You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cancel Culture

aRdja

Now that the new york times science editor is out of work and uncle bens rice packets have been redesigned, the fight for racial justice can truly begin, meanwhile, Trump and Johnson and all these other pricks spew actual  genuine, racist bile.

Crazy thing to lose your career over. People should spend more time trying to reconfigure the recruitment and training processes of police officers than fretting about the fact someone at the new yorker got bkacked up as a teenager to look like Mr T.

Talk about low hanging fruit.. 

• Upvote 1

Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever I think it may be preemptive.  Someone who was there telling a journalist or some such what happened and him jumping before he was pushed.  

The alternative is that he was doing some kind of audit and remembered doing it and then got guilty.  Which is equally crazy.  

24 minutes ago, SasaS said:

The wording of the apology is really scarry. They always sound like statements of seld-criticism  from Chinese cultural revolution

like they have been dicated from some authority,

But hes not in China.

there is always an expression of contrition followed by admitting "the crime" which is almost always accompanied by a completely disproportionate "punishment" (a resignation or removal).

How  do you know if in this case a resignation was disproportionate or not? We dont know the full facts. 

Like that acterss who resigned from voicing a black cartoon character saying in her expression of contrition that she now realizes she was contribting to eradication of black people (by voicing a black character).

Really, again how can you make this assumption without knowing the facts? 

This is all totalitarianism at its finest.

The man does not live in a totalitarian state though. if what you are saying is true the man should have grown a pair instead of pandering to the complainants. Unlike China he would have had a hearing. I can only assume he didnt because he knew he'd lose.

All you have to do is discourse or structural analyis to recognize iz. There is always an informer (or informers) who starts it, then the act of contrition and accepting punishment (to avoid more severre punishment) in the form of expressing full ideological subservience, followed by expressions of "loyalists" who approve, usually scared shitless they would be next. 

"More severe punishment" he's just lost his job, that's just about as severe as it could get.  His mistake would not be deemed serious enough for a custodial sentence.

He was obviously aware of the full facts, he's obviously bright enough to realise he was in the wrong and he's done the right thing for himself and all involved by resigning. It's as simple as that.

11 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Crazy thing to lose your career over.

I doubt he's lost his career.  He's resigned his current post at the NYT, but he's still an employable journalist.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him write a piece on this whole experience and what he's learned from it, yadda yadda yadda, and then get a decent job as a science journalist with another paper.

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

I doubt he's lost his career.  He's resigned his current post at the NYT, but he's still an employable journalist.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him write a piece on this whole experience and what he's learned from it, yadda yadda yadda, and then get a decent job as a science journalist with another paper.

Washington Post.

I don't buy the idea that stuff like this detracts from the fight against more egregious aspects of racism.  Of course we should all oppose shit like the way the UK Govt. treats asylum seekers or the inbuilt injustices in education and employment... but we should all get our own houses in order as well.

9 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

But hes not in China.

How  do you know if in this case a resignation was disproportionate or not? We dont know the full facts. 

Really, again how can you make this assumption without knowing the facts? 

The man does not live in a totalitarian state though. if what you are saying is true the man should have grown a pair instead of pandering to the complainants. Unlike China he would have had a hearing. I can only assume he didnt because he knew he'd lose.

"More severe punishment" he's just lost his job, that's just about as severe as it could get.  His mistake would not be deemed serious enough for a custodial sentence.

He was obviously aware of the full facts, he's obviously bright enough to realise he was in the wrong and he's done the right thing for himself and all involved by resigning. It's as simple as that.

I think SaSas might have been using this guy's instance to make a broader point about the nature of post-woke "crime" and "punishment".  

Perhaps.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Really? I find it extraordinary. The statement doesn’t mention anyone complaining at the time, it was in a discussion where he was asked a question and now he’s apologising to the scientific community.  Do you think a resignation is a proportionate response? Or would an apology do? 

Some of the people there did complain.  The paper investigated it and disciplined him, but chose not to fire him.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/29/new-york-times-reporter-donald-mcneil-jr-not-fired-racial-slur-claims-student-trip

• Upvote 1

Just now, skaro said:

I think SaSas might have been using this guy's instance to make a broader point about the nature of post-woke "crime" and "punishment".  

Perhaps.

Yeah I understand that but the two are not similar as in totalitarianism states and stuff because the fella had a shot at the sun. He chose to fall on his sword.

21 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Based on absolutely no evidence whatsoever I think it may be preemptive.  Someone who was there telling a journalist or some such what happened and him jumping before he was pushed.  

The alternative is that he was doing some kind of audit and remembered doing it and then got guilty.  Which is equally crazy.  

I was close then! 

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah I understand that but the two are not similar as in totalitarianism states and stuff because the fella had a shot at the sun. He chose to fall on his sword.

They are absolutely similar. We tend to discuss, in this and other threads, situations which can be termed borderline, or situations where some of us (well, me) don't understand where "the crime" is, like asking someone did he use the word by using the word, i.e. uttering the word which is considered a racial slur to find out the nature of the discussed transgression (I could have said it more simply but then I would have to repeat the offence).

Totalitarian regimes mostly don't fight their open ideological opponets, they go against "regular people" the citizens that transgressed, frequently not knowing where the transgression line is and why. Now, the mindset and approach in this is definetly totalitarian, what I still don't know is what is the ideology behind it.

36 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They are absolutely similar. We tend to discuss, in this and other threads, situations which can be termed borderline, or situations where some of us (well, me) don't understand where "the crime" is,

In any "borderline crime" the line is drawn by the perpetrator for whatever reason. The consequences are often out of their hands. So someone like Marjorie Taylor Greene does not feel "guilty" - and suffers consequences. If you do something your employer is not ok with you feel the same.

TBH I think this fella either probably wasn't that arsed about the gig or may have well stepped over acceptability. That assumes everyone acknowledges there is stuff you shouldn't say.