You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

So are we ready for a new album of the week or do those of you yet to review the Bananagun record prefer it if I hold on for a couple of days?

Listening this afternoon again for final thoughts so should be up tonight. Let it roll...

The Bananagun album is an interesting one. Difficult to rate it - it has a local band sound. Most local bands who play in their local bars are a bit all over the place. This album has it's peaks and troughs. Sort of the love child of The Stone Roses and The Beatles but what chance do you have when your parents are so damn good? 

As a local band, I would fall over myself to get a few beers and listen to them play. From that perspective, 8/10.

As an album to get my attention above the national and international bands, it's OK. 6/10 worth of OK. 

4 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

First 15 seconds reminded me of why it took me so long to get into Seinfeld. Stopped it there soz. 

We have a secret member. Ooh-er. 

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

We have a secret member. Ooh-er. 

Nah, I just have an occasional listen if it looks interesting. Couldn't commit to listening and reviewing everything. Too hard trying to keep up with everything the fella out Thee Oh Sees releases as it is, not to mention Ty Segall. 

On 19/08/2020 at 01:24, Carvalho Diablo said:

Well this is a thing.

Sort of like a cross between Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Spin Doctors, Wild Cherry, Metallica and the Seinfeld theme tune.

I didn’t not have fun listening to it, but I also couldn’t really tell if it was supposed to be a piss take or not.

Full review to follow.

• Upvote 1

I think I like Bananagun. Like some weird melange of garage white guy funkers with the Association on vocals and an art student arranging. Feels forced at times - kind of moving from scene to scene in a low budget theatre production. But cool. Kitschy early 70's girl film cool. Probably wouldn't cue the whole thing up at a weekend duster but could see one or two of these peaking into a playlist for an after party. Plus, "Bananagun" - should be a sweet t shirt at least.

• Upvote 2

Infectious Grooves - The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move

I did what I always do and listened to the album before I read up on the artists involved, so not to have any preconceived expectations.
The stand out on this album being the bass, I had a "feeling" we were dealing with one of the greats here and I got it right. 
Trujillo is just ace, isn't he? That slapped/popped bass is brilliant throughout on both the funky and metal tracks. 
You can't help but enjoy these tracks, even the heavier ones still groove due to the bass lines.

I'm not a fan of skits on albums but it works here to emphasise that the guys are just kicking off their shoes and just having a ball. The vocals aren't great but this isn't the type of music to dwell on the vocals. They're delivered to accomplish a task and do that just right. There's no "huge" stand out moments but there doesn't have to be - this all gels well together from start to finish.

Stand out tracks:

Punk It Up
Therapy
Back to the People
Infecto Groovalistic

I enjoyed this album. It's funky and fun but also kicks ass at times. While it may come across as a piss take, there's some serious playing on show here. Fans of Jane's Addiction, Suicidal Tendencies, RHCP etc would like this.

8/10

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Infectious Grooves - The Plague That Makes Your Booty Move

I did what I always do and listened to the album before I read up on the artists involved, so not to have any preconceived expectations.
The stand out on this album being the bass, I had a "feeling" we were dealing with one of the greats here and I got it right. 
Trujillo is just ace, isn't he? That slapped/popped bass is brilliant throughout on both the funky and metal tracks. 
You can't help but enjoy these tracks, even the heavier ones still groove due to the bass lines.

I'm not a fan of skits on albums but it works here to emphasise that the guys are just kicking off their shoes and just having a ball. The vocals aren't great but this isn't the type of music to dwell on the vocals. They're delivered to accomplish a task and do that just right. There's no "huge" stand out moments but there doesn't have to be - this all gels well together from start to finish.

Stand out tracks:

Punk It Up
Therapy
Back to the People
Infecto Groovalistic

I enjoyed this album. It's funky and fun but also kicks ass at times. While it may come across as a piss take, there's some serious playing on show here. Fans of Jane's Addiction, Suicidal Tendencies, RHCP etc would like this.

8/10

You ain’t got a clue

And you smell like poo.

57 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

You ain’t got a clue

And you smell like poo.

Not really of course @ZonkoVille77, I was just quoting some lyrics from Infectious Grooves, and you seem quite clued up on music.

I would never normally listen to this type of funk metal thing, but second time around I think I enjoyed it more than the first.

If they had been taking it seriously it would be ridiculous, but as they obviously aren't it turns out to be good silly fun.  I prefer it when they take it to the max, rather than the slower stuff.  Quite pleased with my Metallica shout now informed it has Robert Trujillo on it.  Although knowing @Carvalho Diablo I probably should have got the Suicidal Tendencies in there too.

I love the Carvalho track by track review, but it's not the way I roll listening to tunes these days, mostly through streaming without really knowing what all the names of the songs are.

In the old days as a kid I would listen to a new tape, and sit there reading the whole liner notes, learning the lyrics (if there were lyrics) knowing the guest musicians and producers, etc.  I guess this is the equivalent of CD copying me a tape off his ghetto blaster and not even been bothered to write down the tracks.

Got a bit off track there.

I'm giving Infectious Grooves 6.5/10

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

In the old days as a kid I would listen to a new tape, and sit there reading the whole liner notes, learning the lyrics (if there were lyrics) knowing the guest musicians and producers, etc. 

I hear ya. That's exactly what I used to do. I'd read the sleeve notes end to end, multiple times. I'd even get to know the graphic designers involved in the cover making process. Streaming has fucked that up and it's easy to understand why purists have gone back to Vinyl. I would if I had the space to store it all.. Plus I could do without the hassle from the missus! I've over 1500 CD's stored in boxes all over the place that she's been pushing me to sell for some time now. She's probably right because I hardly ever take any out and just pop Spotify on. Different days...

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I hear ya. That's exactly what I used to do. I'd read the sleeve notes end to end, multiple times. I'd even get to know the graphic designers involved in the cover making process. Streaming has fucked that up and it's easy to understand why purists have gone back to Vinyl. I would if I had the space to store it all.. Plus I could do without the hassle from the missus! I've over 1500 CD's stored in boxes all over the place that she's been pushing me to sell for some time now. She's probably right because I hardly ever take any out and just pop Spotify on. Different days...

Once every six months I'd sell CDs on eBay and sometimes there were some surprising results. I had collection of Deep Purple albums and one of them on eBay kept getting bids. I purchased for about £2 on amazon and sold for about £12. Seemed like it was worth more than someone thought.

3 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

Once every six months I'd sell CDs on eBay and sometimes there were some surprising results. I had collection of Deep Purple albums and one of them on eBay kept getting bids. I purchased for about £2 on amazon and sold for about £12. Seemed like it was worth more than someone thought.

Nice one. I haven't got the patience for eBay so that's why I've boxes of them. Car boot sales are more to my liking but Covid has kind of put a halt to many of those for now. I'll get rid of them one of these years..... 

Infectious Grooves. Well, the last album was the love child of The Beatles and The Stone Roses. You can only imagine what they had to do between each other to have a child.

Well, this album is like the love child of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Incubus with perhaps a bit of extra from Faith No More and possibly even going as extreme as that band that wear the killer masks. I wouldn't want to involved in that foursome but here we are.

At times funky, then raucous. Then tuneful, followed by anarchic. With a few skits inbetween. It was even harder than any previous albums to give a view track by track as it seems to be unavailable anywhere other than expensive CD or youtube. It's not even listed as an album on Youtube Music when they actually do have albums listed there. Perhaps it's all just an elaborate joke and there's a secret track at the end where four bands all start playing their own music at the same time.

Just try playing a Peppers song at the same time as an Incubus song. While they're playing, stick on a bit of Faith No More and then finally see if you can cope with the band where all the band members where masks. What are they called? Altogether? Forget it. One after the other? I can dig that. I might have to listen to another album of theirs just to see if there are any other influences. Perhaps Bob Marley could get involved?

7/10.

14 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I think you are talking to yourself man.

Ha, it's my turn. Well, in that case here we go then...

I almost selected this last time but went with Duran Duran in the end. This is very different. Anderson .Paak appears on lots of other artists albums (namely hip hop artists like Eminem, The Game and Kendrick Lamaar amongst others) but I didn't realise he had quite an extensive range of his own albums.

The best one I've listened to in it's entirety is 'Malibu'. So guess what? Here it is...

ml4Ts2OtsiR8g7xFYi7_JJbtN-GP-4ulZ05R6exG

SPOTIFY: https://open.spotify.com/album/6xNFuLOko8gjxi5kUAyGyM?si=vCAnlfomThC_vfkZTeztuw

YOUTUBE: https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nXVuy4mPuHlH_wwOHzo8D4HiyEXHJDUfs

Infectious Grooves

This is Suicidal Tendencies isn't it.

First tune - not my favorite

Second tune - nice - like the talk box, does sound like the Seinfeld riff in there

Third Tune - best so far, got some Prince in the synth hits. Harp solo is good. Like this one.

Fourth Tune - not for me - the singy parts are a little to melodic for the vocalist and the other section just sounds like a Kiedis rap. It always sounds like the singer can't quite hit the notes.

Fifth Tune - the riff before the breakdown sounds like Living Colour - I like the breakdown more than the chorus.

Sixth Tune - not for me

Seventh Tune - good chewy guitar intro - I do like how the guitar player uses muted staccato wah on some of these tunes - not sure I buy into the ska section 

Eighth Tune - yes, do like.

Ninth Tune - think they are just filling up space here. 

Tenth Tune - the vocalist sounds better in the first section - second section sounds like someone practicing Van Halen licks playing along with the record. Love the guy making froggy sounds behind the minister is gettin sinister part. Froggy sounds!

Eleventh Tune - I like the sound of this track - got the wah, the vocals are in his range - some good wiggly worm synth in there - funk guitar w congas. Thats always nice.

No comment on the comic sections - sounds forced.

Some nice grooves and sounds on this.              7.15 out of 11

• Upvote 2