You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2021 transfer thread.

manwiththestick

1 hour ago, Doctor Troy said:

Burnley signing players can make Liverpool millions..

I have watched quite a bit of football this weekend and motd too. I genuinely find it astonishing there aren't PL clubs in for Shaq, Origi and Phillips when you look at some of the quality in other teams. For instance, Palace alone would be massively improved by the 3 of them. That's before you look at the promoted teams, Brighton, Burnley, west ham etc who would benefit from at least one of them. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I have watched quite a bit of football this weekend and motd too. I genuinely find it astonishing there aren't PL clubs in for Shaq, Origi and Phillips when you look at some of the quality in other teams. For instance, Palace alone would be massively improved by the 3 of them. That's before you look at the promoted teams, Brighton, Burnley, west ham etc who would benefit from at least one of them. 

Probably wages is the big problem for Shaq and Div plus they might be picky as  to where they'll go. But I agree that any of them could improve some Prem clubs.  Maybe most of the clubs are holding out for last-minute bargains/ loans. 

21 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Arsenal actively looking to offload their Captain -- again.

So he can be replaced by their ex Captain that they tried to bomb out a couple years ago that no one wanted.

Starts at the top for them, always has.

Link?

4 minutes ago, aws said:

Probably wages is the big problem for Shaq and Div plus they might be picky as  to where they'll go. But I agree that any of them could improve some Prem clubs.  Maybe most of the clubs are holding out for last-minute bargains/ loans. 

Do either of them earn that much? Shaq was reported to have agreed 70k euros at Lyon wasn't he? According to sportrac, origi is on similar. And Phillips supposedly is pretty much on reserves money. 

20 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do either of them earn that much? Shaq was reported to have agreed 70k euros at Lyon wasn't he? According to sportrac, origi is on similar. And Phillips supposedly is pretty much on reserves money. 

As we're supposed to be paying our third choice keeper 60k a week I assume we must be paying Shaq and Div a bit more than that which would probably make them one of the top earners at a lot of Prem teams. Like you, I'm amazed that teams aren't queuing up for Nat because his wages can't be an issue. My bet is that Shaq and Nat will go at the end of the window and Div at the end of his contract. 

Thought this was a bit insightful. Not saying it has the answer but probably along the right lines.

It may not come as any consolation to Harry Kane but he is far from the only player who has found themselves unable to move clubs in this pandemic-affected transfer market. 

In fact, as starting line-ups go, one thrown together by the players in limbo would look like a match for most Premier League teams. Given the numbers caught in this holding pattern as they look for a new club, there would actually be a healthy squad to choose from.

This is the reality of a summer transfer window that has arrived with clubs facing huge holes in their accounts after losing out on up to £10million per home game during the past 18 months with caution the watchword for many.

Money has still been spent but we have had a surfeit of big deals with relatively few in the £10m-£30m that keeps the market bubbling over. The result is the top-flight season starting this weekend with many players stuck where they are, with clubs in Europe - aside from Paris Saint-Germain - in a worse financial position and English chief executives thinking long and hard before agreeing deals to cover the costs of pre-coronavirus contracts.

Talks among the leading agents in the Premier League has included a suggestion that the 25-player squad for Premier League clubs should be scrapped, offering a way back for outcasts should injuries occur. As it stands there will be a scramble to broker deals for players who would like a new club.

At the top end of the market, Pep Guardiola took the unusual step of revealing that Bernardo Silva wanted to leave the club when he spoke ahead of the Community Shield. In the brutal reality of life at Manchester City, Bernardo is not in the first-team plans but has nowhere to go. 

It will come as no consolation to Bernardo that Mauricio Pochettino rates him as one of the best players in the Premier League. Pochettino now has Lionel Messi and has no room for Bernardo or Paul Pogba. For Bernardo to get his wish for a fresh challenge, he will need to find a team willing to invest £60m to £70m before they talk about matching his lucrative contract at the Etihad Stadium.

If he leaves then a deal for Kane becomes far more doable for City, but at the moment the log-jam ensures the England captain is still a Tottenham player. 

Hector Bellerin would also look at a move away from the Premier League but his suitors would ideally like an initial loan while Arsenal would like a transfer fee, so any deal will involve hard negotiating to find a common ground.

Arsenal do not only have Bellerin as an asset trickier to shift than expected. Sead Kolasinac will need his £100,000-a-week contract subsidised by the club or covered completely for another move following his loan to Schalke last season when he was relegated from Bundesliga.

“Football is bust. European clubs are broke,” is a familiar soundbite from football agents lamenting one of the trickiest windows. The Premier League record signing was broken when City spent £100m on Jack Grealish and the majority of the money has stayed in England. But the £73m Manchester United spent on Jadon Sancho has left for Germany and is likely to be spent elsewhere.

Getting from the Premier League to a European club is a harder task than previous seasons. Andreas Pereira returning to Lazio after his successful loan sounds easy enough but the Italian club have budget concerns, which has brought Fenerbahce into the frame. 

There will be a raft of eye-catching loans being proposed next week. A cursory look at the players available shows Divock Origi, scorer of the goal that clinched Liverpool the Champions League two years ago. Ross Barkley, Tiemoue Bakayoko, Danny Drinkwater and Davide Zappacosta are available just from Chelsea, while Tanguy Ndombele being dropped from Tottenham’s pre-season match at the weekend will have been noted by European teams.

Free transfers have also been caught in limbo as clubs carefully assess whether they need to invest in an out-of-contract player. 

David Luiz is available for no fee but would he fit into a club who need a centre-back like Leicester? World Cup winners in Shkodran Mustafi and Jerome Boateng are also available as free agents and will be among the centre-backs looking at Real Madrid and what they will do to fill the Sergio Ramos-sized hole on their defence.

Among ex-England players there is Jack Wilshere and Daniel Sturridge currently unattached, while former Spain striker Diego Costa, at 32, would still send the fear into opposition defenders. Wilfried Bony, also 32, has been training at Newport County again to keep fit and be ready for his next club.

The free transfers have time on their side as they can sign out-of-window. For those in limbo and out of the manager’s plans, there is less than three weeks to find a club.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/15/harry-kane-not-alone-pandemic-means-dozens-players-stuck-clubs/

37 minutes ago, Code said:

Link?

This is from 90Min, Neville mentioned it on the telly as well yesterday:

It is The Times that reports there has been concern over Aubameyang. His pre-season was considered underwhelming and more generally there are worries over his form since signing his lucrative new contract last September.

Already keen to sell Lacazette instead of offering the Frenchman a new contract, as 90min revealed in April, Arsenal are now said to be ready to listen to offers for Aubameyang as well. The Gunners want a new striker instead and are trying to agree a deal with Chelsea for Tammy Abraham.

This is not the first time that Arsenal have had doubts about Aubameyang as they had considered trying to sell him last summer before ultimately offering him his new contract.

I'm sure no one is fooled by a functional 3-0 win against a newly promoted team anyway, but we really do need another midfielder.  The midfield choices we have currently will not see us in good stead this season, I'm convinced of it.  It won't be long until we're bemoaning our "luck" with injuries but it won't be bad luck, it's entirely forseeable.

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm sure no one is fooled by a functional 3-0 win against a newly promoted team anyway, but we really do need another midfielder.  The midfield choices we have currently will not see us in good stead this season, I'm convinced of it.  It won't be long until we're bemoaning our "luck" with injuries but it won't be bad luck, it's entirely forseeable.

Mate, those were are 5th, 6th and 7th choice central midfielders. And we won nice and easy 3-0. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Mate, those were are 5th, 6th and 7th choice central midfielders. And we won nice and easy 3-0. 

So you think yesterday's result demonstrates that they are able replacements for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice midfielders (who are the 4)?

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

So you think yesterday's result demonstrates that they are able replacements for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th choice midfielders (who are the 4)?

Yeah, of course, considering it is going to be exceedingly rare that we are without all the other midfielders all at the same time, and we won 3-0 away.

The first choice midfield is Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo. Curtis is first off the bench.

40 minutes ago, aws said:

As we're supposed to be paying our third choice keeper 60k a week I assume we must be paying Shaq and Div a bit more than that which would probably make them one of the top earners at a lot of Prem teams. Like you, I'm amazed that teams aren't queuing up for Nat because his wages can't be an issue. My bet is that Shaq and Nat will go at the end of the window and Div at the end of his contract. 

This place seems to he regarded as the most accurate for tracking salaries. It does have div on 60k and Adrian too. It has shaq on 80k, but apparently he agreed 70k euros at Lyon, maybe we have to pay him off a bit or that's his sacrifice to play? 

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/liverpool-fc/payroll/

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah, of course, considering it is going to be exceedingly rare that we are without all the other midfielders all at the same time, and we won 3-0 away.

The first choice midfield is Fabinho, Thiago, Hendo. Curtis is first off the bench.

Thought so.  

I don't think relying on an injury prone Hendo, and a very very unproven youngster is a good idea.  Even if you think that Thiago will be more than alright, putting in anything like Wijnaldum numbers and performances (I don't), we're still a player short imo.