You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

2 hours ago, dave u said:

I'd say that's an absolute certainty. In fact, I read something recently from one of our former youngsters who left (I forget who) and he was talking about playing against all the big names in training sessions and he casually referenced he played against a midfield three that included Trent. So they have definitely looked at it and for them to have never tried it even in cup games suggests they've not liked what they've seen.

I may be misremembering but I believe Klopp played him in midfield in a league game against Chelsea at some point. 

Trent becomes a problem when the system isn't working as it should. Trent only knows how to play Kloppball. All his senior football has been under Klopp, no bad thing as it's 90 plus point football at it's best and he was a key factor far more than any traditional rb would have been.

We basically play a more mobile Beckham/Ward Prowse at rightback. I suspect him in midfield he would be an average player closer to Ward Prowse with moments of excellence. Southgate actually made the right decision not to use him for England not because Tripper is better but because he uses a different system.

I don't buy the Trent is lazy or lacks concentration any more than any other player he's just playing how he has been coached to play. Although all the talk about him clearly knocked his confidence and he was doubting himself. Hopefully he can deliver for us tonight because we all know he is capable of producing some magic. 

The way we have played under Klopp our midfield is all about intensity and pressing. Never seen anything that makes me think Trent would improve us in those departments. 

I understand people think his passing and vision could make him a good midfielder. Of course those attributes would be welcome in midfield, but at full back in our system he’s got a better overview and not least more time and space to pick his passes.

To get the best out of him attacking wise I reckon he should stay at full back as long as we dont change the way we play completely.

• 4 weeks later...

I've said it in the match thread, but I think he's done as a Premier League player!

He can't defend, he's become incredibly lazy at chasing back, and his main weapon (his passing) has gone to shit!

Too much too young maybe, and maybe (hopefully) he'll prove me wrong and come back stronger, but personally I think we've had the best of him.

Something is seriously wrong with him. He's either got a lot going on in his personal life or he's lost all appetite for the game.

He must be the player who loses the ball the most in our team and I'm sick of seeing him drilling it into touch which must be happening at least a dozen times a game. His defending this season has been awful but his attacking play has not been much better.

At the very least he needs dropping but there has to be question marks as to whether he can get back to the level he was at. A right back in the summer has to be one of the priorities.

8 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Getting worried about him now.

Every game he's doing things that are at an unacceptable for a top level player,  whether it's defending, positioning, passing, tracking runners or attitude in general, take your pick.

Oh and corner taking, fucking hell.

Have to admit, he’s boiling my piss this season. He just seems lazy, half arsed and asleep most of the season. 

Robbo hasn’t been as good but you can see Robbo is trying his hardest. Could you say the same about Trent?

That pass he gave, I think Gakpo, early in the first half was the absolute definition of a hospital pass. He had loads of other options as well. He did the exact same against Bournemouth as well. 

I actually thought he defended better last night. He did Ok 1-on-1 against Vinicius and he stopped a certain goal for Benzema but on the ball he was a million miles away from previous levels. 

I have no idea what he was doing before Ali made that world class save from Vinicius. When Kroos crossed the ball he was actually in a perfect position behind Rudiger (I think) but for some fucking reason he takes a few steps forward leaving him on his own. Worse than school boy defending. 

He was simply a lazy fucking ball watching cunt for their goal. Simple as that.

4 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

I have no idea what he was doing before Ali made that world class save from Vinicius. When Kroos crossed the ball he was actually in a perfect position behind Rudiger (I think) but for some fucking reason he takes a few steps forward leaving him on his own. Worse than school boy defending. 

He was simply a lazy fucking ball watching cunt for their goal. Simple as that.

I wonder how many points he's cost us this season. 

The lad looks lost ATM. He hardly ever smiles, he has that same vapid look on his face. 

Fuck me, if I was banging some stunner and was swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style, I'd have the biggest grin on me boat race. 

Anyway, where the fuck is Ramsey? The flaming Gallah. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Have to admit, he’s boiling my piss this season. He just seems lazy, half arsed and asleep most of the season. 

Robbo hasn’t been as good but you can see Robbo is trying his hardest. Could you say the same about Trent?

That pass he gave, I think Gakpo, early in the first half was the absolute definition of a hospital pass. He had loads of other options as well. He did the exact same against Bournemouth as well. 

I actually thought he defended better last night. He did Ok 1-on-1 against Vinicius and he stopped a certain goal for Benzema but on the ball he was a million miles away from previous levels. 

Konate was babysitting him all night against Vinicius & ended up doing most of the work for him.

I've mentioned it before in another thread.

A friend of mine had a conversation with one of the youth team coaches a few months back. He was saying that the club are worried about Trent, his mind is completely away from football most of the time, he's spending too much time on the ale and chasing pussy. They don't know what they can do to get him back on track. 

Quite possibly going to end up as another case of the fame and fortune going to a young players head and never reaching their full potential. 

1 minute ago, Aventus said:

A friend of mine had a conversation with one of the youth team coaches a few months back. He was saying that the club are worried about Trent, his mind is completely away from football most of the time, he's spending too much time on the ale and chasing pussy. They don't know what they can do to get him back on track. 

Quite possibly going to end up as another case of the fame and fortune going to a young players head and never reaching their full potential. 

He's won everything so I wonder if it's lack of motivation?

Since he broke through, he's been lauded and already achieved more than most players ever will but that was playing in a great side with a system that suited him perfectly. I think there are two reasons to explain his form;

1. The hunger/desire has gone. He's mentally switched off and football is no longer where his head is at.

2. The system that allowed him to excel has collapsed and he's incapable of playing any other way effectively.

The only way we see the best of him again is if we can replicate the previous great team/system or he can adapt to playing a different way (which so far he hasn't).

We've seen with Rashford that players of that age can turn it around after a slump, so I wouldn't write him off yet but he needs competition and maybe some time on the bench would do him the world of good.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Would explain things somewhat. The standard of professional football is that high, anything other than 100% dedication can tip the balance from great to poor.

27 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of those let go in the Summer. He's saleable and we need money?

Me neither, wouldn't surprise me if it ended up with both sides being happy he moved on. He'll still have considerable value I assume? How would he do being played as a wingback in Spain?

55 minutes ago, Elite said:

Would explain things somewhat. The standard of professional football is that high, anything other than 100% dedication can tip the balance from great to poor.

He looks about 30% dedication during the games at the moment.

I think something not talked about with Trent that also exposes him at the minute is he had the best front 3 in world football converting the chances he made and making sure they were where they should be or making something out of things where others can’t and wouldn’t.

The defensive frailties and lack of interest without the ball have been there all the way through - it’s just apparent now due to us losing our attacking threat around him and his and everyone else’s collective drop off.

I couldn’t believe the clamour about him not starting for England. If the system isn’t set up for him and the team to attack and press, I’d have Reece James over him all day long as a wing back or right back