You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I don't think it should be possible to deselect an MP once they gain office unless they have done something criminally wrong or breached rules like on expenses or something until the next election comes along. They have been voted in by their constituents and I don't think a CLP should be able to deselect them when that may not be what the constituents want.

Deselecting someone because they disagree with the leader, or even the membership, is a dangerous route to go down. Corbyn himself voted against Labour policy and the leadership over 200 times when he was a backbencher and I don't think it would be right to have deselected him then either. You can't force MPs to serve in the shadow cabinet and you can't force them to back the leader in a private vote of no confidence.

Maybe, but even if they do it will be half arsed. They currently need over 50 MPs to fill the vacancies unless loads of the roles are doubled up which brings it's own problems.

I personally think he'll win another election but with less support than he had last time and then fuck knows what happens. It's anyone's guess.

Some would say they have been half arsed from day one.

If Corbyn won two mandates within such a short space of time. Not sure their constituents would respect their MPs on taxpayers money acting like spoilt babies.

Some would say they have been half arsed from day one.

If Corbyn won two mandates within such a short space of time. Not sure their constituents would respect their MPs on taxpayers money acting like spoilt babies.

Some will who want him gone and some won't. Doesn't really change anything, they can't get rid of Corbyn and he can't get rid of them. He's not as popular with Labour voters as a whole as he is with members. Didn't the YouGov poll yesterday have his net rating drop from something like +47 to +3? Pretty sure when they surveyed union Members as well it was 50/50 in Unite between those who want him to stay and those who want him to leave and another one, might have been GMB, had more who wanted him to go.

Some will who want him gone and some won't. Doesn't really change anything, they can't get rid of Corbyn and he can't get rid of them. He's not as popular with Labour voters as a whole as he is with members. Didn't the YouGov poll yesterday have his net rating drop from something like +47 to +3? Pretty sure when they surveyed union Members as well it was 50/50 in Unite between those who want him to stay and those who want him to leave and another one, might have been GMB, had more who wanted him to go.

Not suprised his popularity is dropping with all the propaganda it's been relentless.

I was just offering a premise on the basis he wins.

Whilst some will have strong reasons why they won't come back to the shadow cabinet.

He would only need to break bread with less than a third of the rats who jumped ship.

Id hazard a guess some were expecting to be in a new shadow cabinet by now.

Not suprised his popularity is dropping with all the propaganda it's been relentless.

I was just offering a premise on the basis he wins.

Whilst some will have strong reasons why they won't come back to the shadow cabinet.

He would only need to break bread with less than a third of the rats who jumped ship.

Id hazard a guess some were expecting to be in a new shadow cabinet by now.

I agree they were expecting him to be gone by now. Well, most of them anyway I imagine. Some will go back to the shadow cabinet but I think the majority won't. It's full on civil war now and if they can make it difficult for him then they will.

I'm not sure how this works/is enforced but what do people think of bringing in compulsory voting like they have in Australia?

Sounds a bit draconian. How does it work in Oz, and how do they enforce it?

Sounds a bit draconian. How does it work in Oz, and how do they enforce it?

I think it's enforced with a fine if you don't vote ( though I think you can in effect spoil it and not vote for anyone ) but maybe some of the Aussies on here can clarify it?

Just read that at a recent election they had 92% turnout.

I'm not sure how this works/is enforced but what do people think of bringing in compulsory voting like they have in Australia?

In my book, the right to vote must also include the right not to vote.

Good thing too, because in the past few weeks we've seen what happens when those who don't usually vote actually do go out and vote. 

The local members and supporters split into two factions which is probably what will happen if MPs who are likely to be popular with their electorate are sacked and stand as independent Labour.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the old New Labour careerists who were parachuted into safe seats finding out that they don't enjoy widespread local support.  It shouldn't be too difficult for some of the CLPs to find, for example, a respected local Councillor who can be trusted to work for working class communities against austerity.

I'm not saying all 172 should be turfed out, or anything silly like that, but a few of the coup leaders have probably tarnished their own reputations amongst the electorate in their constituencies.

Corbyn in the Daily Mirror.

Britain now faces an economic and political crisis.

Since voters decided to leave the ­European Union, financial markets have been in a tailspin.

Threats to living standards have grown. The Prime Minister has announced his resignation, the country is divided and the Government is in disarray.

George Osborne has finally had to agree to ditch his job-destroying plan for a budget surplus, as Labour has been demanding.

But Tory ministers have no EU exit plan. Instead, they are threatening to make working people pay for their ­failures, with more spending cuts

and tax rises.

What’s needed now is leadership and a clear plan.

We must respect the democratic ­decision of the British people – and negotiate a new relationship with the EU.

READ MORE

Jeremy Corbyn to offer MPs a peace deal in 11th hour survival plan

That has to be one that’s based on fair immigration rules, that protects jobs, living standards and workers’ rights and ensures we have the freedom to shape our own economy for the future.

The need to respect democracy also goes for the Labour Party.

I was elected nine months ago, by 60 per cent of Labour members and supporters, for a new kind of politics in a country that clearly wants real change.

During that time, Labour has ­repeatedly forced the Government to drop damaging policies, won every by-election with an increased share of the vote, and beaten the Tories in May’s local elections.

And in the EU referendum, while the country narrowly voted to leave, two thirds of Labour voters backed our call for a remain vote.

I am ready to reach out to Labour MPs who didn’t accept my election and oppose my leadership – and work with the whole party to provide the alternative the country needs.

But they also need to respect the democracy of our party and the views of Labour’s membership, which has increased by more than 60,000 in the past week alone.

Our priority must be to mobilise this incredible force to oppose the Tories, and ensure people in Britain have a real political alternative.

That is my priority and always will be as leader of our party.

Those who want to challenge my leadership are free to do so in a democratic contest, in which I will be a candidate.

But the responsibility of our whole party is to stand up in united opposition to the Tory Government – and in support of decent jobs and pay, affordable housing, rights at work and an economy that works for all.

It’s not just our own supporters who need Labour to work together.

The whole country needs Labour to heal the divisions of the referendum campaign and offer a winning alternative to the Tories at the next election – ­whenever it comes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-exclusively-reveals-hes-8335834

If anybody is following the social media output today?

Corbyn has come out fighting and about fucking time.

Fight fire with fire and show the Blairite rats for what they really are.

Anybody else going to the conference?

Not inside, but I'm sure I'll be hanging around in one capacity or another (if only on the "Save Liverpool Women's Hospital" march).

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-exclusively-reveals-hes-8335834

In the comments underneath. You get around SD.

6BB580B9-B7BE-4659-A2B8-6DA77F38C006_zps

Bit awkward for the Mirror that, they had a front page last week calling for him to go, plus editorials.  Corbyn I mean, not Stronts.  Even Paul Routledge called for him to stand down and if anybody calls Routledge a Blairite I really will die laughing.

Bit awkward for the Mirror that, they had a front page last week calling for him to go, plus editorials.  Corbyn I mean, not Stronts.  Even Paul Routledge called for him to stand down and if anybody calls Routledge a Blairite I really will die laughing.

Could we have a no confidence vote against Stronts? Can we get him to go?