You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

3 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Good post.

I still think there's a decent chance we'll look to make a major move, sell one of the front three and bring in a big-money replacement, but with the pandemic changing everyone's finances I think this summer is a giant crapshoot so who knows?

The reason I think this is because I don't think there's any way that Edwards will want to be going into next summer with all three of our front players on the decline, both in terms of value and ability, all at the same time. Moving one of them on this summer (Salah, most likely?) would bring in 100m+ and allow us to get a player of similar potential who is much younger, which would give us flexibility to phase the other two out. I'm thinking Sancho would be the most likely choice, given Dortmund's finances looking even worse than ours.

But all of this is pure speculation, and you've done a good job of analysing the potential ins and outs if it's more of a tame summer.

The problem we've got with selling one of the front 3 is firmino has been playing crap for 18 months, so we'll get fuck all for him and he's the one who needs replacing. And I don't think anyone will pay anything like what fsg would want for mane and Salah. And honestly, where are the goals coming from if we sell Salah? He's the only one who score. 

7 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The problem we've got with selling one of the front 3 is firmino has been playing crap for 18 months, so we'll get fuck all for him and he's the one who needs replacing. And I don't think anyone will pay anything like what fsg would want for mane and Salah. And honestly, where are the goals coming from if we sell Salah? He's the only one who score. 

We don’t need to replace them. We need someone who could challenge them. Someone not unlike Diogo Jota. I think Patrick Bamford fits the bill. He offers something different to them in that he’s a proper number 9. However, he’s equally comfortable dropping into pockets to link up the play. 

34 minutes ago, aRdja said:

We don’t need to replace them. We need someone who could challenge them. Someone not unlike Diogo Jota. I think Patrick Bamford fits the bill. He offers something different to them in that he’s a proper number 9. However, he’s equally comfortable dropping into pockets to link up the play. 

The premise of the previous post is we'd have been flogging one of the front 3 to fund any new signing. Which pretty much ensures the departing player needs to be replaced. How are you planning on funding Bamford (who by the way is fucking shit, but that's a different discussion)? 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The premise of the previous post is we'd have been flogging one of the front 3 to fund any new signing. Which pretty much ensures the departing player needs to be replaced. How are you planning on funding Bamford (who by the way is fucking shit, but that's a different discussion)? 

He has one year left in his contract come this summer. He’s a lovely footballer IMO, not the typical English target man. Watch him closely. I posted a good article on him in the Bobby thread.

37 minutes ago, aRdja said:

He has one year left in his contract come this summer. He’s a lovely footballer IMO, not the typical English target man. Watch him closely. I posted a good article on him in the Bobby thread.

I'm still not sure how we finance him in the summer even if he only has 12 months left. As an example chamberlain cost us 35m with a year left on his deal, I don't see us getting him for less than that and I don't see us buying anyone who's not funded from sales. 

43 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm still not sure how we finance him in the summer even if he only has 12 months left. As an example chamberlain cost us 35m with a year left on his deal, I don't see us getting him for less than that and I don't see us buying anyone who's not funded from sales. 

Doesn’t have to be like for like. We could afford a £35m purchase. There will be departures e.g., Keita, Origi, Taki. We bought Thiago and Jota without selling anyone big last summer.

2 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Doesn’t have to be like for like. We could afford a £35m purchase. There will be departures. We bought Thiago and Jota without selling anyone big.

Thiago was funded by selling Brewster. His wages provided by releasing lallana. Jota's wages were funded by releasing clyne's wages, his transfer funded in part by selling hoever, ejaria etc. We've spent less than 10m since winning the champions League. Of course transfers need to be funded like that, it's the way the club operates. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Thiago was funded by selling Brewster. His wages provided by releasing lallana. Jota's wages were funded by releasing clyne's wages, his transfer funded in part by selling hoever, ejaria etc. We've spent less than 10m since winning the champions League. Of course transfers need to be funded like that, it's the way the club operates. 

We could easily afford Bamford without selling our starting players. Some of the aforementioned fringe players will leave, that would help. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Can you let fsg know then? Well you can leave out the Bamford bit and replace him with a footballer. 

You speculated that Jota was funded by proceeds from sale of some fringe players. There’s no reason we couldn’t do it again with Bamford? Unless you know something we don’t know from your source inside the club that is.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

You speculated that Jota was funded by proceeds from sale of some fringe players. There’s no reason we couldn’t do it again with Bamford? Unless you know something we don’t know from your source inside the club that is.

Because the cupboard is bare. Nobody wants our shite and the price we want. It's why Wilson, Origi and Grujic are still Liverpool players. We'll sell Ben Davies for about 5m and that'll be it.  

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

Because the cupboard is bare. Nobody wants our shite and the price we want. It's why Wilson, Origi and Grujic are still Liverpool players. We'll sell Ben Davies for about 5m and that'll be it.  

We should be able to flog Keita, Shaq and Taki quite easily. They’re far superior footballers compared to Hoever or Ejaria afterall... those we sold to purchase Jota in your scenario.

Just now, aRdja said:

We should be able to flog Keita, Shaq and Taki quite easily. They’re far superior footballers compared to Hoever or Ejaria afterall... those we sold to purchase Jota in your scenario.

I don't think anyone will touch Shaq or Keita unless we let them go for next to nothing. We might get a few quid for Minamino if klopp is prepared to sacrifice him. He's allowed him to go now to allow kabak to join. 

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think anyone will touch Shaq or Keita unless we let them go for next to nothing. We might get a few quid for Minamino if klopp is prepared to sacrifice him. He's allowed him to go now to allow kabak to join. 

Keita was a huge hit in Bundesliga. He’ll go for £20m at least. Shaqiri won’t go for much lower than that. We sold Dom Solanke for £17m afterall. I honestly don’t think you should be too worried about the club not being able to afford Bamford.

Does someone like Mane even have a market anymore? He'll be 29 coming off a disappointing season goals wise. The irony is we've been scared to lose these players the whole time, but in these pandemic times I don't even know if we could sell someone like him even if we wanted to. 

And if we sell one of the front 3, he should be the one because Salah just scores too many goals, Firmino probably has even less of a market and we've already got Jota who is a direct replacement on the left wing. 

8 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Keita was a huge hit in Bundesliga. He’ll go for £20m at least. Shaqiri won’t go for much lower than that. We sold Dom Solanke for £17m afterall. I honestly don’t think you should be too worried about the club not being able to afford Bamford.

Neither of them are ever fit. And we got the solanke money before covid. 

We will want more than 20m for keita too. 

A year ago we had the best goalkeeper in the world, the best LB, RB, CB and DM in the world, and not least the best attack in the world. In addition we had Henderson which was one of the best players in the league. At least according to some on here, partly including myself in that. 

12 months later, with all the above players still at the club, we need a complete rebuild and also no other clubs would take players off.

The more balanced view is somewhere in between obviously, and the main difference between our team now and 12 months ago definately isn’t down to the quality of our squad.

1 minute ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

A year ago we had the best goalkeeper in the world, the best LB, RB, CB and DM in the world, and not least the best attack in the world. In addition we had Henderson which was one of the best players in the league. At least according to some on here, partly including myself in that. 

12 months later, with all the above players still at the club, we need a complete rebuild and also no other clubs would take players off.

The more balanced view is somewhere in between obviously, and the main difference between our team now and 12 months ago definately isn’t down to the quality of our squad.

It is exactly down to the quality of the squad. When fit, we've got a great XI. There's not much of a squad though.