You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election 2020 Thread

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

I've liked his videos against Trump but a woman has just got shot in the neck, she's now dead.

She's right wing though so maybe not too much of a fuss. Fuck the capitol and the shite those that are usually in it have inflicted on US people and the world for decades on end. It's a bad day for the woman that's dead, her friends and family, and also a bad day for blue maga I guess.

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Firstly make them liable for any misinformation or defamation they publish. Ofcom and press regulation does it with regular media. If you were a paper and ran a letter stating that Trump was fighting a cabal of satanic pedophiles led by the Clintons, you could expect some solicitors letters. 

Check out that documentary I mentioned, the social dilemma. It's not the platforms that are the problem as such, it's the way the algorithms pester you for clicks. Basically they try to suss out what makes you engage and then they hammer you with it. So if you watch a conspiracy vid, you get more and more. Twitter is also designed around engagement and engagement tends to be negative, people reacting angrily or abusing people for instance on twitter. It's clickbait that works by prodding your baser instincts.

It's a huge issue.

The platforms can't possibly be responsible for what bellends post. Punish the bellends. 

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

The platforms can't possibly be responsible for what bellends post. Punish the bellends. 

Of course they can, that's why websites have mods. If this stuff was being peddled on here Dave would have to answer for it alongside the person posting it. 

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Firstly make them liable for any misinformation or defamation they publish. Ofcom and press regulation does it with regular media. If you were a paper and ran a letter stating that Trump was fighting a cabal of satanic pedophiles led by the Clintons, you could expect some solicitors letters. 

Check out that documentary I mentioned, the social dilemma. It's not the platforms that are the problem as such, it's the way the algorithms pester you for clicks. Basically they try to suss out what makes you engage and then they hammer you with it. So if you watch a conspiracy vid, you get more and more. Twitter is also designed around engagement and engagement tends to be negative, people reacting angrily or abusing people for instance on twitter. It's clickbait that works by prodding your baser instincts.

It's a huge issue.

" Ofcom and press regulator does it with regular media"  

Are you being fucking serious?

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've liked his videos against Trump but a woman has just got shot in the neck, she's now dead.

She's right wing though so maybe not too much of a fuss. Fuck the capitol and the shite those that are usually in it have inflicted on US people and the world for decades on end. It's a bad day for the woman that's dead, her friends and family, and also a bad day for blue maga I guess.

How do you know she's right wing? And was she shot by the police? There's been no mention of who she was or who did the shooting on anything I've seen up to now. 

And rapaport is right. The protestors have been allowed to walk in to what should be one of the most secure building in the world. If the was BLM, they'd have been shot for trying to get in. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Then you have to have every single person on twitter or Facebook be an identified and confirmed individual, so they can be held legally responsible for what they post.

Either the users are self-publishers just using the platform and need to be legally accountable for what they publish.

Or the websites themselves are publishers of the content and need to be held responsible.

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Of course they can, that's why websites have mods. If this stuff was being peddled on here Dave would have to answer for it alongside the person posting i

And Twitter etc are policed in the same way. You can report a post here. You can report a post there. And the people moderating will make their own mind up and will probably be less consistent than a VAR ref. Hold the people who post responsible. It is the only way, personal responsibility and don't expect to hide behind organisations. 

3 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Then you have to have every single person on twitter or Facebook be an identified and confirmed individual, so they can be held legally responsible for what they post.

Either the users are self-publishers just using the platform and need to be legally accountable for what they publish.

Or the websites themselves are publishers of the content and need to be held responsible.

I'm fine with people needing to identify who they are to post, Twitter is a platform, unless we're suggesting each post should require editorial approval before publication?  If they want to be anonymous, start their own platform or find a platform that is willing to take publishing responsibility, then treat them like any other publication. 

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Of course they can, that's why websites have mods. If this stuff was being peddled on here Dave would have to answer for it alongside the person posting it. 

I dont think you're setting your bar very high if you are using the press regulator as some kind of beacon, 

https://iea.org.uk/debate-is-self-regulation-failing-in-the-uk-newspaper-industry/

1 minute ago, Chocoholic said:

Looks like a professionally produced garment, obviously designed some time ago with this insurrection in mind, not just a spontaneous moment.

The rally/demonstration was certified with the authority's a while ago apparently.

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

How do you know she's right wing? And was she shot by the police?

Well she's going to be classed as right wing if she supports Trump isn't she? And yeah it looks like that's the case, unless a lot of right wing outlets have got it wrong, and a Florida State Rep too. To be honest I've tried to avoid searching around too much, I've already seen several images of her and it's disturbing.

And yeah maybe it should be more secure? It's the US gov though so I find it hard to care. If it was many other govs buildings including ours I'd not care much either (as long as the corrupt twats inside it don't get harmed either of course, I'm not into any side being harmed.) And whether the person shot is left, right, centrist, whatever, I care more about that than some shitty building being stormed.

14 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

If you take away anonymity you lose the power of people who are not in a position to speak to authority whistleblowers etc. Wikileaks is an obvious case in question.

The majority of Right wing Trump supporters are saying its Antifa pretending to be Trump supporters just to cause trouble!

Why on earth would they risk their life/jail time to disrupt this happening? 

A lot of the pro trump supporters are beyond help. They would need years of rehab to convince them that they are wrong!