You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The NHS

Dougie Do'ins

Some fun and games with the NHS this week. To be fair, most staff I came into contact with tried their best and were nice people. 

I’ve been having problems with my knee. In the end the pain was getting so bad I phoned the surgery and managed to get a ‘call back’ appointment. In preparation I had to send some photos of the knee for the doctor to review.

The upshot of the call was that the Doctor was worried I might have an infection. He phoned the Orthopaedic department at the hospital, who said I needed to register at A&E but they would then come and see me. 

In my mind I thought this meant, I wouldn’t need to queue as long.

Seven hours later I finally saw the Orthopaedic Surgeon who drained my knee, told me it would take three days for the results to come back, said I should ask the nurses for pain relief, then buggered off. 

After waiting another hour, I was finally given two paracetamols.

It was 1am by this time. Didn’t want to wake the wife so just got an Uber home and went to bed.

At 3am my phone went. It was the surgeon asking where I was? She said she’d admitted me due to the infection concerns, even though she’d neglected to tell me that. 

It’s worth saying that my Dad died of Sepsis so this stuff was already making me anxious.

I asked if I could come back in the morning. She said if I did, I’d lose the bed and have to go through A&E again. 

Got the wife up and she drove me back at about 3am.

In the end, I still had to register at A&E as apparently “the bed is not yet available”

Six hours later I got admitted to the ward. Asked for some pain relief as, by now, I was in agony. Got told they couldn’t give me any until the doctor had seen me. 

Three hours later I got some of the good stuff!

Luckily I was in a side room and could hear them talking at the desk saying they were desperate for rooms. 

One of the doctors came in ten minutes later and said that I wouldn’t get my results for three days but if I was ok in the morning they’d let me go home. 

This morning he came again and said it was very much up to me whether I got discharged, but if I stayed they’d move me to the main ward and I would be there until at least Monday. 

I know I was being played but I wanted to go home anyway. My temperature is ok, so I think any infection is probably not too much of a risk.

All a bit of a farce in a broken NHS. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Some fun and games with the NHS this week. To be fair, most staff I came into contact with tried their best and were nice people. 

I’ve been having problems with my knee. In the end the pain was getting so bad I phoned the surgery and managed to get a ‘call back’ appointment. In preparation I had to send some photos of the knee for the doctor to review.

The upshot of the call was that the Doctor was worried I might have an infection. He phoned the Orthopaedic department at the hospital, who said I needed to register at A&E but they would then come and see me. 

Seven hours later I finally saw the Orthopaedic Surgeon who drained my knee, told me it would take three days for the results to come back, said I should ask the nurses for pain relief, then buggered off. 

It was 1am by this time. Didn’t want to wake the wife so just got an Uber home and went to bed.

At 3am my phone went. It was the surgeon asking where I was? She said she’d admitted me due to the infection concerns, even though she’d neglected to tell me that. 

It’s worth saying that my Dad died of Sepsis so this stuff was already making me anxious.

I asked if I could come back in the morning. She said if I did, I’d lose the bed and have to go through A&E again. 

In the end, I still had to register at A&E as apparently “the bed is not yet available”

Six hours later I got admitted to the ward. Asked for some pain relief as, by now, I was in agony. Got told they couldn’t give me any until the doctor had seen me. 

Luckily I was in a side room and could hear them talking at the desk saying they were desperate for rooms. 

One of the doctors came in ten minutes later and said that I wouldn’t get my results for three days but if I was ok in the morning they’d let me go home. 

This morning he came again and said it was very much up to me whether I got discharged, but if I stayed they’d move me to the main ward and I would be there until at least Monday. 

I know I was being played but I wanted to go home anyway. My temperature is ok, so I think any infection is probably not too much of a risk.

That is grim.

I thought I was having it bad with my blocked ear (apparently doctors won't even look at this any more).

We need a Labour government & some investment in the NHS as soon as fucking possible.

• Upvote 2

Her brother got rushed into a and e the other week. I drove up to hospital and she said he was on a trolley. I walked in expecting to find one or two people on trolleys. He was 18th from 19. This was a Tuesday afternoon in spring. They found him a bed on Wednesday morning after 24 hours. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

A bit of an update. Got a phone call this afternoon to say I definitely have an infection and needed to come back…..only I can’t come back as there are no beds.

They called a bit later to say there still weren’t any beds but I should come up anyway as they’d cleared a space.

When I arrived there was a bed. I’m sitting by it now. 

The surgeon this time has been very good. Apparently the one last night had not even indicated which knee it was. Anyways she’s already sent me for an x ray and I’ve had some additional blood tests. 

Definitely staying in now, although I’ve missed dinner. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Exactly. Cunts of the highest order yet millions are worried about migrants.Your enemy is under your nose,you stupid twats!

And that is there angle. "get em out" "stop the boats" 

I'd happily shoot every single gammon racist cunt who would sacrifice a relatively fair society to see 'boats' sink in the channel. 

My youngest Grandchild who will be 4 next month has Downs Syndrome and what looks like severe autism. He has a lot and I mean a lot of problems one of which is food aversion. 

He's been passed from pillar to post all his life with dieticians saying one thing then referring him somewhere else for them to say something completely different, with nothing at all being done to actually help him.

The only thing he'll take is a prescribed milk based nutrition in a bottle.

Being the way he is he's a long way behind where he should be.

He's non verbal and probably has a mental age of about 8 months.

I say probably because he's never actually been assessed for that.

Toilet training? forget it. He has absolutely no inclination whatsoever and is now approaching a size where conventional nappies are going to be too small, so will need medical incontinence nappies which are expensive but

are available on the NHS. His Mum and Dad are having to fight for these though, as they've had to for his food. 

Whenever he's had a hospital appointment and his Mum and Dad ask questions why he's been left, they always say that he's a Covid baby.

By far the worst thing though is he grinds his teeth, so much so that he's worn down, cracked and broken some leaving nerves exposed.

His Mum took him to he Dentist who tried to look, but he wasn't having it so she wrote to the relevant people for an urgent appointment in hospital because he needed teeth removing and he was in pain.

This was in January. He had 7 teeth removed under general anaesthetic at the beginning of May. It's a fucking disgrace.

The NHS has literally saved my life on more than one occasion and saved my Mrs when she almost bled out after childbirth. They also saved my Daughter when she had a particularly bad Asthma attack and I'll always be grateful to them, but the neglect of care for my Grandson is unforgivable.

How the fucking hell can you leave a three year old child in agony for over four months is beyond me.

The level of care he has received is negligible. His Mum and Dad are fighting his corner every day and getting nowhere. 

His Dad, my Lad works permanent nights driving HGV's, his Mum is exhausted and although they get appointments, nothing ever gets done. It's like beating your head against a wall.

It's criminal what the Tories have done, they should be prosecuted for crimes against the people. Bastards.

• Upvote 8

15 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

My youngest Grandchild who will be 4 next month has Downs Syndrome and what looks like severe autism. He has a lot and I mean a lot of problems one of which is food aversion. 

He's been passed from pillar to post all his life with dieticians saying one thing then referring him somewhere else for them to say something completely different, with nothing at all being done to actually help him.

The only thing he'll take is a prescribed milk based nutrition in a bottle.

Being the way he is he's a long way behind where he should be.

He's non verbal and probably has a mental age of about 8 months.

I say probably because he's never actually been assessed for that.

Toilet training? forget it. He has absolutely no inclination whatsoever and is now approaching a size where conventional nappies are going to be too small, so will need medical incontinence nappies which are expensive but

are available on the NHS. His Mum and Dad are having to fight for these though, as they've had to for his food. 

Whenever he's had a hospital appointment and his Mum and Dad ask questions why he's been left, they always say that he's a Covid baby.

By far the worst thing though is he grinds his teeth, so much so that he's worn down, cracked and broken some leaving nerves exposed.

His Mum took him to he Dentist who tried to look, but he wasn't having it so she wrote to the relevant people for an urgent appointment in hospital because he needed teeth removing and he was in pain.

This was in January. He had 7 teeth removed under general anaesthetic at the beginning of May. It's a fucking disgrace.

The NHS has literally saved my life on more than one occasion and saved my Mrs when she almost bled out after childbirth. They also saved my Daughter when she had a particularly bad Asthma attack and I'll always be grateful to them, but the neglect of care for my Grandson is unforgivable.

How the fucking hell can you leave a three year old child in agony for over four months is beyond me.

The level of care he has received is negligible. His Mum and Dad are fighting his corner every day and getting nowhere. 

His Dad, my Lad works permanent nights driving HGV's, his Mum is exhausted and although they get appointments, nothing ever gets done. It's like beating your head against a wall.

It's criminal what the Tories have done, they should be prosecuted for crimes against the people. Bastards.

Correction.  

That should have been a mental age of 18 months not 8.

My elderly neighbour sadly passed away recently after having been discharged too soon. He was being treated in a corridor at one point.

The NHS is now a borderline third world operation. If I had to go to A&E now I'd be every bit as petrified as if I had to go to one in fucking China or something.

Most of it's just PR now. The people's baby, NHS gospel choirs and TikToks out the arse, but when the shit hits the fan if you go in you're probably not coming out.

It was like this in the eighties. The Royal permanently stank of shit. The Tories were in power then too. Funny that.

A&E is an absolute nightmare I've been there all weekend but the NHS is incredible, look at the US you can lose your house if you have a heart attack. Costs a fortune for an epipen. Slaved to private health insurance that can be connected to a job you hate and politicians and doctors in the pockets of big pharma. I saw some YouTube guy saying he broke his pelvis when he wasn't insured and it cost him 70 grand that was before he had to pay for the ambulance, the after care the drugs and having a job that didn't have sick pay. The land of the free is essentially a corporation or more owning you.

These people who hate immigrants go to any hospital and see doctors and nurses from all over the world doing brilliant work. Not having life threatening issues can be a pain, waiting lists are terrible but knowing the financial implications aren't going to ruin you or own your future is massive. Every single politician in this country who wants rid of the NHS is in my opinion an enemy of human decency.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A&E is an absolute nightmare I've been there all weekend but the NHS is incredible, look at the US you can lose your house if you have a heart attack. Costs a fortune for an epipen. Slaved to private health insurance that can be connected to a job you hate and politicians and doctors in the pockets of big pharma. I saw some YouTube guy saying he broke his pelvis when he wasn't insured and it cost him 70 grand that was before he had to pay for the ambulance, the after care the drugs and having a job that didn't have sick pay. The land of the free is essentially a corporation or more owning you.

These people who hate immigrants go to any hospital and see doctors and nurses from all over the world doing brilliant work. Not having life threatening issues can be a pain, waiting lists are terrible but knowing the financial implications aren't going to ruin you or own your future is massive. Every single politician in this country who wants rid of the NHS is in my opinion an enemy of human decency.

Well said.

The Tories are an enemy of the state. I'm not particularly patriotic, but these are the enemy within - they've gutted and stripped every British public service to the bone. The health system barely works, the rivers, lakes and seas are full of shit, they have no idea what they're doing in education. The trains are a fucking mess. There's barely a road without a pothole. People are being screwed left right and centre for energy bills, council tax, food prices, mortgages. 

And all these twats do is go on about people in fucking boats escaping wars, China and Putin. Of course, that's just a distraction while their mates pillage the public purse. And a distraction because they have no idea how to do the day job. 

7 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

The Tories are an enemy of the state. I'm not particularly patriotic, but these are the enemy within - they've gutted and stripped every British public service to the bone. The health system barely works, the rivers, lakes and seas are full of shit, they have no idea what they're doing in education. The trains are a fucking mess. There's barely a road without a pothole. People are being screwed left right and centre for energy bills, council tax, food prices, mortgages. 

And all these twats do is go on about people in fucking boats escaping wars, China and Putin. Of course, that's just a distraction while their mates pillage the public purse. And a distraction because they have no idea how to do the day job. 

I've always maintained that every time the cunts get in, it's not because of what they can do for the country, it's that they frighten the public into not voting for anyone else.

On 20/05/2023 at 19:49, Bjornebye said:

They are stretching the NHS to breaking point so thy can justify privatising healthcare. 

It's basically mass murder. 

Yeah, but Corbyn once said terrorists were his friends, and Boris was ever-so-funny on that zip-wire.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yeah, but Corbyn once said terrorists were his friends, and Boris was ever-so-funny on that zip-wire.

I've got a few things I need to see a doctor about but the idea of the whole experience just puts me off. I'm probably doing lasting damage by not getting seen too but you have to wonder if the hassle is even worth it. 

And no it's not an STI you dirty gets

48 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've got a few things I need to see a doctor about but the idea of the whole experience just puts me off. I'm probably doing lasting damage by not getting seen too but you have to wonder if the hassle is even worth it. 

And no it's not an STI you dirty gets

You need a zoo vet for those flamingo legs.

Last night I was supposed to have antibiotics dispensed through an automated drip.

It didn’t happen. They couldn’t find a working machine in the whole hospital.

This wasn’t as irritating as a side order of carrots being added to my chilli con carne, but both examples of an NHS fast losing itself.

• Upvote 2

On 20/05/2023 at 19:33, YorkshireRed said:

A bit of an update. Got a phone call this afternoon to say I definitely have an infection and needed to come back…..only I can’t come back as there are no beds.

They called a bit later to say there still weren’t any beds but I should come up anyway as they’d cleared a space.

When I arrived there was a bed. I’m sitting by it now. 

The surgeon this time has been very good. Apparently the one last night had not even indicated which knee it was. Anyways she’s already sent me for an x ray and I’ve had some additional blood tests. 

Definitely staying in now, although I’ve missed dinner. 

Sorry to hear this mate, I hope you're doing a little better and getting the care you need. It's only when you really need it that you realise the systemic failings of the NHS and how it's being held together by tremendous people. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Last night I was supposed to have antibiotics dispensed through an automated drip.

It didn’t happen. They couldn’t find a working machine in the whole hospital.

This wasn’t as irritating as a side order of carrots being added to my chilli con carne, but both examples of an NHS fast losing itself.

At least you didn't get those horrible tinned boiled potatoes. Yet.

• Upvote 1