You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Bournemouth 0 (Aug 17 2015)

tlw content

bournemouthreport1.jpg

Two wins from two, no goals conceded and our £32m striker is off and running. The perfect start really. Or is it? There seem to be an awful lot of pissed off Reds out there, which I can only assume is due to the lingering effects of last season. It’s not been easy on the eye and we’ve got plenty of room for improvement, but is there really THAT much to be complaining about right now? 

There’s plenty of time for that when we start losing, which may not be too long looking at the upcoming fixtures, so at least let’s try and hold off on the complaining a bit until then. We might still be shite, or we could get better and go on to have an exciting season. There’s no way of knowing either way right now.

We’ve not played well in attack, we can all see that, but at least the work rate and resilience has been there to allow us to grind out a couple of wins. That was missing for most of last season so surely that represents progress of sorts? We need more than that, obviously, but if we’d been offered two 1-0 wins to start the season a couple of weeks ago I'm sure we’d all have taken that, so I’m content enough with the situation at this stage.

We’ve got four new starters in the team and a fifth about to join them as soon as he’s fully up to speed. That’s half a new team, there’s bound to be some issues while they get to know each other and it seems pretty obvious to me that most of the work they will have done to this point has probably been related to shape, organisation and ensuring that we’re difficult to beat. The rest will - hopefully - come in time and if it doesn’t…. well I’ll worry about it then, not now.

It’s difficult to add much context to this performance because we don’t really know how good Bournemouth are going to be. They looked pretty good to be fair but was that because we haven’t got going yet? Or did we not get going because they’re better than we think they’re going to be? Those are things that will become clearer in the coming weeks but at least while we’re in the process of finding out we’ve picked up maximum points.

Obviously the two big contentious decisions are what everyone was talking about afterwards. I haven’t seen any replays of the disallowed Bournemouth goal but watching it in real time I thought their lad was climbing all over Lovren. That said it was the kind of decision that you’ll get on some days and won’t on others, so from that point of view we may have gotten a bit lucky.

Benteke’s goal was a lot more clear cut. It shouldn’t have stood as Coutinho was a mile offside and tried to play the ball, thus distracting the keeper. That he made no contact is irrelevant. We caught a big break there. The kind of break that the likes of Lambert and Balotelli never got for example. 

Bournemouth have every right to feel aggrieved at how this went down but that’s not our problem. We’ll suffer at the hands of poor officiating soon enough I expect, probably when we go to Stamford Bridge as it’s par for the course there.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that match reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here.

Benteke deserved the break. He is more mobile and has a better touch than Lambert, and he does not have the inner demons and self-obsession of Balotelli. He is what I think Kenny hoped Carroll might become. Physically, technically and mentally he's way ahead of all of the above, good movement, even ball-juggling and stealing it from behind with those size 12s, as well as  quick passing. I hope he stays fit and keeps getting better and better.

I hate Bournemouth's badge. Designed on a spectrum by a goofy bastard.

The game was shit but i'm happy with the result. That's about it. We need to see improvement this year, Rodgers needs to realise he won't grind another year out, he has to show more, the team has to show a lot more. There's time, no point making conclusions just yet.

Has he ever played a one touch pass in his life? I bet dinner time in the Lallana household is the cause of many an argument. I can picture it now, his missus asking him to pass the salt as he quickly shifts it between right hand and left hand, pirouettes smartly and then absolutely Cruyff turns the shit out of it three times before handing it over, by which time she doesn't need it anymore as she's already finished.

That is brilliant!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was interesting to see that in the season where everything is at stake for Rodgers, he cowers from his apparent 'philosophy' of free flowing attacking football. The introduction of Moreno at LM to protect the lead at home against Bournemouth, is a good example of that. United under Ferguson, would've tried to kill the game off by overwhelming the opposition with wave after wave of attack. It seems that Rodgers has learnt a thing or two from his time under Mourinho, which makes his criticism of Chelsea's brand of football a touch hypocritical.

It was interesting to see that in the season where everything is at stake for Rodgers, he cowers from his apparent 'philosophy' of free flowing attacking football. The introduction of Moreno at LM to protect the lead at home against Bournemouth, is a good example of that. United under Ferguson, would've tried to kill the game off by overwhelming the opposition with wave after wave of attack. It seems that Rodgers has learnt a thing or two from his time under Mourinho, which makes his criticism of Chelsea's brand of football a touch hypocritical.

Bravo, that's easily the weakest one this week.

I'm going to try and better it with the fact he pronounces any 'd' at the end of a word as a 't'.

I think he's probably a nonce.

• Upvote 1

The formation clearly didn't work v Stoke. So to start with the same again was just sheer stupidity from Rodgers.

And we'll now start same again v arsenal and get tanked.

Sounds a lot like the start of last season.

We played a different formation though.

The players were the same so I can see how you might have got confused.

Lallana's a slow version of Stewart Downing. Absolute twat of a signing and the egomaniac will keep playing him because he signed him. I wish he was a committee signing as he'd be in the stands with Markovic, Moreno, Balotelli, Sakho, Ilori and co. Ditto that fucking £20m donkey at the back.

£25m for a player with a good touch (and fuck all else). And Rodgers persists with his Milner and Henderson midfield two (an injured Henderson) and Can on the bench so he can try and somehow prove himself right over Lallana.