of disorganised sides but come up against a decent technical team who can pass the ball and we will struggle mightily. We won’t win the league or EC because of it.

19 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

The midfield is fucked. Has been all season. Clear as day. We will run over a lot of disorganised sides but come up against a decent technical team who can pass the ball and we will struggle mightily. We won’t win the league or EC because of it.

Fabinho, Harvey and Thiago make those problems go away.  Just got to get them fit and keep them fit.

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Fabinho, Harvey and Thiago make those problems go away.  Just got to get them fit and keep them fit.

Which won't happen unfortunately, at least not at the consistency needed to win the league.

1 minute ago, Alex_K said:

Which won't happen unfortunately, at least not at the consistency needed to win the league.

doesn't look like, but that's the quality we need - not watching Jones continue to underperform and Henderson being clueless and letting other midfielders walk past him.  I do have hopes for Jones, but the longer his underperformance goes on, the more you have to accept, that like Henderson and Firmino, it's not going to get better, and they're just not good enough for a team that can no longer afford passengers.