You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

A year ago we had the best goalkeeper in the world, the best LB, RB, CB and DM in the world, and not least the best attack in the world. In addition we had Henderson which was one of the best players in the league. At least according to some on here, partly including myself in that. 

12 months later, with all the above players still at the club, we need a complete rebuild and also no other clubs would take players off.

The more balanced view is somewhere in between obviously, and the main difference between our team now and 12 months ago definately isn’t down to the quality of our squad.

I think we know there likely won't be a big rebuild. The far more "sensible" (lazy) thing, which the club will likely do is pretend this season is an aberration and try to bring essentially the same team back (because spending will be down because of the pandemic and it will be tough to sell anybody) citing we need to stay the course and not panic, despite the fact we've been dog crap for about a full year now.

12 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don't think Lamptey would come here as a back up player. Part of the reason he moved to Brighton was to play week in week out. 

James Justin has been really good this season. He's just done his ACL though, so probably one to avoid!

Maitland-Niles would be my choice. He’s as comfortable on the left as he is on the right.

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think we know there likely won't be a big rebuild. The far more "sensible" (lazy) thing, which the club will likely do is pretend this season is an aberration and try to bring essentially the same team back (because spending will be down because of the pandemic and it will be tough to sell anybody) citing we need to stay the course and not panic, despite the fact we've been dog crap for about a full year now.

The club isn’t likely to start a rebuild, I think everyone on here more or less will agree upon that.

In my opinion a rebuild isn’t required either. We need to keep strengthening the team, long term and short term. Like we did last summer with Jota, Thiago and Tsimikas, the latter strengthening the squad mainly.

We need to do the same this summer, and at some stage I agree we need to start looking at a few of the established players, specifically in attack. A top class attacking player, able to play centrally and challenge/replace Bobby as first choice is a priority. 

A complete rebuild is far from what we need imo.

Just now, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

The club isn’t likely to start a rebuild, I think everyone on here more or less will agree upon that.

In my opinion a rebuild isn’t required either. We need to keep strengthening the team, long term and short term. Like we did last summer with Jota, Thiago and Tsimikas, the latter strengthening the squad mainly.

We need to do the same this summer, and at some stage I agree we need to start looking at a few of the established players, specifically in attack. A top class attacking player, able to play centrally and challenge/replace Bobby as first choice is a priority. 

A complete rebuild is far from what we need imo.

It depends what your definition of rebuild is. Given all of Mane, Firmino and Salah don't have much time left on their deals, Gini seems certain to go and we have a collection of players in the squad like Chamberlain, Keita, Matip, Gomez and Shaqiri who are all completely unreliable, we really do need to think about resolving some of these situations.

Will we give new deals to Salah, Mane and Firmino? Doubtful, so we should probably sell one of them soon. Should we keep all of Keita, Matip and Oxlade and cross our fingers they can start tangibly contributing to winning? Probably not, we should try to sell some of these. 

In sum, I just think we are prime for some kind of big squad turnover. It just makes sense, but will it happen? Almost certainly not. 

There is quite a lot we need to do this summer to get back on track. Whether the tight cunt owners have the appetite to do it is another matter. 

We have to have one of Davies or Kabak is of suitable quality, I have my doubts. We obviously need a replacement for Gini. I think Klopp has given up on Ox, so I can see him leaving and possibly Milner too.  I’d bin Keita as well personally, completely fed up of his lack of availability, lovely player when fit but that’s almost never, similar story with Matip. Then Origi and miniamino need binning and for me Firmino needs to become a bench player or moved out altogether.

A lot of work there.

Everyone knows who needs to go, everyone knows we'll need to sell to buy, everyone knows where we need to strengthen, and everyone knows none of it's actually going to happen.

Unless Poch convinces PSG he needs a forward player who presses a lot, doesn't mind playing for the team instead of himself, and hasn't noticed Firmino is shit now.

16 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Maitland-Niles would be my choice. He’s as comfortable on the left as he is on the right.

He’d be a decent Milner replacement, a downgrade but decent enough and he’d get plenty of games. 

Realistically we need at least three players, a first choice CB, a first choice centre forward and a player who does the job Keita is meant to do. If we can swap out a couple of squad dud’s then great but we all know that that’s not going to be easy in the 2021 financial climate when those players are on 2018/19 money.

I think Klopp will definitely address the centre backs issue but knowing our luck he’ll grow fond of Kabak and he’ll be our new Lovren. He’ll probably fancy Elliot or Jones to be the player to carry the ball forward between midfield and attack so he won’t go big there plus Keita will be unflushable. As for the centre forward, he wanted Werner so I’m confident he wants a more conventional option for that middle slot and it’d make sense with signing Thiago and having full backs who whip 300 crosses in a game. How many tall, physical, quick hardworking forwards not called Erling are out there? 

12 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

He’d be a decent Milner replacement, a downgrade but decent enough and he’d get plenty of games. 

Realistically we need at least three players, a first choice CB, a first choice centre forward and a player who does the job Keita is meant to do. If we can swap out a couple of squad dud’s then great but we all know that that’s not going to be easy in the 2021 financial climate when those players are on 2018/19 money.

I think Klopp will definitely address the centre backs issue but knowing our luck he’ll grow fond of Kabak and he’ll be our new Lovren. He’ll probably fancy Elliot or Jones to be the player to carry the ball forward between midfield and attack so he won’t go big there plus Keita will be unflushable. As for the centre forward, he wanted Werner so I’m confident he wants a more conventional option for that middle slot and it’d make sense with signing Thiago and having full backs who whip 300 crosses in a game. How many tall, physical, quick hardworking forwards not called Erling are out there? 

Werner's not really a conventional centre forward. He'd have played mostly on the wing here. 

• Upvote 2

Do we have any midfielders who burst into the box, ahead of the strikers?

Gini occasionally, maybe Ox and Keita once in a blue moon but it's really hampering us imo.

Whether it's because we lack that type of player or simply by design, the system Jürgen employs, our front 3 either have to do it themselves or be wholly dependant upon our fullbacks feeding them chances.

We've been crying out for midfield creativity and goals for a long time imo, I think we'd really benefit and be much more multu-dimensional if we address this in the summer with a few quality additions.

4 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Do we have any midfielders who burst into the box, ahead of the strikers?

Gini occasionally, maybe Ox and Keita once in a blue moon but it's really hampering us imo.

Whether it's because we lack that type of player or simply by design, the system Jürgen employs, our front 3 either have to do it themselves or be wholly dependant upon our fullbacks feeding them chances.

We've been crying out for midfield creativity and goals for a long time imo, I think we'd really benefit and be much more multu-dimensional if we address this in the summer with a few quality additions.

Jones can do it, should be asked to.

• Upvote 1

I'm watching Lille - Brest and the Canal + Sport reporter just said that Sven Botman, who isn't in the Lille squad, will be sold to quote: "a big English club for 45m". And then the match commentator said: "I think it's Liverpool as there was interest in January". Grain of salt, but it's interesting. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Jones can do it, should be asked to.

Really disappointed at this aspect of his game to be honest. When he broke through he looked fearless, wildly inconsistent but always proactive in his play. He really plays within himself at the moment and I’m sure it’s by design. I get the feeling Klopp would rather he got the bread and butter down first which makes sense but I hope it’s not to the detriment of that other side of his game.

Shame he couldn’t be tearing up the championship with Elliot then bouncing back here full of confidence.

6 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Really disappointed at this aspect of his game to be honest. When he broke through he looked fearless, wildly inconsistent but always proactive in his play. He really plays within himself at the moment and I’m sure it’s by design. I get the feeling Klopp would rather he got the bread and butter down first which makes sense but I hope it’s not to the detriment of that other side of his game.

Shame he couldn’t be tearing up the championship with Elliot then bouncing back here full of confidence.

He’s been our best player the last 2 games and then been dragged off while our bulletproof bums been phoning it in. 

17 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Playing his natural game he can do it, but he has as you say obviously playing to instruction. He is a talented lad and will be a player for us.

52 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I'm watching Lille - Brest and the Canal + Sport reporter just said that Sven Botman, who isn't in the Lille squad, will be sold to quote: "a big English club for 45m". And then the match commentator said: "I think it's Liverpool as there was interest in January". Grain of salt, but it's interesting. 

He looks brilliant that lad. 

In fairness, we get to see if Kabak can cut it. If he can't, at least we aren't left with him.

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think anyone will touch Shaq or Keita unless we let them go for next to nothing. We might get a few quid for Minamino if klopp is prepared to sacrifice him. He's allowed him to go now to allow kabak to join. 

Yes, Southampton might pay a few quid, and maybe let Ward-Prowse go in the opposite direction.

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

id sign him in a heartbeat reminds me alot of Hyypia 

3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Why would we pay a huge fee for him in the summer when all three of our centrebacks will be back by then? If we were going to get him we should have done it in January.

Also I fail to see how he's gone from a 7 million Euro player to 45 million one, on the back of half a season in the French League?

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Why would we pay a huge fee for him in the summer when all three of our centrebacks will be back by then? If we were going to get him we should have done it in January.

Also I fail to see how he's gone from a 7 million Euro player to 45 million one, on the back of half a season in the French League?

I'm just relaying what was said during the game, I don't know what the logic of it would be for us. By the way, Liverpool was mentioned only as a guess as to where he would end up by the match commentator after the report. What the reporter said was basically : "Botman is not in the squad as there is negotiation for him with a big English club". The report was vague.  

As for the second part, he's been very good and values rise very quickly, I guess.

6 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

It depends what your definition of rebuild is. Given all of Mane, Firmino and Salah don't have much time left on their deals, Gini seems certain to go and we have a collection of players in the squad like Chamberlain, Keita, Matip, Gomez and Shaqiri who are all completely unreliable, we really do need to think about resolving some of these situations.

Will we give new deals to Salah, Mane and Firmino? Doubtful, so we should probably sell one of them soon. Should we keep all of Keita, Matip and Oxlade and cross our fingers they can start tangibly contributing to winning? Probably not, we should try to sell some of these. 

In sum, I just think we are prime for some kind of big squad turnover. It just makes sense, but will it happen? Almost certainly not

And neither should it , don't you remember Souness coming in with sweeping changes and achieving the square root of fuck all?