You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Cricket Thread

A_S

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43580069

I think this young man (and don't forget that is still what he is) realises the gravity of what he has been involved in and is genuinely sorry.

To me he looks a broken man and quite frankly i find it appalling that anyone would take any pleasure from seeing someone so utterly publicly destroyed.  

Utterly destroyed, or held to account?

And, yes, it's always great to see cheats exposed and punished - absolutely fucking joyous. You pay money to watch a fair contest, and you applaud the victors (and slag off England when they screw up), and believe they won through greater talent and application. Fucking boo-hoo, publicly acclaimed sportsman receives public backlash for cheating. Poor lamb, what's he going to do for the next year of his ban? He will do what US celebrities do, have his epiphany and come back even more self righteous and pious than before. I will always remember his glee when fucking over Bairstow in public. He's a massive quim.

• Upvote 3

I don't see anyone taking any pleasure from anyone or anything involved in this situation mate. Cricket was the loser.

He does appear genuinely sorry, would he have been as sorry if they weren't caught though?

In all likelihood mate no, he would not have been sorry if he had not been caught.

The point i was making is that he has been caught, realised the level of his stupidity and is genuinely sorry as a consequence. 

What i find distasteful is the public rejoicing of so many in his demise. He is a young man who has made a monumental mistake. 

In all likelihood mate no, he would not have been sorry if he had not been caught.

The point i was making is that he has been caught, realised the level of his stupidity and is genuinely sorry as a consequence. 

What i find distasteful is the public rejoicing of so many in his demise. He is a young man who has made a monumental mistake.

I've not seen anyone 'rejoicing' in his demise.

Utterly destroyed, or held to account?

And, yes, it's always great to see cheats exposed and punished - absolutely fucking joyous. You pay money to watch a fair contest, and you applaud the victors (and slag off England when they screw up), and believe they won through greater talent and application. Fucking boo-hoo, publicly acclaimed sportsman receives public backlash for cheating. Poor lamb, what's he going to do for the next year of his ban? He will do what US celebrities do, have his epiphany and come back even more self righteous and pious than before. I will always remember his glee when fucking over Bairstow in public. He's a massive quim.

Hard to disagree with any of that.

Who would have guessed that Smith and Warner would be shown up as a pair of cunts?

"And, yes, it's always great to see cheats exposed and punished - absolutely fucking joyous."

2 posts above your last.

Would you disagree?

I wouldn't say it was 'joyous', especially when it tarnishes the sport and a young lad is involved who undoubtedly had pressure put on him/was bullied to cheat. I'd say that's a very poor choice of words.

But I'd like to see all cheats in sport caught and punished.

Would you disagree?

I wouldn't say it was 'joyous', especially when it tarnishes the sport and a young lad is involved who undoubtedly had pressure put on him/was bullied to cheat. I'd say that's a very poor choice of words.

But I'd like to see all cheats in sport caught and punished.

I take your point about 'joyous', not for the damage it's done to the game but for another 'role model', pious conman getting caught out. That is good for the game. The dishonesty already took place, so the game was already tarnished. The response in Australia has been brilliant, unlike that of the men involved. As for Bancroft, he's 25, not a kid. He's got a degree, played first class cricket for years, and is not naive. 

• Upvote 2

I take your point about 'joyous', not for the damage it's done to the game but for another 'role model', pious conman getting caught out. That is good for the game. The dishonesty already took place, so the game was already tarnished. The response in Australia has been brilliant, unlike that of the men involved. As for Bancroft, he's 25, not a kid. He's got a degree, played first class cricket for years, and is not naive.

I completely agree about wanting all cheats caught and punished.

Bancroft acted like a dick, no arguments and he should be rightfully punished. However, he's the pup of the team, he only has 8 caps, there's a reason he was asked to be the one that cheated. Any person that young or inexperienced if you prefer would feel intimidated and under pressure. Should he have spoken out? Of fucking course. Is it understandable he went along with it when asked by his Captain and Vice Captain, worrying about his international career if he said no? Again, of fucking course it is.

Very different situations but having been part of whistleblowing situations through work, there are people who get bullied and coerced into acting in a way they otherwise would not. They need to be punished to set an example but it needs to be proportionate compared to those that planned and bullied others.

A 6 month ban for Bancroft would have equated to an ODI series and 2 low profile tests iirc, that would have been sufficient in my view.

• Upvote 1

I completely agree about wanting all cheats caught and punished.

Bancroft acted like a dick, no arguments and he should be rightfully punished. However, he's the pup of the team, he only has 8 caps, there's a reason he was asked to be the one that cheated. Any person that young or inexperienced if you prefer would feel intimidated and under pressure. Should he have spoken out? Of fucking course. Is it understandable he went along with it when asked by his Captain and Vice Captain, worrying about his international career if he said no? Again, of fucking course it is.

Very different situations but having been part of whistleblowing situations through work, there are people who get bullied and coerced into acting in a way they otherwise would not. They need to be punished to set an example but it needs to be proportionate compared to those that planned and bullied others.

A 6 month ban for Bancroft would have equated to an ODI series and 2 low profile tests iirc, that would have been sufficient in my view.

I respect your opinion of Bancroft's dilemma. The thing that nags me about the naive, bullied youth is just how confident and savvy he was in front of the camera when he hung Bairstow out to dry. You're presenting a much more temperate and balanced view than me, I will admit!

• Upvote 3

I respect your opinion of Bancroft's dilemma. The thing that nags me about the naive, bullied youth is just how confident and savvy he was in front of the camera when he hung Bairstow out to dry. You're presenting a much more temperate and balanced view than me, I will admit!

It's probably easier as he isn't such a massive cunt as Warner.

I found Lehmanns comments very damning of Warner.

It's probably easier as he isn't such a massive cunt as Warner.

I found Lehmanns comments very damning of Warner.

It does look like Warner went from being a nasty, violent drunk to a sober, vindictive manipulator. He's cast adrift now, and I wonder if his ego can take this without him lashing out and taking a few people down with him.

That presser with Smith was brutal to watch.

I can’t stand the cunt but him talking about the impact on his dad was heartbreaking. Then I remembered he wasn’t admitting to anything he was talking because he’d been found out. Just like those athletes caught drug taking. Just fuck off.

• Upvote 2

The Aussie lads on here are absolutely sound, but fuck the players.

Zero sympathy for any of them snivelling away in front of the cameras.

This.

We all gathered around the TV down here yesterday to watch Smith cry.

Yeah, it felt genuine there for a bit and I'd be lying if the flawed soft cunt in me didn't feel for the boy somewhat.

I'm old enough to be his father, and I have kids that make mistakes - so how couldn't I feel for him, and even more, his Dad?

But I couldn't help but think, eventually - when it went on a bit too long and looked more and more choreographed - that it was ultimately more self-serving and even crocodilian, than genuinely remorseful.

Mistakes can be forgiven, of course, but like any crime, you have to do the time, and then prove yourself trustworthy all over again.

Australia might eventually be arsed giving a shite about Smith again - not Warner I think - but will I?  Meh.

I think Warner will, much sooner than later, be the tabloid whistleblower - manufactured or otherwise - of misdeeds going back further than Cape Town. 

It's the way of things nowadays.  We'll crave the further exposition of scandal to feed our outrage.

The twitter handles will be perpetually a-smoke.

It's just not - even close to anymore - cricket.

• Upvote 2

I must just be one of life’s suckers, I took absolutely no enjoyment from that, horrible to see. I actually quite like Smith, from what I’ve read the general consensus is that he’s a good guy.

Anyone who took enjoyment from that could be more than reasonably classed, I think, a cunt.

• Upvote 2