You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

May calls General Election on 8 June

jimmycase

Well there's absolutely no way that giving a referendum on the terms of any EU deal isn't democratic. Saying that the original vote isn't respected if there's the option to reject and then remain I can understand.

If you're going down the road of real democracy though there'd be mechanisms in place right across the EU to enter and leave as and when a country votes on it, if that was wanted. If it was that could be done regularly, or at least as regularly as elections. So you could have say, an election for your favourite party then maybe an added option of something like "Will this term of parliament be carried out inside or outside the EU?"

Obviously that wouldn't be easy, but if that's what was wanted it'd be the most democratic option.

"Here, vote for a second time. Oh you voted leave again. Here, try it a third time. We're giving you more democracy"

You seem awfully worried about the outcome of a second referendum.

Anyway, just to remind you, democracy has never been about voting to set things in stone forever.

I've got no problem with the idea of a second referendum seeing as a lot of people were fed shite about it, and the people who led us to it didn't actually seem to want it either and clearly think it'll be a disaster, save for Farage whose picture is currently adorning the wall of FBI headquarters.

• Upvote 2

Teresa May is a fucking whispy haired dug up cunt, whose mouth movements make Gordon Brown come across as an eloquent fucking bastard.

But can you reassure Rico that the North Koreans are not about to launch an assault on his house?

• Upvote 1

No its about implementing the things people vote for.

So when we are finally out of the eu we can then have a second referendum. You can have that until you respect and implement what people have voted for in the first place. Otherwise every vote on everything is meaningless since nothing would actually get implemented we would just rerun every vote into infinity.

Its fun explaining things to a simpleton.

I've got no problem with the idea of a second referendum seeing as a lot of people were fed shite about it, and the people who led us to it didn't actually seem to want it either and clearly think it'll be a disaster, save for Farage whose picture is currently adorning the wall of FBI headquarters.

If people voted to take the final deal, despite knowing the £350m for the NHS thing/Turkey's about to join the EU/etc were total lies and that our economy would be fucked for decades, then I don't think anyone wouldn't respect that result. The people would have spoken very clearly on the matter. Although the best of us would certainly be emigrating.

You seem awfully worried about the outcome of a second referendum.

Anyway, just to remind you, democracy has never been about voting to set things in stone forever.

I'm not worried at all. I can see the positives for remain and the positives for leave, so i'm nonchalant about it. I just think if we live in a democracy the will of the people is paramount. You ask the people to decide, and they have. If you ask them again and again because you don't like the answer then it's a dictatorship masquerading as a democracy, not a true democracy. 

It's like your mum and dad splitting up and asking who you want to live with, your dad saying he's just bought​ an ice cream machine and hired Marjorie from game of thrones as a babysitter, then when you agree to go with him he says 'fuck, didn't think you'd choose me I was just trying to piss her off, none of that was true and - on top of that - I don't know where we're even going to live.'

I wasn't that arsed either way personally, but in terms of looking at things from an unbiased point of view, never in my lifetime has such a big decision with so many implications been based so squarely on misinformation and disingenuous bullshit.

• Upvote 1

I'm not worried at all. I can see the positives for remain and the positives for leave, so i'm nonchalant about it. I just think if we live in a democracy the will of the people is paramount. You ask the people to decide, and they have. If you ask them again and again because you don't like the answer then it's a dictatorship masquerading as a democracy, not a true democracy.

Nobody's asking them to vote "again and again". They already voted to leave the EU. Nobody is disputing this. However they did not vote on what kind of Brexit they wanted. We will be giving them that choice.

No you are the horrible bloke smearing someone, i.e me by making out I claim Sandy hook never happened despite that never occurring ever.

You've repeated it several times in here despite me never having said it even insinuated that.

From now on I'm raising the misrepresentation level to demonstrate to you that I can also play that game and just make stuff up by calling you a nonce.

Remember when Rico said he likes to take children up the arse?

Wind your fucking neck in 

Just had a phone call from a company canvassing on behalf of the Tories asking

How likely am I to vote ? Well that would be a ten as I've never missed any chance to vote

How likely am I to vote Tory on a scale of 0 to 10 I said is it possible to give a negative rating I would

The woman sounded very Grand so I asked could I ask a question yes she said

Are you phoning from Cchq no was the answer

She then asked if my answers could be shared with Cchq by all means I said but if you could find her then that would be outstanding work by this point she was laughing just a little bit .

People have a right to change their minds. They do it regularly at general elections .

It's ludicrous to say that Brexit is forever when none knew the terms and consequences of leaving. Once the outcome is clear another vote is not only desirable it will be essential if the issue is ever to be settled the country reconciled, Similarly the Scots will undoubtedly get another vote on Independence . I have no time for people that come out with this will of the people crap because it suits their purposes to railroad through a hard Brexit

when it's clearly against the interests of the vast majority of the people even if millions of them are too stupid or prejudiced to realise it. An advisory referendum hijacked to to suit the interests of the few

• Upvote 1

People have a right to change their minds. They do it regularly at general elections .

It's ludicrous to say that Brexit is forever when none knew the terms and consequences of leaving. Once the outcome is clear another vote is not only desirable it will be essential if the issue is ever to be settled the country reconciled, Similarly the Scots will undoubtedly get another vote on Independence . I have no time for people that come out with this will of the people crap because it suits their purposes to railroad through a hard Brexit

when it's clearly against the interests of the vast majority of the people even if millions of them are too stupid or prejudiced to realise it. An advisory referendum hijacked to to suit the interests of the few

I understand your stance on it and respect it. I just can't be arsed stirring up that hornets nest again. People died the first time around. MP's would need to be on 24 hour watch for their own safety. It would be much more impassioned than the first time around because the media has gone about it non stop for the last year. I don't have the appetite to see the country divided again and seeing people dying because of it.

Not only that, it's cheating the leave voters out of a democratic victory and that will incense them. That's not going to stop after the referendum either. Say if remain win a second time. It's only going to push a lot of those 17 million people towards the ultra right because their voice is being ignored. We'll end up with a Trump style leader or some other right wing nutcase attaining power. No thank you.

• Upvote 1

Just had a phone call from a company canvassing on behalf of the Tories asking

How likely am I to vote ? Well that would be a ten as I've never missed any chance to vote

How likely am I to vote Tory on a scale of 0 to 10 I said is it possible to give a negative rating I would

The woman sounded very Grand so I asked could I ask a question yes she said

Are you phoning from Cchq no was the answer

She then asked if my answers could be shared with Cchq by all means I said but if you could find her then that would be outstanding work by this point she was laughing just a little bit .

But did you have PPI John? 

Yeah, god forbid we end up with a right wing nutcase in power.

Oh wait...

I mean someone like Paul Nuttall, who advocates throwing 30,00 muslims in prison without trial, even though they haven't committed a crime. That's his starting position. Can you imagine what year 5 will look like under Nuttall if his starting position is the gestapo?