You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Trent Alexander Arnold

Arl arse

21 minutes ago, Curly said:

I think something not talked about with Trent that also exposes him at the minute is he had the best front 3 in world football converting the chances he made and making sure they were where they should be or making something out of things where others can’t and wouldn’t.

The defensive frailties and lack of interest without the ball have been there all the way through - it’s just apparent now due to us losing our attacking threat around him and his and everyone else’s collective drop off.

I couldn’t believe the clamour about him not starting for England. If the system isn’t set up for him and the team to attack and press, I’d have Reece James over him all day long as a wing back or right back

Our attackers would have had to be stood by the corner flag last night, such was the quality of his crossing.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

He's won everything so I wonder if it's lack of motivation?

This is where my mind is at with him, lack of motivation and complacency. He knows he can be as shit/turn it in as he wants because there is no one waiting in the wings to take his spot and he'll still be getting picked next game.

I am definitely at the point where I feel it's time to try that midfield experiment full time with him and see what it brings, I guess the current issue is as above though, there is simply no one to play in the hole he leaves currently(Milner and Gomez are neither consistent or as with the latter reliable enough to play in that spot for multiple games).

2 minutes ago, Tenfolder said:

This is where my mind is at with him, lack of motivation and complacency. He knows he can be as shit/turn it in as he wants because there is no one waiting in the wings to take his spot and he'll still be getting picked next game.

I am definitely at the point where I feel it's time to try that midfield experiment full time with him and see what it brings, I guess the current issue is as above though, there is simply no one to play in the hole he leaves currently(Milner and Gomez are neither consistent or as with the latter reliable enough to play in that spot for multiple games).

The no competition things is very valid.

I remember after the Palace game there were calls for him to be dropped, benched whatever for the Wolves game the following mid week and I thought at the time why bother, he'd probably be okay with that knowing  full well he'd be back in for the Utd game.

If he had genuine quality options behind him the threat of being taken out of the team would be more of a kick up the arse as there's more risk his time out gets extended.

I'm not absolving trent from blame, but when we have a fully functioning midfield, he gets the help he needs, and his forward play is unrivalled. The midfield is a bigger issue than trent...... Last time I checked we won every trophy conceivable with him playing at right back, and providing more assists than you could shake a big stick at.... Get legs in midfield and watch him thrive again

• Upvote 1

On 21/02/2023 at 14:32, Denny Crane said:

Trent becomes a problem when the system isn't working as it should. Trent only knows how to play Kloppball. All his senior football has been under Klopp, no bad thing as it's 90 plus point football at it's best and he was a key factor far more than any traditional rb would have been.

We basically play a more mobile Beckham/Ward Prowse at rightback. I suspect him in midfield he would be an average player closer to Ward Prowse with moments of excellence. Southgate actually made the right decision not to use him for England not because Tripper is better but because he uses a different system.

I don't buy the Trent is lazy or lacks concentration any more than any other player he's just playing how he has been coached to play. Although all the talk about him clearly knocked his confidence and he was doubting himself. Hopefully he can deliver for us tonight because we all know he is capable of producing some magic. 

This. Trent is probably the finiest tuniest part of the finely tuned machine that was Klopp's team: a playmaking fullback. If the team functions as it should, we'll be on the front foot, constantly moving the ball around, winning it back up the pitch or getting on the second ball if not, and as such Trent is the man in space and he has the skillset to take advantage. He'll look great when that happens, he fits that team like a glove.

None of that is happening now though, we lose the ball cheaply, get passed through up the field and frequently lose duels and second balls when we do, and so the fullbacks are having to do a bit of everything as they push up to join attacks (as we still have a lot of the ball) but also turn around and defend huge amounts of space as we're turned around super quick. Robbo has a different skillset, he's more of an allrounder and so you could argue he didn't shine as brightly when we were good, but he looks much, much better when we're struggling.

As an aside that's why I was never arsed about the furore over Southgate not picking him. Reece James is like a right footed Robbo in many ways, so I can see why he picked him rather than made Trent his creative fulcrum, as England play completely differently.

Whether we can rebuild with a spine that's capable of dominating in the same way as the VVD/Matip/Fabinho/Hendo/Gini one is the main question for me, followed by how to solve the fact that there's obviously some hunger that's gone from him mixed with a bit of an existential crisis now he's won everything there is to win by the age of 23, but be in a rut of form and under severe, prolonged and deserved criticism for the first time in his career so far.

Another manager would ditch Trent. He's fabulous when Klopp's system is working at it's best. When it's not, Trent gets exposed and I don't see another manager putting up with it. He has to start evolving his game, and I think midfield will be where he eventually ends up.

36 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Dropped from the England squad. 

He really needs to retire from england. He's not going to get in under that clown even though he's not had the best season. All our players should tell their respective countries to fuck off come to think of it.

• Upvote 2

Our system is doing him no favours, there you are Trent, take care of Vinicius and while you're at it can you set up a couple of goals please? Twice last night Mo and Bobby doubled up on him and we won the ball both times, other than that it was Konate offering assistance from a safe distance. Your centre back shouldn't be out at the touchline doubling up, its the job of Mo or the right sided midfielder. Vinicius is faster than him, has bags of skill and is playing at the height of his powers. It's reckless to put in that spot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No7 said:

Our system is doing him no favours, there you are Trent, take care of Vinicius and while you're at it can you set up a couple of goals please? Twice last night Mo and Bobby doubled up on him and we won the ball both times, other than that it was Konate offering assistance from a safe distance. Your centre back shouldn't be out at the touchline doubling up, its the job of Mo or the right sided midfielder. Vinicius is faster than him, has bags of skill and is playing at the height of his powers. It's reckless to put in that spot.

Totally agree. 

It's not like vinicius is some dickhead playing in the championship. He's one of the best players in the world. Everyone knows trent has a hard time with him, so as you rightly pointed out our other right sided players need to be helping trent out, but they didn't. 

I'm genuinely bewildered by Trent this season. 

You can argue, rightfully, that the midfield setup has done him no favours, but his performances cannot just be attributed to that. Professional pride has to come into it as well and, at many times this season, his desire to fight and compete has been absent and his attitude and body language has been appalling. 

How he's been getting picked week after week is mind boggling. Milner and Gomez have turned in better performances this year. In away games, playing Trent at right back is a gift to the opposition. Klopp has to take some responsibility for this situation too. 

And, at the very least, the club has got to bring in genuine competition for him come the summer. That's the only thing I can think of which might help prevent him for phoning it again. Otherwise we should flog him. 

31 minutes ago, Crazy Dave said:

And, at the very least, the club has got to bring in genuine competition for him come the summer. That's the only thing I can think of which might help prevent him for phoning it again. Otherwise we should flog him. 

Living up to your username there, mate.

• Haha 1

On 16/03/2023 at 15:07, niallers said:

He really needs to retire from england. He's not going to get in under that clown even though he's not had the best season. All our players should tell their respective countries to fuck off come to think of it.

He doesn't need to worry about retiring, no England manager will pick him with his current attitude and neither should his club manager.

• Upvote 1

On 16/03/2023 at 12:11, No7 said:

That's also true, but it's not like it's just Vinicius is it? Everyone's having their way with him. 

13 minutes ago, Planet Origi said:

Exactly. He's been shit for ages even going back to last season...should defo be looking to move him on.

Absolutely cannot get on board with this. Madness. The idea should be to sign a right footed Robbo and have Trent move onto the next phase of his career in a new position. If that means tweaking our own system then so be it. Trent is arguably our most talented player. He needs a change to reinvigorate him, not stubbornly persisting in a position that is perfect for us when the going is good, but a disaster when we aren't in good nick. 

36 minutes ago, Chris said:

Absolutely cannot get on board with this. Madness. The idea should be to sign a right footed Robbo and have Trent move onto the next phase of his career in a new position. If that means tweaking our own system then so be it. Trent is arguably our most talented player. He needs a change to reinvigorate him, not stubbornly persisting in a position that is perfect for us when the going is good, but a disaster when we aren't in good nick. 

Right sided Kostas would do too. 

The entirity of our full back set up cost us about 25m in total. Pep has spent more than double that on a single player about 4 times. 

A change to re-invigorate him sounds like a good idea, even if it's not a permanent change of role, a few stints in midfield might light a fire in him like it did for Sadio moving to the centre last season. 

On 16/03/2023 at 14:29, Scott_M said:

Dropped from the England squad. 

Should be dropped from our team on current form never mind England I wouldn’t sell him yet would like to see how he goes in a new look Klopp team with mobile midfielders to convert him 

43 minutes ago, Chris said:

Most talented? I don't think so. A new position where? He constantly loses his bearings at right back, he'll be all at sea in midfield.

What the fuck is this sell him shit

I have been as vocal about his poor performances as anyone on here but fuck even thinking about selling him now.  The whole team has been shit, looks mental and physical.  Assuming we have no Champions League football next year i'm pretty much not letting any of the decent kids or squad players out on loan in the first half of the season and telling the first team players they won't be playing in the group stages of the Europa(assuming we make that) and playing the back ups and kids. The likes of Trent,Virg,Mo etc will benefit playing one game a week after the past few years. If he was as bad next year maybe you look at moving him on but with the whole team being crap no way im selling one of our best players on paper after one bad year

Crazy talk

• Upvote 2