You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

For this Election, it's a wasted vote.

I myself voted Green in the last election for the local vote. I like Lucas and what she stands for, which isn't too far from Corbyn and a lot of his values.

To be fair, in my constituency a vote for Labour is a wasted vote as well.

The Greens are supporting a second referendum and remaining in the single market. Corbyn isn't.

The second referendum is a nice idea, but neither the Greens or the Lib Dems will get enough seats to influence anything. So certainly on the Lib Dems part it's an opportunistic vote grab that they know they can't deliver. Not that they've ever been concerned about delivering promises like. 

I'm not asking you to re-listen to the only source you seem to accept, which is a Sam Harris podcast. I'm saying read about the American interception of the ICBM the other day. Read about the UK missile defence systems. The Aster system we've got at sea. This stuff is already a thing of the past, the US are developing laser weapons and 360 degree laser shields, that's where the technology is heading and it may be a reality by as early as 2020. 

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/17/politics/us-air-force-laser-fighter-jet-weapons-research/?iid=ob_lockedrail_topeditorial&iref=obnetwork

How about talking about the Naylor report and the Tories trying to flog off the NHS? Or the thousands dead because of ATOS and the benefit cuts? Or the 1% public sector pay freeze? Or threatening to walk away from Brexit negotiations with no deal (economically crippling the country)? Or taking the equity out of a home of a dementia sufferer? Or being worried about bringing back fox hunting when there's 1.4m people on food banks? Or the bedroom tax? Or scrapping housing benefit to 18-21 year olds? Or £9000 a year tuition fees leaving students in £50,000 worth of debt by the time they enter the work force? Or the cuts to state schools and syphoning funds off into private schools? Or scrapping bursaries for nurses at a time when we need British nurses more than ever with Brexit looming? Or Cameron causing Brexit in the first place? Or the stasi style regulation of the internet? Or the snoopers charter? Or trying to hack whatsapp messages (because they're one of the few encrypted forms of communication left) in a world where they can already hack your social media accounts, emails, internet usage, texts and even your smart tv? What about the Tories shelving funding of green energy? Or scrapping child poverty targets? Or 50,000 people losing their adapted vehicles in the benefits shake up? Or scrapping the independent living fund for severely disabled people that allowed them to live with their families at home rather than in care homes? 

No, you're worried about some fictitious attack by North Korea and some shit that happened 30 years ago with the IRA when Corbyn was trying to broker a peace deal. You need to get your priorities in order mate because they're all out of whack.

Can you read? I've already said defence isn't a priority for me. But for some it is.

I've got my priorities, they are just different to yours. As far as I can telll you aren't espousing total equality so you're prepared to accept some people will have a shitter time than others.

Point scoring is for meffs.

You what? I'm pointing out that there are significant differences between the Greens and Momentum-controlled Labour.

The second referendum is a nice idea, but neither the Greens or the Lib Dems will get enough seats to influence anything. So certainly on the Lib Dems part it's an opportunistic vote grab that they know they can't deliver. Not that they've ever been concerned about delivering promises like.

So someone shouldn't advocate nice ideas because they may be unable to implement them in the near future?

Sparkling logic there.

Also loving how a pro-EU party supporting pro-EU policies that will appeal to pro-EU voters is an opportunistic vote grab, as opposed to, say, an entirely natural stance to take.

You what? I'm pointing out that there are significant differences between the Greens and Momentum-controlled Labour.

So someone shouldn't advocate nice ideas because they may be unable to implement them in the near future?

Sparkling logic there.

Also loving how a pro-EU party supporting pro-EU policies that will appeal to pro-EU voters is an opportunistic vote grab, as opposed to, say, an entirely natural stance to take.

Yeah the logic is akin to me saying you should be a billionaire. Nice idea I won't be able to implement. It means nothing. Vote for me though.

Does a second referendum not make a mockery of democracy?

We don't like the original vote so let's do it again.

It's not just about doing a second referendum to stay or leave. The main point is that when a deal to leave the EU has been finalised, there's then a referendum on whether or not the people agree to the terms. Along with that plan would be an option to reject the whole thing and stay. So it's not just about wanting a rerun of the original referendum.

Not sure how another democratic vote would make a mockery of democracy.

Maybe we should do away with general elections too after this one, so they can't alter the results of previous elections?

Anyway, even if you acknowledge the legitimacy of the first referendum, the point of a second referendum is that it gives you a say on the final deal which, at this present moment in time, we haven't got a clue about.

You wouldn't book a holiday at the travel agent with no idea of when or where you were going, or how you would get there, with all details to be decided on the whim of the travel agent. That would be insane.

Sparkling logic there.

Erm, you don't need to do that. Whopper. 

Might be lost on a libdem supporter the merits of democracy when they promise no tuition fees then join up with the tories to vote it through once they'd sucked up enough gullible peoples blood to give them any actual power. Doing backroom deals rather than respecting the actual outcome of an election.

Not sure how another democratic vote would make a mockery of democracy.

Maybe we should do away with general elections too after this one, so they can't alter the results of previous elections?

Anyway, even if you acknowledge the legitimacy of the first referendum, the point of a second referendum is that it gives you a say on the final deal which, at this present moment in time, we haven't got a clue about.

You wouldn't book a holiday at the travel agent with no idea of when or where you were going, or how you would get there, with all details to be decided on the whim of the travel agent. That would be insane.

That travel agency. Is it run by Nick Clegg?

You'd be asking for a second referendum had remain win the vote?

General elections and referendums aren't the same thing. One is a one off type of thing the other is every few years.

Turn those machines back on!

Sparkling logic there.

Well seeing as you're called the democrats, respecting democracy should be a perfectly natural stance to take. But that didn't stop you did it?

Well seeing as you're called the democrats, respecting democracy should be a perfectly natural stance to take. But that didn't stop you did it?

Who isn't respecting democracy? We want to give the people more democracy. At least if they know what the final deal is, they'll be able to make an informed choice, rather than an ignorant one.

Who isn't respecting democracy? We want to give the people more democracy. At least if they know what the final deal is, they'll be able to make an informed choice, rather than an ignorant one.

giphy.gif

"Here, vote for a second time. Oh you voted leave again. Here, try it a third time. We're giving you more democracy"

....but if you dont get the answer from the public you like you will just rerun the vote anyway it do a deal.

When did the libdems give the public a vote on if they wanted a condem coalition?

You only support democracy when it suits you.

You want a referendum rerun because remain lost but wouldn't advocate a rerun in a month of Sunday's had remain won.

You want a vote on the final deal agreed but not on the final condem coalition backroom deal to govern the country without ever consulting anyone or putting it in their manifesto before finishing third.

Your party helped the tories into power and shored them up to get their numbers up to get their laws in and then complain about a referendum they implemented off the back of the power that YOUR PARTY gave them.

You have only yourself to blame as for the situation the brass neck on you.

No it's not, I just wanted to remind people that he's a fucking horrible bloke.

No you are the horrible bloke smearing someone, i.e me by making out I claim Sandy hook never happened despite that never occurring ever.

You've repeated it several times in here despite me never having said it even insinuated that.

From now on I'm raising the misrepresentation level to demonstrate to you that I can also play that game and just make stuff up by calling you a nonce.

Remember when Rico said he likes to take children up the arse?

• Upvote 2