You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How can we help get back the Anfield atmosphere?

Mil-ing Around

Clear a block of 6,000 or so seats in the middle of the kop. Write to season ticket holders telling them that they will be moved elsewhere on the kop or in the ground. Put those tickets up for sale at the ticket office in person 5 days before a game at £25.

It might mean that some that like to make a noise are moved but that will help in other parts of the ground.

• Upvote 1

The bag fulls of shite bought from liverworld by all the tourists is where the money is for the club on matchdays - they aren't gonna jib that demographic for local lads on the kop.

That’s how shortsighted our club is I’m afraid. Other clubs too for that matter.

The PL clubs are ever so slowly killing themselves. Nobody seems to ask the big question: Why do TV-stations pay 3 times as much for English football than i.e. German football? Better football? Nah.. Better atmosphere? Definitely not anymore. So why?

I know why. And I know it’s going to decline. Football in England is killing itself. Once they realize the damage it’ll be too late. We could be the onedoing something about it, but we won’t.

30 years ago the average spectator was male 25-35 years old. Now it’s male 45-55 years old. Basically the same crowd as before only 30 years older. What about 2035?  

What's the big deal about the shop bags anyway? Can they not just put them under their seats and then sing? Regardless, the club needs to sell merchandise because you know, we need money to pay for good players and all that.

Totally agree on the technology though, nothing boils my blood more than to see some geebag with a massive tablet rise out of his seat to take a photo of someone taking a corner. Newsflash fuckhead, the game's on the telly and can be seen at anytime in the future for your convenience.

What's the big deal about the shop bags anyway? Can they not just put them under their seats and then sing? Regardless, the club needs to sell merchandise because you know, we need money to pay for good players and all that.

Totally agree on the technology though, nothing boils my blood more than to see some geebag with a massive tablet rise out of his seat to take a photo of someone taking a corner. Newsflash fuckhead, the game's on the telly and can be seen at anytime in the future for your convenience.

Not necessarily true:

More locals in ground –> less shirts sold in supporter shop

More locals in ground –> better atmosphere++++ -> more international popular -> more shirts sold internationally.

What you lose on the swings you gain on the roundabouts.

Kids are overrated. They do my head in at cup games/european games.

More leg room/or standing. It's hard to get in a supportive atmosphere when you're hemmed in like a sardine in a tin. The Kop's much more atmospheric when everyone's standing up cos you can actually move. But then you get people behind you moaning and this leads to arguments amongst fans and sometimes a negative atmosphere (but an atmospherte nonetheless).

There's more atmosphere in the bars and in the corridors before kick off and at half time - then everyone files back to their seat to sit down in silence.

If we start winning games the atmosphere will pick up. But definitely people need to make an effort to get there a bit earlier  and stay until after the final whistle. Including me - I'm always late for kick off and the second half. Maybe we all need to look at ourselves before blaming anyone else.

Until football wants supporters not spectators in the ground it's going to be gash. 

Nail on the head.

It’s an indisputable fact: No football club has any value without fans going to the ground or watching their team on TV.

From a business point of view it’s astonishing to see how the owners treat their customers. They’re totally blindfolded not realizing people is on the verge of leaving the sport.

Clear a block of 6,000 or so seats in the middle of the kop. Write to season ticket holders telling them that they will be moved elsewhere on the kop or in the ground. Put those tickets up for sale at the ticket office in person 5 days before a game at £25.

It might mean that some that like to make a noise are moved but that will help in other parts of the ground.

Why should paying season ticket holders be made to relocate? Because they don't join in with singing? It's not compulsory!
  • Upvote 2

Nail on the head.

It’s an indisputable fact: No football club has any value without fans going to the ground or watching their team on TV.

From a business point of view it’s astonishing to see how the owners treat their customers. They’re totally blindfolded not realizing people is on the verge of leaving the sport.

I think the total opposite. Our ground is sold out months in advance, we have a 30k season ticket waiting list, for every person that's disillusioned with football there are probably 100 people ready to sit in their seat.

That is the biggest problem, until we start getting half empty stadiums that's when owners and the Premier League will take notice but sadly that bubble isn't about to burst any time soon.

• Upvote 1

Why should paying season ticket holders be made to relocate? Because they don't join in with singing? It's not compulsory!

I agree. If you have a ST then you should be protected as they have been the loyal fan base for years, however, we don't have 12,000 season ticket holders in the Kop (I don't know how many mind) even if 6,000 are ST holders, that still allows 6,000 general release tickets to be made available. It would make a big difference.

At the very least it should be trialed. What harm can it do for one season. If it doesn't work then go back to the members sale. You would still have your day trippers spending their money in the club shop, it would just mean that they would be sitting in a different part of the ground.

I think the total opposite. Our ground is sold out months in advance, we have a 30k season ticket waiting list, for every person that's disillusioned with football there are probably 100 people ready to sit in their seat.

That is the biggest problem, until we start getting half empty stadiums that's when owners and the Premier League will take notice but sadly that bubble isn't about to burst any time soon.

I beg to differ

10-15 years ago plane ticket prices were reduced remarkably giving long travelling fans an opportunity to travel. This has concealed the fact thousands of locals have already abandoned ship.

In the near future flight prices will probably increase. With atmosphere at the ground dropping significantly it’s only a question of time before those OTT fans will stay at home in front of their TV’s. With local fan base lost who’s going to attend? 60 year old Scousers?

The way I see it the stadium development is a waste of money, 15 years too late. Good old Anfield will be more than big enough come 2020.

I usually find the ones with the bags are the ones filming everything on their tablets and phones.

"Why should paying season ticket holders be made to relocate? Because they don't join in with singing? It's not compulsory!"          

If you're gonna sit on the Kop, it should be. Everyone else takes a lead from the Kop.

If you don't wanna join in, if you just wanna spectate rather than take part, move somewhere else.

"Why should paying season ticket holders be made to relocate? Because they don't join in with singing? It's not compulsory!"

If you're gonna sit on the Kop, it should be. Everyone else took the lead from the Kop.

If you don't wanna join in, if you just wanna spectate rather than take part, move somewhere else.

Fixed.

It's 2015, not 1975, mate. It's gone and has been for a very long time.

You could be onto something here. The club could strap a soundometer to each fan and those who dont make enough noise get banned for 5 years.

Anyway, the answer was on one of the early pages. Its up to the players to give the fans something to shout about.

Oh and ale, shit loads of it.

• Upvote 1

More locals doesn't mean better atmosphere at all.  Just means more locals sitting on their hands in a quiet stadium.

More about more local youngsters and making it at least more affordable to people actually from the city. It's not about where you're from but you should at least have a chance of watching your club from your city in the flesh. Lad next door to me a BS takes his kids regularly, obviously easier to get tickets but also more affordable. My lad goes mostly on mine or my Dad's ST and luckily can usually get tickets. My nephews struggle to ever go to a game. Finding a happy medium is what is required. As for the atmosphere, more people at the game who are actually arsed and not just there because they can say they go and take a few piccies for FaceBook.

I remember Old Man Dangerously telling me about an away day in the 80s, I forget which club, but apparently we were playing awfully and the atmosphere was shite and some meathead produced a knife and said "Next time I turn round if anyone isn't singing Ill stab you, I mean it!"

The atmosphere picked up accordingly.

• Upvote 3