You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can we help get back the Anfield atmosphere?

Mil-ing Around

Can't the club work out a way of putting friends together as I'm sure that would be the first thing that would improve the atmosphere as people feel less self conscious around mates than strangers. I recon if you moved the "singing section" lower down the Kop that may encourage others to join in.

Dropping the ticket prices so more rambunctious youngsters can get in would help too. Standing would help as well but I think it'll be very difficult for the club to ever bring this in because of the issues around Hillsborough (though that occurred due to terrible -nae make that illegal- crowd control).

Cutting out the booming P.A. prior to the start of the match would help build a hubbub, which in turn is more conducive conditions for singing.

People have to remember though that on the whole there is a lot less singing in society at large so people are less inclined to do something they don't do regularly.

• Upvote 1

If there is to be a section of the ground where a better atmosphere is to be encouraged it has to be the kop. The only way of doing this is either threaten people at knifepoint to sing or create a space in the middle where people who buy tickets know there is an expectation to sing.

Whatever is done, this or getting mates sat together, standing areas or whatever will mean season ticket holders being moved.

6000 £25 kop tickets sold at the ticket office will help get more locals to games which long term helps the club and is good PR.

This is the ideal time to do it, a new manager and additional tickets becoming available in the main stand. 

Of course the way it was, a standing kop, succesful team and ale is the real answer

I remember Old Man Dangerously telling me about an away day in the 80s, I forget which club, but apparently we were playing awfully and the atmosphere was shite and some meathead produced a knife and said "Next time I turn round if anyone isn't singing Ill stab you, I mean it!"

The atmosphere picked up accordingly.

Another one of Souness injury lay offs!

If there is to be a section of the ground where a better atmosphere is to be encouraged it has to be the kop. The only way of doing this is either threaten people at knifepoint to sing or create a space in the middle where people who buy tickets know there is an expectation to sing.

Whatever is done, this or getting mates sat together, standing areas or whatever will mean season ticket holders being moved.

6000 £25 kop tickets sold at the ticket office will help get more locals to games which long term helps the club and is good PR.

This is the ideal time to do it, a new manager and additional tickets becoming available in the main stand.

Of course the way it was, a standing kop, succesful team and ale is the real answer

Problem is that the majority of the new tickets in the main stand will be corporate tickets.

Bum the season ticket holders until they're really sorry for being the cause of the bad atmosphere the Jeremy Corbyn looking old fucks. Bum them right in their arl arses! Then take their pensions and give them to young'ns to buy tickets and sweeties with.

It's quite the strange thread.

• Upvote 1

I wish they would allow flares and pyros into the ground. Never understood why all the other leagues have them but here they are a hazard. Remember a few years ago at Fulham away. Fucking amazing!

58e080da3ab662e1545df5d74887b153.jpg

79454aec424ca8061a8b9557370dc41f.jpg

Purpleshite behaviour, that. Flares are for wankers. No amount of smoke is going to make up for a lack of noise.

A lot of our better songs are too long to be easily singable - especially when the few who do sing all have different ideas of the right words and tempo.

We need decent, inventive and catchy songs about our current players. (It's not so long since we managed this with Luis Garcia, Maxi, etc.) But then, it's much easier and cooler to slag players off than to come up with a song.

It's quite the strange thread.

Not really, nobody is having a go at season ticket holders and nobody is saying people should be forced to sing. It's just some ideas on how to get a bit of an atmosphere going. Don't worry, I'm sure the club have very little intention of changing anything.

In terms of songs, a good first step would be for the club to stop buying players whose names don't rhyme with anything - Mignolet, Lallana, Firmino, Moreno, Lovren etc

A second step would be to stop buying obscenely rich lads in their mid 20s who have silly tattoos, daft haircuts, terrible taste in football boots and who will leave the second they can get more money.

• Upvote 4

Just remove season tickets full stop. First come first served on all tickets. It'd remove any sense of entitlement and it'll make being at the ground more meaningful.

Yep, complete lethargy around people who feel they 'own' a fucking seat at Anfield.

Problem is that the club NEED that gust of income at the beginning of each season, it pump-primes a lot of things I'd imagine. It's around £19m+ or around that, with 20,000 STH and an average price of £869.

But there needs to be an intervention, because quite obviously the 'product' isn't stimulating enough for STHs. And maybe it's because they're thinking about what else they could have spent £869 on. If that's the case then you have to be honest with yourself and admit you can't afford it. Prices are only going to rise, and your enjoyment level can only lower as a result. Christ, Ibe would have to score a hat-trick of overhead kicks to send them home buzzing.

As a ST holder (share) the people that sit around me think they own the fucking place. They act like it's a privilege for them to give me a nod hello. To chat about the game is a distant hope, they would never talk to someone who's only been there for 2 years. And they rarely sing or look remotely happy. (old fuckers in the main )

If I sit elsewhere on the kop the majority are freindly, strangers happily chat away about the game or whatever. But the royalty of ST holders? row after row of silent al cunts acting like they are in the fucking illuminati cos they once sorted someone a ticket for Blackburn away.

• Upvote 7

In terms of songs, a good first step would be for the club to stop buying players whose names don't rhyme with anything - Mignolet, Lallana, Firmino, Moreno, Lovren etc

Usher has been banging the drum for Lallana to the tune of Can't Get You Out of my Head.

Also, before the semi last season one of the pubs near Wembley was jumping to an Emre Can song to the tune of The Music Man.

We need more of this.

You need to have something to sing about. I tell you what blows my mind though - how many people don't know the words to Poor Scouse Tommy. To me, it's "the" Koppite song of my youth - and fucking boss too - but it fades away all the time.

• Upvote 1

You need to have something to sing about.

Shit clubs manage alright. Fuck, I've even sung Mario Fantastico, despite knowing from the start that he was a complete waste of a shirt.

Still, it does feel difficult at times to raise a tune. I think James were right when they said "if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor. "

• Upvote 1

Shit clubs manage alright. Fuck, I've even sung Mario Fantastico, despite knowing from the start that he was a complete waste of a shirt.

Still, it does feel difficult at times to raise a tune. I think James were right when they said "if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor. "

We're not a shit club though. We're too spoilt for that.