You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands

Bjornebye

Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Best Of The Big Brit-Pop Bands

Never Oasis, utter garbage, The rest I found myself listening to, but in the main never really digging. 

For me - cos I had other things than pop in the late 80's and 90's to be in to - I'd have to say the Lightning Seeds. Not sure if they count as British Popular music of the 90's, but I thought they were half alright. 

I actually hate the term Britpop, it was an easy label for a hell of a lot of music around at the time; some of it great, some good and even the not so good was alright compared to some of the stuff around today.

Whilst you had the easily pigeonholed bands like Blur, OCS, Suede etc, you also had the likes of Marion, Skunk Anansie, Gomez, Ash, Divine Comedy, even the likes of The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers all bringing something different to the table.

I was 20 in 1994 and it felt like I was attending at least one gig a week, it was a good time music wise, but then every generation says that don't they?

• Upvote 2

I actually hate the term Britpop, it was an easy label for a hell of a lot of music around at the time; some of it great, some good and even the not so good was alright compared to some of the stuff around today.

Whilst you had the easily pigeonholed bands like Blur, OCS, Suede etc, you also had the likes of Marion, Skunk Anansie, Gomez, Ash, Divine Comedy, even the likes of The Prodigy and Chemical Brothers all bringing something different to the table.

I was 20 in 1994 and it felt like I was attending at least one gig a week, it was a good time music wise, but then every generation says that don't they?

Britpop I agree is a lazy bollocks label. Some really good stuff in the 90s and shite too (like any era). However on topic I will say I think Blur are still v underrated - seen them a few times and good times

You are absolutely right about the invented genres and it's probably the fault of the NME and others for that.

I still see at least one band a week on average though. Loads of great live stuff still available if you make the effort.

I never understood what made a band Brit Pop, they were all so different musically. Pulp were really a political band. Oasis were just a couple of lads on a council estate that listened to Beatles albums non stop. Suede were more like Roxy Music on steroids. What happened to Babybird? Did Cornershop miss the boat? Were Babylon Zoo Brit Pop? Were Chumbawumba, if Pulp were?

What about the Anti Christ incarnate Embrace?

They get some slating but if you go back to that 'Britpop' thing, you'll be hard pushed to find a better song than Grassman by Dodgy.

I never listen to any of it anymore, I liked Blur at the time & always thought Pulp were shite. The only albums I go back and listen to from the mid 90s are Amorica by The Black Crowes & Second Coming by The Stone Roses & neither of them were anything like 'Britpop'.

They were the 5 biggest selling. Shed Seven had 1 good song. Elastica I do like but against them 5 no way.

The most negworthy comment I've seen on this site. 1 great song? You should spend less time deepthroating Liam and get into their back catalogue.

They play gigs every year around Christmas and I've seen every single time. They put on a great show, you should check them out.