You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ketosis

It is mate. fat is not bad for you. Common misconception.

I'm not talking about the fat (and some fat is good for you not all fat). I'm talking about the point your kidneys explode, diabetes rips your foot off and you spend the last moments on earth gibbering and groaning following a monumental stroke.

Some say it does to them. For me I feel totally energized. I've done 1/2 marathons after being in ketosis for 3/4 weeks. I think for elite endurance and strength it is probably not optimal. Carbs are more rapidly turned to glucose but for are level I think it is great. You do look kind of deflated after a bit though.

Also wouldn't mind some input on easy meals for doing this? Implementation both fat and protein?

Eat 0.75 -  1g of protein per lb of lean body weight. so say you way 200lb lean you might be 170lb.

4 calories per gram protein means 170 x 4 = 680 cals. say 50 grams of Carbs another 200 cal's =880. Now fill the rest with good fats. Say 1200 calories (fat is 8 cals per gram) 1200 /8 = 150 grams of fat.  A steak, 6 eggs, olive oil, salad dressing, cheese should get you there.

Don't forget loads of greens.

That is a guesstimate but work out your own figures.

• Upvote 1

I'm not talking about the fat (and some fat is good for you not all fat). I'm talking about the point your kidneys explode, diabetes rips your foot off and you spend the last moments on earth gibbering and groaning following a monumental stroke.

Why would you get diabetes. You blood sugar will be far lower and more stable without sugars and carbohydrates. Stroke, Kidneys?

Why would you get diabetes. You blood sugar will be far lower and more stable without sugars and carbohydrates. Stroke, Kidneys?

What salad dressings are people using (making own, shop bought how much sugar, salt and carbs are in them?), how are you regulating salt intake, what fats are you consuming.

It's not quite as easy as I can't eat bread but can consume my body weight in bacon as some suggest. You might lose weight, but weight loss and health are different things.

• Upvote 1

Eat 0.75 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body weight. so say you way 200lb lean you might be 170lb.

4 calories per gram protein means 170 x 4 = 680 cals. say 50 grams of Carbs another 200 cal's =880. Now fill the rest with good fats. Say 1200 calories (fat is 8 cals per gram) 1200 /8 = 150 grams of fat. A steak, 6 eggs, olive oil, salad dressing, cheese should get you there.

Don't forget loads of greens.

That is a guesstimate but work out your own figures.

Thanks for that. Bloody hate salads and green veggies though but will just deal with it. The meat part I do very much like!

What salad dressings are people using (making own, shop bought how much sugar, salt and carbs are in them?), how are you regulating salt intake, what fats are you consuming.

It's not quite as easy as I can't eat bread but can consume my body weight in bacon as some suggest. You might lose weight, but weight loss and health are different things.

I certainly haven't seen anyone suggest eating your bodyweight in bacon alone would be healthy. Or eating your bodyweight in anything for that matter. The keto diet can be very healthy, though. I still eat a lot of veg in the form of green beans, asparagus, mushrooms and some peppers. The cheese example was just a go-to snack. Most of my fats come from olive oil, coconut oil, butter and almonds.

Just avoid processed sugars. You will get some in veg but no matter.

I eat tons of chicken, breast thighs legs whatever, loads of eggs, bacon, cheese, minced beef & turkey mayo, olive oil, coconut oil, peanut  butter, steak and masses of green beans and brocoli.

For me it is just packing in sugar, rice, pasta and spuds everything else is just guilt free fat. No processed oils or deep fried shite.

Have you actually read or watched anything about the ketogenic diet? 'Cause what you're posting is very "mainstream", live by the food pyramid, fat will kill you type thinking.

Look up Peter Attia, Stephen Phinney, Peter Brukner, Tim Noakes, and Sami Inkinen.

Have a look at these trailers:

Cereal Killers

Cereal Killer 2 - Run On Fat

Have you actually read or watched anything about the ketogenic diet? 'Cause what you're posting is very "mainstream", live by the food pyramid, fat will kill you type thinking.

Look up Peter Attia, Stephen Phinney, Peter Brukner, Tim Noakes, and Sami Inkinen.

Have a look at these trailers:

Cereal Killers

Cereal Killer 2 - Run On Fat

My point is their's a difference between the ketogenic diet and people's interpretation of the ketogenic diet much like the Atkinson diet and people's interpretation of it.

Eating fresh veg and protein, great knock yourself out. Eating a shit load of processed food just because it's not bread, rice or potatoes, less so.

My point is their's a difference between the ketogenic diet and people's interpretation of the ketogenic diet much like the Atkinson diet and people's interpretation of it.

Eating fresh veg and protein, great knock yourself out. Eating a shit load of processed food just because it's not bread, rice or potatoes, less so.

The idea mate is not to eat processed. Bacon and cheeses get a pass because they are bacon and cheese.

Your original argument was suggesting olive oil, butter, coconut oil and cheese as fat sources were unhealthy, but you've consistently shifted your argument when pressed.

It's Atkin's!

Kinda showing your naivety there.

Your original argument was suggesting olive oil, butter, coconut oil and cheese as fat sources were unhealthy, but you've consistently shifted your argument when pressed.

No my original argument was processed cheese sandwiched between cheese is a fucking stupid way of going about any diet, even more so when done just to achieve a target.

Likewise the idea that you can eat as much pre brought salad dressings as you like just to hit a target is equally ridiculous.

The salt and sugar alone in some of them is enough to negate any benefits but then when people see health purely in terms of weight lost I'm sure that the ketogenic diet no doubt seems attractive.