You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

26 minutes ago, an tha said:

I do wish Labour wouldn't pander to the little ingerlunders and flag shaggers et al with this union jack lark....it just looks tory to me.

I get why they are doing it, they feel they have to given how brexit/johnson etc has brought it all back - but i don't like it one bit.

A pill that will have to be swallowed i suppose to see labour back in power, but does not sit well with me.

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Would you mind expanding on why you feel like that; is it because you don't like the imagery or because you think it's one foot in the nationalist camp? The flag doesn't bother me so much. It is, after all, just the flag of the nation they're seeking to represent. And it's not actually for 'little inglanders' who don't like the union flag so much as the cross. The national anthem... I did wince a little through that one. Still, like you say, they're trying to win an election here and giving the people you're representing the idea you might actually like the country is probably not terrible when it comes to winning votes. I'm not much of a fan of the union, but I can see why they're trying to capitalise on the recent royalist nonsense. Ultimately people want to feel good about themselves and their nation. 

It should also be said, in 2018 the flags that were being flown were these. Now, as anybody who has talked to me on here over the years will know, I'm a strong supporter of Palestine, but you can obviously understand those who aren't interested beyond their own current state of affairs, their job, their family's wellbeing, etc, could look at these images and think the party doesn't represent us, it's not interested in us, it doesn't want to put us first. It doesn't mean they're right to think that, but I can certainly understand it.

20220926_164151.jpg

proxy.php.jpg

I agree with both here in most parts. The flag shagging isn't for me at all but at the end of the day they are trying to be the government so they can't be burning union jacks and calling prince charles a parasite. 

Whatever it takes to get the cunts out. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Again, he’s going to want people calling him a communist over rail. Trust me, It’s that specific claim he’s interested in; Stronts knows Corbyn was called a communist many times. The thing you’re claiming was that he was branded a communist for rail nationalisation. 

Fair enough

I should have suggested he was branded a comminist for advocating nationalisation but specifically not the railways

Not that I'd ever accuse someone of nitpicking.

22 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

The flag/national anthem stuff is  exactly the time of pointless,meaningless act that will appeal to red wall fuckwits.

It leaves me cold but if it gets them a few more votes..

And getting those votes is all that matters. The nation is full of idiots and some of them are driven only by this supposed patriotism. You can't afford to just ignore them, because UKIP showed, they're about 20% of this country. 

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I agree with both here in most parts. The flag shagging isn't for me at all but at the end of the day they are trying to be the government so they can't be burning union jacks and calling prince charles a parasite. 

Whatever it takes to get the cunts out. 

For me it's all blather, it doesn't bother me, I couldn't really care about the flags either way, it's not going to affect my life.

The issue for me is Labour are turning down a once in a generation open goal. They can redefine the line of argument on patriotism and what is really relevant. 

The man on the street owning a share in Britain's assets from energy to water is an example of being patriotic. We need to nail the Thatcher bullshit of privatisation once and for all. It's not patriotic to sell the country's silver to overseas investors. 

Recent polls show the overwhelming majority of voters now favour renationalisation, even the majority of tory votes want water taken back into public hands. The difference between public and private ownership is perfectly summed up with Scotland not pumping so much as a pint of sewage into their rivers whilst Englands are pumped full of shit by private investors. Welsh water is non profit. If people are genuinely patriotic why would they be happy seeing coastlnes fucking ruined for profit?

The flag shit is just noise.

4 hours ago, Arniepie said:

The flag/national anthem stuff is  exactly the time of pointless,meaningless act that will appeal to red wall fuckwits.

It leaves me cold but if it gets them a few more votes..

Ironically, it appeals to the kind of people who moan about gesture politics and virtue signalling.

5 hours ago, an tha said:

I do wish Labour wouldn't pander to the little ingerlunders and flag shaggers et al with this union jack lark....it just looks tory to me.

I get why they are doing it, they feel they have to given how brexit/johnson etc has brought it all back - but i don't like it one bit.

A pill that will have to be swallowed i suppose to see labour back in power, but does not sit well with me.

That’s why I was pleasantly surprised by Starmer’s speech at the conference. It’d be great if he could move beyond all that nauseating and silly flaggy nonsense (I walked past the Exhibition Centre Liverpool earlier and there was a fair amount of Union Jack Labour branded banners/posters on display on the temporary security gates installed on Kings Parade - so we’ve got a long way to go in that regard, when you factor in the stage backdrop and that too) but his conference speech seemed to be the first time he’s verbally moved beyond that shit and actually provide a bit of detail on policy. That was missing up until now, for me. And, to be fair, some of the policy announcements sounded quite interesting and were policies that I’d be in favour of. 

Just checking though, they definitely were policy announcements weren’t they? Not “pledges?” There weren’t 10 of them, was there? 

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

That’s why I was pleasantly surprised by Starmer’s speech at the conference. It’d be great if he could move beyond all that nauseating and silly flaggy nonsense (I walked past the Exhibition Centre Liverpool earlier and there was a fair amount of Union Jack Labour branded banners/posters on display on the temporary security gates installed on Kings Parade - so we’ve got a long way to go in that regard, when you factor in the stage backdrop and that too) but his conference speech seemed to be the first time he’s verbally moved beyond that shit and actually provide a bit of detail on policy. That was missing up until now, for me. And, to be fair, some of the policy announcements sounded quite interesting and were policies that I’d be in favour of. 

Just checking though, they definitely were policy announcements weren’t they? Not “pledges?” There weren’t 10 of them, was there? 

I honestly wouldn't get too bothered about the flag and anthem stuff, Starmer has to play the cards he's dealt to an extent. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I honestly wouldn't get too bothered about the flag and anthem stuff, Starmer has to play the cards he's dealt to an extent. 

Same here. Also, I don't care if Starmer tucks his vest into Union Jack underpants as long as he becomes PM and stops the Tories and their all-out attacks on the poor.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ironically, it appeals to the kind of people who moan about gesture politics and virtue signalling.

Exactly. I couldn't care less but its hypocritical to moan about individuals and other organisations when your own side is singing God save the king against the backdrop of what could be a meeting for the National Front. 

Imo their's better and more important ways to prove your patriotism and they actually improve people's lives. Ie take the keys off the spivs who rip us off for water and energy, send them off without a penny for their shares, then plant a union flag outside the entrance door. Then you deserve to fly the flag, otherwise its all gesture politics. Noise.

4 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He's 100% right there. We want a serious politician not a song and dance man.

Stupid media shit like the above questions have us Boris Johnson. I'm glad Starmer pushed back against the question instead of going along and inventing something silly just to please the interviewer.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

When you lot apply all the righteous tests and behaviours to voters it leaves about 5 people. No wonder you can’t win an election. It’s like Goldilocks. 

The reason Labour doesn't win its fair share of elections is not because people ask valid questions of the leadership, its because a large amount of selfish people go to the polling station on election day and vote Conservative.

• Upvote 1

The little inglanders that shag flags, drink prosecco and carling, watch soaps and reality shows, go to Benidorm, aren't arsed about Palestine and wear sports gear are not usually thick fascists or racists but working class. The type of working class that are sneered at on here but are exactly who need to vote Labour in order for them to beat the tories.

21 minutes ago, A Red said:

The little inglanders that shag flags, drink prosecco and carling, watch soaps and reality shows, go to Benidorm, aren't arsed about Palestine and wear sports gear are not usually thick fascists or racists but working class. The type of working class that are sneered at on here but are exactly who need to vote Labour in order for them to beat the tories.

But they get ripped into whilst those at the Labour conference singing the National anthem in front of a wall of flags get granted a free pass. As I've said above it's all neither here or there.

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm completely lost at the point you're making. 

Flag waving is OK for some but not for others. I'm not really fused on Nationalisation tbh but at the same time I don't get triggered over someone with a tattoo, to much made of it all imo. 

5 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Flag waving is OK for some but not for others. I'm not really fused on Nationalisation tbh but at the same time I don't get triggered over someone with a tattoo, to much made of it all imo. 

Maybe I'm wrong but when liverpool fans boo the anthem they're booing the establishment, as in, the current government and the Tory Party in particular, plus everything they currently represent. I don't imagine it would have happened under Blair/Brown, or in a country that was genuinely committed to greater class equality in the future. 

It's not that people dislike the country, it's that they think it doesn't like them.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I think you are conflating union jack's with some people who have hijacked the union jack to try and represent a certain type of Britishness. The flag belongs to us all and we shouldn't be chased from using it by a bunch of right wing no marks. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Maybe I'm wrong but when liverpool fans boo the anthem they're booing the establishment,  as in, the current government and the Tory Party in particular. I don't imagine it would have happened under Blair/Brown, or in a country that was genuinely committed to greater class equality in the future. 

It's not that people dislike the country, it's that they think it doesn't like them.

Yeah fair enough I didn't have that in mind tbh. Maybe as I'm a bit of an outsider looking in to the god save the King, union flag waving stuff as its all a bit blah. I can see why people do it but its nor for me, it all feels a bit forced but everyone to their own I suppose.

As for the Labour conference, its right after the death of the Queen, they've obviously seen the queues and reaction so you can see the logic in doing it and so do it and move on. I'm not sure they should do it every year though, it'd start getting on everyone's fuvking nerves.

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think you are conflating union jack's with some people who have hijacked the union jack to try and represent a certain type of Britishness. The flag belongs to us all and we shouldn't be chased from using it by a bunch of right wing no marks. 

Who's mentioned right wing no marks? What about people who've served in the forces for example. I know someone who got a tattoo in tribute to his best mate who got killed next to him in Bosnia, he's done two tours, can't fucking stand the Royal family and deserves to fly the flag a bit more than Prince Edward. I also know quite a few wear the Welsh Dragon, not for me but there you go. Nationalisation is not my cup of tea..hopefully this Royal love affair will soon blow over.

13 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Who's mentioned right wing no marks? What about people who've served in the forces for example. I know someone who got a tattoo in tribute to his best mate who got killed next to him in Bosnia, he's done two tours, can't fucking stand the Royal family and deserves to fly the flag a bit more than Prince Edward. I also know quite a few wear the Welsh Dragon, not for me but there you go. Nationalisation is not my cup of tea..hopefully this Royal love affair will soon blow over.

I'm even more confused what your point is. You have clearly been insinuating people sneer at the right. Why would anyone sneer at a member of the armed forces having a tattoo? And what's that got to do with the flag at the labour conference? As I said in my previous post. I believe the flag belongs to us all. I don't sneer at anyone because they fly it. I do sneer at a certain section of society who use the flag to represent right wing, bigoted values. It seems to me you want to sneer at anyone who wants to be associated with the Union jack.