You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The problem is not so much that you have people like that, but the society which has lost all sense of proportion and commons sense, which seemingly just goes from one extreme position to its opposite, because it is essentially incapable of rational analysis of its own problems.

The problem is most things are for show. If you cornered most people in their quiet moments they wouldn't care less about the environment, plastic bags, black lives matter, transgender rights etc, but when the social media spotlight's on them it becomes a race to see how you can look the most visibly outraged.

Corporations are boss at it, happily burn down a rainforest then charge you 10 pence for a plastic bag. I mean, when George Floyd was killed, what rational society decides the main problem is the packaging on Uncle Ben's rice.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The problem is most things are for show. If you cornered most people in their quiet moments they wouldn't care less about the environment, plastic bags, black lives matter, transgender rights etc, but when the social media spotlight's on them it becomes a race to see how you can look the most visibly outraged.

Corporations are boss at it, happily burn down a rainforest then charge you 10 pence for a plastic bag. I mean, when George Floyd was killed, what rational society decides the main problem is the packaging on Uncle Ben's rice.

The one that simply swaps one dogma for another? The problem isn't that most things are for show but that the society is not sure of its fundamental values, it has no principles, and is scared shitless of which ever baying mob comes round the corner, because there is no defence against it, apart from joining in.   

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Doesn’t exist. 

What an evil little shit. Don’t know if he’s worse or the supposed grown ups who’ve allowed it to influence their decision. 

Hopefully it’ll affect him as badly in the future. If he applied for a job with me I wouldn’t touch him with a shitty stick. Fucking grass.

2 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

What an evil little shit. Don’t know if he’s worse or the supposed grown ups who’ve allowed it to influence their decision. 

Hopefully it’ll affect him as badly in the future. If he applied for a job with me I wouldn’t touch him with a shitty stick. Fucking grass.

Careful now. He'd probably find a picture of you wearing a sombrero whilst on holiday in Mexico and have you publically destroyed for cultural appropriation. The fucking horrible little cunt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Geoff Woade said:

He probably won’t apply for a ‘normal’ job. He’ll get one within this culture and use his position as defender of the faith. 

I predict that within a year, maybe 2, he’ll do something that breaks the new rules and someone will gleefully dob him in to climb over his corpse.  

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, skend04 said:

I can't think of many that have gone from zero to a cunt in such a short space of time. I applaud him for the speed and efficiency.

I'd have not heard anything about this fella if it wasn't for this thread. He was adequate as Lewis' sidekick on telly but he does appear a Grade A twat. From 'Day of The Jackal' to 'Day of the Massive Cunt.' His family must be proud.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd have not heard anything about this fella if it wasn't for this thread. He was adequate as Lewis' sidekick on telly but he does appear a Grade A twat. From 'Day of The Jackal' to 'Day of the Massive Cunt.' His family must be proud.

if Emilia needs any sympathy she can have my number

• Upvote 1

On 27/12/2020 at 16:06, Section_31 said:

I mean, when George Floyd was killed, what rational society decides the main problem is the packaging on Uncle Ben's rice.

Nobody decided that. Nobody claimed that. That's not what happened. 

When the spotlight is thrown on what racism inevitably leads to, it's perfectly right that individuals and organisations take a few moments to check whether their actions are helping or hurting.  For a lot of organisations, the focus should be on who they employ, who they promote and how they provide their services. Some companies also took a look at their logos and finally admitted they were racist; in which case, it's perfectly right to change it. 

As Dolly Parton said: "As soon as you realise that  [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don't be a dumbass."

On 27/12/2020 at 19:26, Bjornebye said:

People can change. 

That's the bottom line.

If you're in the public eye, stuff that you say and do when you're at your worst will stick to you like Lady Macbeth's bloody hand. (Eric Clapton is still treated as a massive racist because of some shitty rant he went on when he was a self-loathing alcoholic in 1976; Bowie is a Nazi, because of some daft comments he made about aesthetics in 1977; Neil Young is a neocon hawk, because he pissed off some hacks in about 1980, who were looking to use him for an anti-Reagan quote.) It fucking stinks.

The trouble with social media is it puts everyone in the public eye.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

When the spotlight is thrown on what racism inevitably leads to, it's perfectly right that individuals and organisations take a few moments to check whether their actions are helping or hurting.  For a lot of organisations, the focus should be on who they employ, who they promote and how they provide their services. Some companies also took a look at their logos and finally admitted they were racist; in which case, it's perfectly right to change it. 

As Dolly Parton said: "As soon as you realise that  [something] is a problem, you should fix it. Don't be a dumbass."

The only problem with that harmonious picture is that it does not exist. Not only does what is seen as racist constantly change, this process is by no means innocent. 

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The only problem with that harmonious picture is that it does not exist. Not only does what is seen as racist constantly change, this process is by no means innocent. 

Eh? I'm not sure that talking about racist murders and structural racism paints a harmonious picture at all.

It sounds like you're talking about "what is seen as racist" by white people; in which case, it's perfectly right that that changes, because there's so much stuff that white people used to think was OK, but never was.

What do you mean by "this process" and what do you mean by "innocent"?

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If you're in the public eye, stuff that you say and do when you're at your worst will stick to you like Lady Macbeth's bloody hand. (Eric Clapton is still treated as a massive racist because of some shitty rant he went on when he was a self-loathing alcoholic in 1976; Bowie is a Nazi, because of some daft comments he made about aesthetics in 1977; Neil Young is a neocon hawk, because he pissed off some hacks in about 1980, who were looking to use him for an anti-Reagan quote.) It fucking stinks.

And poor Rolf Harris is still seen as a paedo even though he hasn't fucked any underage girls since the 80s.

42 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Eh? I'm not sure that talking about racist murders and structural racism paints a harmonious picture at all.

It sounds like you're talking about "what is seen as racist" by white people; in which case, it's perfectly right that that changes, because there's so much stuff that white people used to think was OK, but never was.

What do you mean by "this process" and what do you mean by "innocent"?

I started writing a long reply but realized I made a mistake, we are too far apart in our views and anyway it will only end as it always ends. Apologies for commenting/replying to your post.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I started writing a long reply but realized I made a mistake, we are too far apart in our views and anyway it will only end as it always ends. Apologies for commenting/replying to your post.

Really?

I genuinely don't understand what your reply to my post means, but the post you responded to boils down to "racism = bad; Dolly Parton = good". How far are you from those views?

25 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Really?

I genuinely don't understand what your reply to my post means, but the post you responded to boils down to "racism = bad; Dolly Parton = good". How far are you from those views?

That is roughly what I meant when I said it would end as it always ends, I started writing an attempt of critical analysis but realized it was pointless within such parameters. And I very much prefer Loretta.

3 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It seems Dolly was a dumbass allowing that facial plastic surgeon anywhere near her. Never mind the Overton window,hers should be a bricked up one.

• Downvote 2